Nizoral AD Shampoo

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
 Nizoral AD Shampoo

4.4

Active Ingredients: Contains: Ketoconazole (1 %) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate, Glycol Distearate, Acrylic Acid Polymer (Carbomer 1342), Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylated Hydroxytoluene, Quaternium 15, Polyquaternium 7, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrochloric Acid, FD&C Blue 1 6/14/09

on 11/6/2016 12:21:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This past summer, I was dealing with a pretty severe case of folliculitis, that my doctor believed to just be acne. It was all over my forehead, cheeks, scalp, chest, and shoulders, and was beginning to travel down my arms. The hair on my scalp was falling out at an alarming rate. I did some research into what could be going on with my skin, and found that many people used Nizoral, particularly in combination with low-grade antibiotics, to help treat their folliculitis. My doctor prescribed Minocycline to help with my "acne", and I bought Nizoral as a last resort, to use as a shampoo. My scalp was almost 100% better within a week. I noticed that the skin on my hairline was starting to improve as well, so I tried it as a body and face wash.
As a face wash, it is quite drying, and unfortunately with folliculitis, excessive moisturizing can exacerbate the problem. HOWEVER, this (in combination with the Minocycline and a few weeks later Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid), my skin is significantly better. I haven't had a recurrence of bumps on my forehead, and the texture on my cheeks is significantly improved. My chest and shoulders are perfectly clear.
This stuff worked wonders for me. I now use it 1-2 times a week to maintain the results.

on 5/1/2016 10:11:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Great product that REALLY works like a charm -- for dandruff (as a shampoo) AND body skincare (as a body wash -- follow the same instructions as the shampoo, but use as a body wash instead)! Been using it for years for my scalp and I seriously cannot remember the last time I had a flake. Started using it as a body wash a couple of months ago (for some pimples on problem areas) and wow, it cleared that up pretty well! (And FAST!). Highly recommended, this one's here to stay.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is the only dandruff treatment I've ever used that actually works. Other things that I've tried- Head and Shoulders, Selsun Blue, Lush's Soak and Float, Avalon Organics, coconut oil- didn't do nothing (well, except the coconut oil, that really didn't help), but they didn't make me completely flake or itch-free either. This did.

I followed the directions with the initial treatment period. It took about a month for the dandruff to completely go away, but I kept using it for another month or two. Since then (about eight months ago) I've been using it once every two weeks or so. Because of this, I've only one and a half of the 4 fl oz size in all of that time (kind of justifies the high price per fluid ounce).

I don't have dandruff anymore. And not only that- I'm no longer chained to the use of only cosmetically unfriendly and strange smelling dandruff shampoos, I can use whatever I want inbetween washes from this!

Not that this shampoo smells that terrible, or makes your hair look bad. I would describe the smell as soapy, a bit spicy (not in a cinnamon-y way, more in a slightly masculine way), and a tiny bit flowery. The resulting scent is definitely not unpleasant or too manly, though a man could use it without smelling like a woman. The shampoo itself is a teensy bit drying, but not as much as a clarifying shampoo. It gets my hair clean and gives it some volume.

Overall, I love this stuff, and I have an extra bottle of it for when I run out of this one.

on 9/22/2015 3:06:00 PM

I have stubborn seborrheic dermatitis and this is the only thing that helped keep me flake free. However, it is important to follow the directions on the bottle. I used it twice a week, which is proper per the directions. What I did wrong was using it twice a week for longer than an 8 week period. So, all of a sudden one day after I used it, my scalp was beet red and there were tiny flakes throughout my hair. I went back into the shower and rewashed my hair and the redness went away. So now, I will use it only when I have a flare up. It isn't gentle on the hair so I conditioned the ends of my hair prior to shampooing to act as a buffer.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I have tried Head & Shoulders, Selsun, and T-Gel all with no luck. This is now my HG anti-dandruff shampoo! This has a unoffensive, soapy smell that does not linger and this shampoo actually lathers and cleans! Most other anti-dandruff shampoos I've tried have just stripped my hair completely. This lathered really nicely and still didn't leave my hair dry when I rinsed it out. I have very thick, color treated hair with oily roots and super dry ends. This stopped the itching, stopped the flakes, and got rid of buildup. This is awesome. I would recommend to anyone who is struggling with scalp issues.

