Nizoral AD Shampoo

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
 Nizoral AD Shampoo

3.7

Active Ingredients: Contains: Ketoconazole (1 %) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate, Glycol Distearate, Acrylic Acid Polymer (Carbomer 1342), Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylated Hydroxytoluene, Quaternium 15, Polyquaternium 7, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrochloric Acid, FD&C Blue 1 6/14/09

on 4/16/2018 5:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My dermatologist prescribed this shampoo for my psoriasis. I do not understand actually, because it is an anti fungal treatment and psoriasis has nothing to do with fungus. The shampoo is very drying to my hair and scalp and make me loose more hair than normally. It does nothing for my scalp condition, so I stopped using it after 3 weeks.

on 3/12/2015 11:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I bought this product because I was losing a lot of hair and had excess sebum and Head and Shoulders didn't work. I used it as directed and now my hair and scalp aren't as bad. I only use it now when I notice my scalp is producing more sebum. I would say that it does dry out my hair so I only use it on my scalp. Also, because it doesn't lather I have to use more product so only using it on the scalp helps reduce product use. I would recommend this product to folks who feel Head and Shoulders and Selsum Blue didn't work for them.

on 7/8/2014 2:16:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

product has SLS as an Ingredient and dyes. still irritates my scalp though not as much as others. effective in removing scales on my scalp and not too harsh to my hair. leaves my hair squeaky clean and manageable.

on 3/19/2013 11:01:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I had the worst dandruff ever. Tenacious, too. And this cleared it up in just two weeks. What I like about it is that it's more of a treatment, leaving you free to use your preferred choice of shampoo for daily washing. I disliked drugstore shampoos like Head and Shoulders because it's always too heavy for my fine, limp hair - I needed the extra volume boost too.

It's very easy to use - squeeze out the clear pink liquid, spread around my scalp, massage it in a little, and leave on for about 5 minutes. Then I rinse it out and use my everyday shampoo. It works perfectly!

Very happy with it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I have a secret: I have dandruff. When you're a redhead, most everyone assumes that you have the most beautiful scalp the world has ever seen because, and according to my mother, "redhair is a cascading waterfall of autumn leaves and fire". But sadly, that is not so. It started when I was about 7 or 8, so I've had this problem for a long time. This shampoo is the only thing that has made my scalp feel clean, fresh, and flake free. Don't use this everyday because it will dry your hair out. I don't wash my hair every day because I have medium thick hair that will frizz out of control if I do. I use this about two-three times a week to keep up. My only problem with this is that it will not cure your dandruff, but it will clear it up as long as you use it at least twice a week. Check this out!

on 9/30/2012 9:08:00 AM

I started using Nizoral about two weeks ago because I'd been getting dandruff and an irritated, itchy scalp. I've only been using it for the two weeks but even after the first shampoo I noticed a dramatic difference in my hair fallout. There was MUCH less hair fallout! That in itself was a brilliant thing for me, I wasn't expecting it help with hair loss, but it has. I have since learned that the ingredient in it: ketoconazole has been proven to help hair loss. I'm so impressed, I've bought ridiculously expensive products over the past few months and they were absolutely useless and a waste of money, but this is the best haircare product I've used in a long, long time! I still had some dandruff after the first one or two uses, but it's much better now.

They suggest only using for a month and then once or twice a week after but I don't know if I want to part with it that easily! I have tiny bald patches on various parts of my head. My hair is also thin and limp, so I'm intrigued as to what difference Nizoral is going to make to my hair with long term use. I knew that I had a lot of hair fallout but I didn't realize how bad it had been until I noticed the big reduction in shedding after using Nizoral.

My dad used to use it and it was the only shampoo that completely cleared his dandruff.

I would recommend this product to anyone with an irritated scalp and people with excess hair loss, the fact that it worked after just ONE wash is seriously impressive.

My scalp still does itch sometimes when my hair is greasy, but that doesn't bother me simply because I'm so impressed with the reduction in hair loss because of Nizoral.

