Nizoral AD Shampoo

Filtered by skin type : Oily
 Nizoral AD Shampoo

4.7

Active Ingredients: Contains: Ketoconazole (1 %) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate, Glycol Distearate, Acrylic Acid Polymer (Carbomer 1342), Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylated Hydroxytoluene, Quaternium 15, Polyquaternium 7, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrochloric Acid, FD&C Blue 1 6/14/09

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is the only dandruff treatment I've ever used that actually works. Other things that I've tried- Head and Shoulders, Selsun Blue, Lush's Soak and Float, Avalon Organics, coconut oil- didn't do nothing (well, except the coconut oil, that really didn't help), but they didn't make me completely flake or itch-free either. This did.

I followed the directions with the initial treatment period. It took about a month for the dandruff to completely go away, but I kept using it for another month or two. Since then (about eight months ago) I've been using it once every two weeks or so. Because of this, I've only one and a half of the 4 fl oz size in all of that time (kind of justifies the high price per fluid ounce).

I don't have dandruff anymore. And not only that- I'm no longer chained to the use of only cosmetically unfriendly and strange smelling dandruff shampoos, I can use whatever I want inbetween washes from this!

Not that this shampoo smells that terrible, or makes your hair look bad. I would describe the smell as soapy, a bit spicy (not in a cinnamon-y way, more in a slightly masculine way), and a tiny bit flowery. The resulting scent is definitely not unpleasant or too manly, though a man could use it without smelling like a woman. The shampoo itself is a teensy bit drying, but not as much as a clarifying shampoo. It gets my hair clean and gives it some volume.

Overall, I love this stuff, and I have an extra bottle of it for when I run out of this one.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I have tried Head & Shoulders, Selsun, and T-Gel all with no luck. This is now my HG anti-dandruff shampoo! This has a unoffensive, soapy smell that does not linger and this shampoo actually lathers and cleans! Most other anti-dandruff shampoos I've tried have just stripped my hair completely. This lathered really nicely and still didn't leave my hair dry when I rinsed it out. I have very thick, color treated hair with oily roots and super dry ends. This stopped the itching, stopped the flakes, and got rid of buildup. This is awesome. I would recommend to anyone who is struggling with scalp issues.

on 7/25/2014 7:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is the only thing that works for me! The price isn't terrible and it's not terribly harsh on my hair. Once your condition is under control, you only need to use once or twice a week. I've tried many other products but this is my HG.

on 1/19/2012 9:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Terrible dandruff, but not itchy scalp. Just very flaky. I tried a similar-priced zinc based product and got no results. Bought the Nizaral 1% based on the MUA reviews. Got it for $11.99 on sale at Ralph's of all places. The first few days - NOTHING. I was sure I would have to go back to the dermatologist. But then, around the 3rd/4th day, the dandruff was GONE! It's been two weeks and still nothing. Yes, it's a small bottle, but definitely worth it.

on 7/21/2011 10:57:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I don't know what was going on with my scalp but out of no where it started to flake, peel, itch and my scalp was so sore I didn't even want to comb my hair. This went on for weeks. Finally, out of desperation I started searching online for a cure and of course I consulted my trusty MakeupAlley and came across Nizoral. No word of a lie, I've used it 2x now and my scalp is healed. Absolutely no flakes, no itching and I can comb my hair again without fear. I Absolutely would buy this again without hesitation!

on 5/1/2011 5:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was "officially" diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis in March 2010 and the dermatologist I saw at that time recommended I try Nizoral to combat the symptoms. My SD manifests itself by causing breakouts on the back of my head and neck, and flaky red patches along my brow. He told me to wash my hair and face with this about three times a week for a few months and that should clear up the symptoms. Well, it did work but seemed a bit too drying for me. The active ingredient in this product is ketoconazole, which is a very powerful antifungal. I no longer use Nizoral for SD (a 3% BHA shampoo seems to keep my scalp in check and SD is not currently present on my face) but would buy again if I need to. I do recommend this highly if you or a friend/family member has a persistent or severe case of dandruff or SD and the normal stuff (Head and Shoulders, T-Gel, etc.) had no effect. Since it's antifungal as well, this may work well for something like athlete's foot (though I've never tried that myself). Please note: Nizoral is not an everyday shampoo, it is a treatment shampoo so you only need to use it once every few days.

on 12/14/2009 6:00:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was cursed with pretty serious dandruff all my life - nothing I tried ever worked. Head and Shoulders, Selsun Blue and even rubbing my scalp with baking soda did not help. Then one night I was browsing through MUA and noticed the reviews on Nizoral. The reviews convinced me to give it a try, and I am very grateful to this community! After 3 uses (every other day), my dandruff and itchy scalp pretty much disappeared. I stopped using it and switched back to my Dove shampoo. When I see early signs of flaking again, I wash once with Nizoral and it generally does the trick.

To maximize effectiveness of Nizoral (or any anti-dandruff shampoo):
- Do not use it continuously (3 times a week MAX) or the scalp will build resistance to that shampoo and your dandruff will come back. If that happens, you could try rotating to another anti-dandruff shampoo.
- Leave it on the scalp for around 5-10 minutes (no more than that or it'll cause irritation) before rinsing to let it work into the skin.
-Do not rewash your scalp with another shampoo (even though it's a lil stinky ><) because the residue left over from the Nizoral shampoo will allow it to be more effective.

It doesn't have the greatest smell, and it does leave your hair somewhat dry. However, I find that following up with a conditioner helps with the dryness. I definitely recommend this product.

(Updated: 2/19/2010)

on 10/6/2008 12:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Dries out hair like crazy but for my specific dandruff problem, it works like a charm. i used the 2% initially and went on the 1% to maintain. i use this 1-2 times weeky interchanged with other shampoos. Must use conditioner after MUST! HG stuff.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

This is the only shampoo that has helped with my severe dandruff problem. I've been using it 2 x times a week for the past month and I do not see any dandruff or experience itching in between washings anymore. Before, my scalp would get really irritated, itchy, dry and flaky even right after washing. The shampoo is a little bit harsh on the hair but I've been using a deep conditioner to counteract that.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

What PoeticDancer said. It works OK, but dries out my hair. It does have a nice lather, color and smell, and I like the tagline, "The Freedom Will Go to Your Head." How can you not like freedom? If there's actually any fungus on my head, I'm glad they're dead.

8/17/07: I'm giving this a five because it worked, when nothing else has for years. Now I only use it once in a blue moon. THANK YOU!