Nizoral AD Shampoo

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
 Nizoral AD Shampoo

4.2

Active Ingredients: Contains: Ketoconazole (1 %) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate, Glycol Distearate, Acrylic Acid Polymer (Carbomer 1342), Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylated Hydroxytoluene, Quaternium 15, Polyquaternium 7, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrochloric Acid, FD&C Blue 1 6/14/09

The best stuff I have used for dandruff - period.
Makes me get rid of itchy scalp within one use and believe me, I have had very bad dandruff before.
It's a bit drying but I recommend using a conditioner for dry/damaged hair along with Nizoral.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I tend to get intermittent dandruff right around my hairline. I'm not sure what causes it, but it must be some sort of dermatitis. After using Nizoral for several months, I've noticed a distinct improvement. There's only one tiny spot that still has some redness and flakiness, but for the most part, it's entirely cleared up. I began using Nizoral three times a week for a couple of weeks, then cut down to twice a week, and now I use it once a week. I wash my hair only every other day or two. The only reason I'm giving this product an overall rating of four lippies instead of five is because it seriously dries out my long, wavy, mature hair. However, I have figured out a few things to help with that. First, I apply olive oil to the ends of my hair and work it up to about mid shaft before I use the Nizoral. I apply the Nizoral only to my scalp, trying not to work it into the length of my hair. I let the shampoo set on my scalp during my shower (about five minutes). I rinse out the Nizoral, and then wash the length of my hair with a different shampoo (Sauve, currently) to remove what's left of the olive oil. I condition my hair as usual (with Garnier, currently), combing the conditioner through my wet hair in the shower. I rinse the conditioner out, towel dry my hair, and then apply Pantene Pro-V Expert Collection Advanced Keratin Repair Split End Fuser to the ends of my hair and work it up to about mid shaft. After that, I'm ready to blow dry and flat iron my hair. It turns out looking very healthy. That might seem like a lot of work and a lot of product, but I only have to do it once a week now. That's a small price to pay for relief from itching and dandruff. As a side note, I primarily purchased this product to see if it would help reduce my menopausal hair loss, because I read it has antiandrogen properties. I can't say I've seen a significant difference there, but perhaps a slight improvement has been made overall. Be that as it may, I will continue using Nizoral for as long as they have the good sense to make it, in spite of the high price.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I've tried H&S, Tsal/Tgel, Selsun, Clear scalp therapy and Paul Mitchell Tea Tree. Nizoral is the only thing that has worked for me completely. No more itching or scalp build up, very very very little flaking. Compared to what I had before using it, my scalp seems really normal. It's expensive for shampoo (about $20 at CVS), but I'm happy to pay it because it WORKS. Don't use it as an every day shampoo though or you'll completely dry out your hair.

***UPDATE 06/08/14*** Still using this product. Still working.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I've been dealing with dandruff for several years now and I've tried everything: Head and Shoulders, Selsun Blue, T-Gel, T-Sal, and Tea Tree Oil shampoo. I'd left this for last, as it is pretty expensive, but I read the glowing reviews, so I had high hopes for it. I used it faithfully for three months, but there was no difference in the condition of my scalp. On the plus side, it was less drying to my hair than the Tea Tree Oil shampoo I had used (Trader Joe's), but it still didn't help the dandruff. I guess I'm going to have to break down and go to the doctor.

on 9/30/2012 9:08:00 AM

I started using Nizoral about two weeks ago because I'd been getting dandruff and an irritated, itchy scalp. I've only been using it for the two weeks but even after the first shampoo I noticed a dramatic difference in my hair fallout. There was MUCH less hair fallout! That in itself was a brilliant thing for me, I wasn't expecting it help with hair loss, but it has. I have since learned that the ingredient in it: ketoconazole has been proven to help hair loss. I'm so impressed, I've bought ridiculously expensive products over the past few months and they were absolutely useless and a waste of money, but this is the best haircare product I've used in a long, long time! I still had some dandruff after the first one or two uses, but it's much better now.

They suggest only using for a month and then once or twice a week after but I don't know if I want to part with it that easily! I have tiny bald patches on various parts of my head. My hair is also thin and limp, so I'm intrigued as to what difference Nizoral is going to make to my hair with long term use. I knew that I had a lot of hair fallout but I didn't realize how bad it had been until I noticed the big reduction in shedding after using Nizoral.

My dad used to use it and it was the only shampoo that completely cleared his dandruff.

I would recommend this product to anyone with an irritated scalp and people with excess hair loss, the fact that it worked after just ONE wash is seriously impressive.

My scalp still does itch sometimes when my hair is greasy, but that doesn't bother me simply because I'm so impressed with the reduction in hair loss because of Nizoral.