on 7/26/2015 10:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Love love love this shampoo. I have severe flaky, skin peeling type of dandruff. I have tried many shampoo from head & shoulder, t-gel, zinc, sulfur, etch. You name it. This is the only product that can keep my snowing at bay.

on 1/24/2015 11:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought this hoping it would reduce my unexplained shedding. I was not shedding extremely much hair, but enough to make me uncomfortable, like twice as usual. I want to keep my quite thick hair on my head and grow it really long so I will not tolerate shedding too much as I refuse to give up having "my dream hair" at 22 years old. I have used this product 4 times now and honestly, it has reduced my shedding with every wash. This night I only collected about 6 hairs in the shower. Barely two weeks ago I was shedding more like 40 hairs in the shower. I use a different shampoo before Nizoral, than work the Niz onto my scalp, apply conditioner on the length of my hair, clip it up, go on with the rest of my shower routine and then rinse it off. It simply works to stop the shedding. I am very pleased. It's not some placebo effect or wishful thinking. I collect the hairs I am shedding in the shower carefully, because I do not want to clog the draining. Just four washes of this have reduced my shedding to about 20-30 % and it seems to get better with every wash.
A few negative points that made me take a point off my rating:
-barely lathers at all . it is a liquid shampoo that will barely make any foam. I need to apply it a few times to feel secure that I have enough product on my scalp. I suggest getting your hair very quickly through the shower head, it would make the shampoo lather more
-very expensive for the quantity. I can tell the price is speculative because nizoral doesn't have much competition. ketoconazole is not an expensive ingredient so the price is too high
-is rather drying on the hair. just use a conditioner

I will update my review after some more time.

on 7/25/2014 7:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is the only thing that works for me! The price isn't terrible and it's not terribly harsh on my hair. Once your condition is under control, you only need to use once or twice a week. I've tried many other products but this is my HG.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I tend to get intermittent dandruff right around my hairline. I'm not sure what causes it, but it must be some sort of dermatitis. After using Nizoral for several months, I've noticed a distinct improvement. There's only one tiny spot that still has some redness and flakiness, but for the most part, it's entirely cleared up. I began using Nizoral three times a week for a couple of weeks, then cut down to twice a week, and now I use it once a week. I wash my hair only every other day or two. The only reason I'm giving this product an overall rating of four lippies instead of five is because it seriously dries out my long, wavy, mature hair. However, I have figured out a few things to help with that. First, I apply olive oil to the ends of my hair and work it up to about mid shaft before I use the Nizoral. I apply the Nizoral only to my scalp, trying not to work it into the length of my hair. I let the shampoo set on my scalp during my shower (about five minutes). I rinse out the Nizoral, and then wash the length of my hair with a different shampoo (Sauve, currently) to remove what's left of the olive oil. I condition my hair as usual (with Garnier, currently), combing the conditioner through my wet hair in the shower. I rinse the conditioner out, towel dry my hair, and then apply Pantene Pro-V Expert Collection Advanced Keratin Repair Split End Fuser to the ends of my hair and work it up to about mid shaft. After that, I'm ready to blow dry and flat iron my hair. It turns out looking very healthy. That might seem like a lot of work and a lot of product, but I only have to do it once a week now. That's a small price to pay for relief from itching and dandruff. As a side note, I primarily purchased this product to see if it would help reduce my menopausal hair loss, because I read it has antiandrogen properties. I can't say I've seen a significant difference there, but perhaps a slight improvement has been made overall. Be that as it may, I will continue using Nizoral for as long as they have the good sense to make it, in spite of the high price.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I've been dealing with dandruff for several years now and I've tried everything: Head and Shoulders, Selsun Blue, T-Gel, T-Sal, and Tea Tree Oil shampoo. I'd left this for last, as it is pretty expensive, but I read the glowing reviews, so I had high hopes for it. I used it faithfully for three months, but there was no difference in the condition of my scalp. On the plus side, it was less drying to my hair than the Tea Tree Oil shampoo I had used (Trader Joe's), but it still didn't help the dandruff. I guess I'm going to have to break down and go to the doctor.