I love it and I'll continue to buy it, it's definitely worth the money after spending a fortune on 'professional' haircare systems only for them to be a complete and utter waste of time and money!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is about the shampoo, and the cream. I hate this stuff! It doesn't work for me, and actually makes my SD worse. I've read that people wash their face with this, and all I can say is OUCH! If you have sensitive skin, this could make your SD (or skin issue worse) worse, because of the sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), so proceed with caution. I have this in the 2% cream, and it still burns my skin, and has no real benefit, for me. Allergy maybe? Quite possibly, but my SD was very bad, and continued to get worse, so much so that the dr. thought it was acne rosacea, as rosacea often mimics SD, and eczema. The treatments seem to be pretty much the same, so does it really matter what it really is? It's amazing how we can send a man (and women) into space, but drs. are baffled by almost every single skin ailment out there! I sense wasted tax dollars, but that's another debate. I did try the ketoconazole cream on and off for a week. I know that sounds like I didn't give it a chance, but this isn't something that takes time to work. This is an instant gratification product. Results are pretty much immediate, with improvement from every use. My dr. said that most of the itchies should go away within an hour, and that I should see a vast improvemnt in your skin within 24 hrs. It didn't happen. What I did get from the shampoo was raw red skin that eventually peeled off. If you never do patch tests with products, then this is the one that you will want to do one with. As for the cream, it didn't help my skin, and it was raw, but it was raw before I tried it. I did try the 2% cream on my feet, and the results were amazing. That is why I doubt I'm allergic to it. I have my doubts that SD is caused by a fungus/yeast issue, as people with a high pityrosporum ovale count don't always have SD, and vice versa. This yeast lives on everyone's skin, and there are some ethnic populations that just do not get SD. Diet? Environmental? Stress? I can tell you that SD stresses me out. It's difficult to be happy when your skin has declared war on you, and being miserable is stressful. SD is stressful. The bottom line with Nizarol shampoo is it's better left for the scalp, and the cream is better left for the face, and other areas of the body. SD tends to be gradual, and before you know it, it's a full blown flare up, so when you see 'facial dandruff', it's time to take action, especially when you have oily skin. I have found that at this time, I get the most relief from epsom salt, and I'm almost spot free. I will update on my SD products, as time goes on, but the reality of my SD is that it is probably run it's course, as I am 7-8 months in.

on 1/15/2011 3:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I am reviewing the OTC 1% Ketoconazole. Let me first start off by saying that I do not use this for dandruff. I have a scalp condition where I tend to get clogged follicles which can sometimes turn into small cysts or big pimple like things.(I know it's totally gross) I also have some itching present on the back of my scalp. This shampoo really does the trick for me. It helps a great deal with the itching and all the rest. I alternate this with a salicylic shampoo I get from my salon so it won't lose it's efficacy. The one thing I absolutely LOVE about the shampoo is that it really truly honestly is color safe. I know this because I have a red demi permanent color in my hair. Red is the most likely to fade from washing and this doesn't do a thing to it! (yay) One other thing this shampoo is good for is as a face wash if you suffer from seborrheic dermatitis. I used this myself on my sensitive skin to get those symptoms under control before being scrip a ketoconazole cream instead which works much much much better. But in a pinch it really does help with the itching and peeling if used twice a day or so. but do expect a bit of burning sensation and a little redness when you first use this on the face. One key thing to mention: in order for this to work you MUST let it sit on your skin/scalp for 10 min or so before rinsing. I think it is nice to have a product like this on the market that actually works :) I would recommend this to anyone who struggles with dandruff or my above mentioned condition.. even if you think you have tried everything. It is definitely worth a shot.

on 12/26/2009 1:48:00 AM

After reading the good reviews I decided to try Nizoral since my hair is falling out due to seborrheic dermatitis (dandruff).

I have oily scalp (sometimes with itching but without flaking) and I figured this would work because of the antifungal properties of the ketoconazole.

I have been using it for almost 6 weeks and I donīt really notice any change in my scalp and it did not work for stopping hair loss.

I did not notice any irritation or dryness after using it it but doesn't do anything spectacular and it is a little bit expensive.

Maybe, it is only a good option if you have dry or flaky scalp.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I used to have a single flaky patch on my scalp, and I have to conclude that it wasn't fungal, because Nizoral somehow made it really, really bad. I much prefer a little itching and slight flaking to what happened after I used this, which I will spare you the description of. Part of the problem is that my hair is oily, so I have to use another shampoo before the Nizoral for it to get to my scalp at all - of course, after that my hair is fried no matter what moisturizing or gentle shampoo I use beforehand. The clean scent isn't bad, the hot pink dye gets hot pink blotches everywhere, and I hate the tiny, inconvenient bottle. What did clear up my scalp was Aussie Cleanse & Mend shampoo.