I love it and I'll continue to buy it, it's definitely worth the money after spending a fortune on 'professional' haircare systems only for them to be a complete and utter waste of time and money!

on 10/7/2011 4:25:00 PM

For me this is truly a miracle product! I have had SD for years and nothing helped until I bought this. *Immediatly* my scalp was normal. No itching, scaling, flaking! My hair is also not falling out from the clogged scalp pores anymore. Thank god. I can't live without this product.
I had tried Head and Shoulders, Selson Blue, etc and those just seemed to make my scalp dry and itch/flake even more. Nizoral calms my scalp internally.
Yes its expensive, smells strongly medicin-y, drys ur hair out some (condition well after use) but it WORKS.
Everyone has a different condition that causes itchy/flaky/scaly scalp but if you have tried everything else with no results or just so so results this is definatly worth the money.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is about the shampoo, and the cream. I hate this stuff! It doesn't work for me, and actually makes my SD worse. I've read that people wash their face with this, and all I can say is OUCH! If you have sensitive skin, this could make your SD (or skin issue worse) worse, because of the sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), so proceed with caution. I have this in the 2% cream, and it still burns my skin, and has no real benefit, for me. Allergy maybe? Quite possibly, but my SD was very bad, and continued to get worse, so much so that the dr. thought it was acne rosacea, as rosacea often mimics SD, and eczema. The treatments seem to be pretty much the same, so does it really matter what it really is? It's amazing how we can send a man (and women) into space, but drs. are baffled by almost every single skin ailment out there! I sense wasted tax dollars, but that's another debate. I did try the ketoconazole cream on and off for a week. I know that sounds like I didn't give it a chance, but this isn't something that takes time to work. This is an instant gratification product. Results are pretty much immediate, with improvement from every use. My dr. said that most of the itchies should go away within an hour, and that I should see a vast improvemnt in your skin within 24 hrs. It didn't happen. What I did get from the shampoo was raw red skin that eventually peeled off. If you never do patch tests with products, then this is the one that you will want to do one with. As for the cream, it didn't help my skin, and it was raw, but it was raw before I tried it. I did try the 2% cream on my feet, and the results were amazing. That is why I doubt I'm allergic to it. I have my doubts that SD is caused by a fungus/yeast issue, as people with a high pityrosporum ovale count don't always have SD, and vice versa. This yeast lives on everyone's skin, and there are some ethnic populations that just do not get SD. Diet? Environmental? Stress? I can tell you that SD stresses me out. It's difficult to be happy when your skin has declared war on you, and being miserable is stressful. SD is stressful. The bottom line with Nizarol shampoo is it's better left for the scalp, and the cream is better left for the face, and other areas of the body. SD tends to be gradual, and before you know it, it's a full blown flare up, so when you see 'facial dandruff', it's time to take action, especially when you have oily skin. I have found that at this time, I get the most relief from epsom salt, and I'm almost spot free. I will update on my SD products, as time goes on, but the reality of my SD is that it is probably run it's course, as I am 7-8 months in.

on 2/27/2011 8:06:00 PM

I have suffered with very severe scalp psoraisis for 30 years.
I tried Nizoral about 12 years ago and like everything else it didn't work for me.
Fast forward to now. My little guy Is showing the same signs so I decided to give this another try.
Son far so good.
I am so relieved. I didn't want my son to have the same enbarassing flaking I have.
He is almost free of flaking and mine is greatly reduced.
We use it about 3x times in a row and take 2x off.
Fingers crossed I have cure.
I will update if it Stops working.
It has a strong stinky smell. I like this because it reminds me not to use too much which is important since it is a medicine.

on 1/17/2011 5:19:00 PM

This review is for Nixoral shampoo in general. I've always used a Zinc pyrithione dandruff shampoo. It controlled dandruff but my scalp itched; often. I even tried the "dry scalp" formula hoping that would help. It didn't. I started to wonder/worry it might be something else (eeew! lice????) Anyway, I had purchased Nizoral shampoo to treat folliculitis and decided to actually use it on my hair. Go figure! :-) It worked great. I use it a few times a week alternating w/ my Sebastian Drench shampoo and the itchies are completely gone! I highly recommend you give it a try. I have color treated/highlighted hair and it doesn't seem to dry it out or do any harm to the color or condition.

on 1/10/2011 1:57:00 PM

My scalp's not particularly dandruffy, but let's face it - we all get the occasional itchiness occasionally. Even the closest group of friends are reluctant to discuss dandruff or god forbid, admit to it!

My dryness acts up in the really cold months and that's when it's time to bring out the Nizoral. I've tried them all from Zinc Pyrethione in varying strengths to Selenium Sulfide but none have worked so well as Nizoral, which has the added bonus of NOT leaving my hair looking and feeling like dried coconut husks. It's costly at about $15.00 for the larger bottle but worth every penny.
(Some swear by all the hair gods it makes the hair look thicker but if so, I've not seen it. Guess it's one of those Urban Beauty Myths.)

** Follow the instructions precisely and keep it out of your eyes or they will feel dry and sting a bit. Once the flakes have gone, use it once or twice weekly to keep it that way. Curiously, Nizoral's made in Italy and quite frankly, I'd track it down were it made in Outer Mongolia - it works so well.

Don't fotz around with the cheaper options for this irritating little problem - they don't work nearly as well or as quickly as Nizoral.
Trust me and invest the little extra cash. Your scalp and hair WILL thank you...

Popular Shampoos