Stila Color Balm Lipsticks (All)

Stila Color Balm Lipsticks (All)

3.9

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I received a sample trio (Aubrey - deep neutral mauve; Jessie - neutral caramel; Elyssa - deep neutral brownish berry) with an Ulta order. It's funny; I've tried several lip products that call themselves a "balm stain," but this, called a "color balm lipstick," is exactly what I'd call a balm stain. They're reasonably moisturizing, although not enough to stand alone for me; plus, they're very richly colored, and leave behind a long lasting stain. Balm stain!

Elyssa is a bit patchy, being such a deep shade, but I was impressed by the other shades' coverage. Jessie looks better on me than most brownish shades, and Aubrey would be pretty much universally flattering. They have peppermint oil, so beware if you're sensitive. I enjoyed my sampler, but there's no way I'd pay US$22 for a full size Color Balm Lipstick; I'm surgically attached to my MAC and Sugarpill lipsticks, anyway.

on 3/12/2018 9:07:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

These come in a variety of pretty colors and look great on, but the peppermint oil was too irritating for my lips. If you're not sensitive to that, these are definitely worth a try (although they're not terribly novel, but they're cruelty free and their color selection is good).

on 1/25/2018 2:24:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Stila is a cruelty free company! I purchased this at my local Shoppers Drug Mart for $29.

I have this in the shade Aubrey, which their website calls a mid tone mauve berry. It is such a pretty colour, the formula is fantastic, and the packaging is simple but pretty. I keep this in my bag with me.

The colour pulls a bit more purple on me then how it looks in the swatches on their website, but I don't mind! I've been enjoying more purple based colours lately. It is a very moisturizing formula, which is what I expected given the name calls it a balm. Given the moisturizing formula, this isn't a very long lasting lip colour. I personally don't mind, but even if I don't eat it still fades away within a couple of hours on me. I do work where I am talking a lot and I probably lick my lips more often than I should, though. If I eat a meal I'll have to reapply!

The scent on this is something I absolutely love. It has a sweet, almost chocolatey peppermint scent. When compared to the peppermint scent the original Burt's Bees lip balm has Stila's scent is a lot more toned down. I personally love this, because it also isn't as tingly as that lip balm is. I personally can't use the peppermint balm by Burt's Bees as it irritates my lips but this Stila balm doesn't!

My lipstick comes in a gold tube, which is circular. The lid is a matte gold with Stila written in glossy gold letters, and the bottom is a shiny gold colour!

I would happily repurchase this product!

on 12/19/2017 11:37:00 AM

Lip Balm Lipsticks are having a moment with brands like Becca, Laura Mercier, Fresh, Pacifica, and more adding them to their collections. Stila released their Color Lip Balm recently with some neutral colors and a few unique colors. I purchased Grayson which is a unique very light gray color that is sheer enough to look okay. I like that this is definitely very moisturizing and leaves my lips feeling soft. This has a slight peppermint taste to it which dissipates over time. Peppermint taste doesn't bother me in lipstick but floral and perfume tastes really turn me off. Overall, if you are looking for something with a sheer hint of color that is moisturizing the Stila Color Balm Lipstick is a winner. My more detailed review and swatches can be seen here:

on 6/23/2017 5:00:00 AM

Mine comes in the new gold packaging and the color I ordered off Beautybay was Sadie. I have to admit, I ordered it for the color alone, the swatches just looked like my type of color, but when I got to try it in person as I was even more pleased with it. Sadie is a beautiful nude pink peachy brown that would flatter most fair complexions. It`s minty and cooling on the lips, has decent pigmentation and hydration, but unfortunately still seems to dry up on lips more than you would expect during the day. This could be due to the fach that it`s a finish between matte and glossy, but yeah, unless your lips are in great shape, this tends to pill and crumb up during the day. Love the color, and would only repurchase if Stila worked out the issues with this,

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I have Bridgette and Vivienne and the Matte (longer lasting) ones,I love it and the minted taste and vanilla smell. Sephora has great stuff, but I baught this one online, MUFE (make up for ever, Stila, Bobbie Brown, Tarte, Clinique, MAC, Urban Decay,Citylips (online only) GeneScene, (also online) and especially Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals are the high-end best for the lipsticks and lipglosses.Great formula. Great materialistic stuff and Ilove the package. Professiona stuff, I can't compare. I miss those slim Stila silver-gray lipsticks.

on 10/8/2016 3:25:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I was given Stila Balm in Gemma as gift.

The color is beautiful and the product has a minty feel. My only complaint is that it pills up during the day and I feel like I have sand on my lips.

I would not purchase.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I think those who have 'older lips' like I do (I am 45 yrs old) would appreciate these (although, as with any thing, not all older gals..) more than the younger gals (although, again, younger gals may very well and likely do enjoy these!!). Just..I think if I were to 'recommend' these to someone, it would be the older gals like myself.

These smooth out the tiny lines in my lips and make my lips look 'younger'. As some reviewers have noted, there is a tingling sensation with these. I did not detect it with the first one that I bought, but I now detect it, so it may or may not be all the shades that have that 'tingling' mint sensation, and some may like it, some may not. I am not a fan of the tingling sensation, but the colors, formula, performance and how these look from when first applied to when they wear off some 3 to 4 hours later, I can overlook the tingling/mint sensation (I am one who is not a fan of the mint/tingling sensation..did I mention that..? LOL.. ;) ).

The cap on these is easy to remove and does not come off easily, which is appreciated. Why in the year 2016 are there lip products whose caps always want to fall off or you practically need a screwdriver to open..?? lol Anyhow, I like the packaging, if a bit 'chubby'. I do not think this is a lip product I would travel with nor keep in my purse, as it just seems/feels 'chubby' to me. Which is a pity, because I really do like the product. But that trivial complaint did not factor into my rating, but just wanted to mention it, as others may also not like 'chubby' lip products.

Most of the shades seem very natural/neutral. I do wish they would come up with more warm and cool tones. Many of these shades to me do not look that terribly different once applied, and I am not dark complected (NC20).

But they are all very pretty, natural, flattering shades that I think many skin tones could wear. Just makes the lips look soft and feel comfortable. Not a ton of pigmentation, but nice enough to make you look and feel 'pulled together'. I think these also would look nice with a variety of makeup looks, from natural, everyday, to pairing with a smokey eye look. Not sticky tacky or gummy feeling.

on 8/23/2015 5:24:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I love the creamy and moisturizing texture of the colour lip balm. I have the colour Vivienne and there is a slight smell and tingling sensation of mint, which I don't really mind. Colour shows up well and has an almost-matte finish. Won't be repurchasing because of the insane price! I bought it on a whim for almost $30, yikes.

MEG - rather on the pale side for me. Possibly a day lipstick. So many nude lipsticks and this isn't anything special. Its nothing more than one can find in any high street chemist.
Its nice but not that nice.
Olivia is better, it has a definite color and effect but this rather washed my complexion out.
Update: The new colour ‘Emma’ is PERFECT. Pale pink, not chalky just yummy

Popular Lipsticks