Nizoral AD Shampoo

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
 Nizoral AD Shampoo

4.5

Active Ingredients: Contains: Ketoconazole (1 %) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate, Glycol Distearate, Acrylic Acid Polymer (Carbomer 1342), Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylated Hydroxytoluene, Quaternium 15, Polyquaternium 7, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrochloric Acid, FD&C Blue 1 6/14/09

on 10/12/2018 12:23:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This product saved my scalp. For years, I've suffered from seborrheic dermatitis. Without any treatment, my scalp looks dry and scaly. I've used all of the anti-dandruff shampoos, including all of the "Clinical" and "Extra-Strengths". I used prescription stuff. Nothing helped! I would apply moisturizer so my scalp would look normal.
I found the 60 mL at my drugstore for about $10 CAN, which is expensive. I followed the directions and voila - my seborrhoea was gone! I've been using this for years. I used it every time I washed for about 2 weeks until things were under control. Now, I use it weekly to prevent it from coming back. It's made my hair thicker and smell good. The only issue is that it's drying, so using a deep-conditioner is essential! This has been my HG for years now. I hope to God they never discontinue this thing.
If you have a stubborn case of seborrhoea, try this. It's worth it.

The best stuff I have used for dandruff - period.
Makes me get rid of itchy scalp within one use and believe me, I have had very bad dandruff before.
It's a bit drying but I recommend using a conditioner for dry/damaged hair along with Nizoral.

I believe this shampoo is quite expensive here where I live so I had it bought from the US. Back to my review, this shampoo does work and slowly my dandruff problems are starting to get rid off. Lesser chances of itching scalp at first BUT the dandruff is more visible now. Plus it doesn't bubble, maybe bec I am used to shampoo with bubbles forming later on. I guess I can live with that. This is the only anti dandruff shampoo that's working for my itchy scalp. Definitely going to purchase again.

on 11/6/2016 12:21:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This past summer, I was dealing with a pretty severe case of folliculitis, that my doctor believed to just be acne. It was all over my forehead, cheeks, scalp, chest, and shoulders, and was beginning to travel down my arms. The hair on my scalp was falling out at an alarming rate. I did some research into what could be going on with my skin, and found that many people used Nizoral, particularly in combination with low-grade antibiotics, to help treat their folliculitis. My doctor prescribed Minocycline to help with my "acne", and I bought Nizoral as a last resort, to use as a shampoo. My scalp was almost 100% better within a week. I noticed that the skin on my hairline was starting to improve as well, so I tried it as a body and face wash.
As a face wash, it is quite drying, and unfortunately with folliculitis, excessive moisturizing can exacerbate the problem. HOWEVER, this (in combination with the Minocycline and a few weeks later Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid), my skin is significantly better. I haven't had a recurrence of bumps on my forehead, and the texture on my cheeks is significantly improved. My chest and shoulders are perfectly clear.
This stuff worked wonders for me. I now use it 1-2 times a week to maintain the results.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Hey guys, my review for this product is based on skincare. I have acne-prone skin that is quite oily. When I do breakout, it's quite cystic, but because of my skin tone; it isn't very visible. I also have a lot of flesh coloured bumps on my forehead, done some research and found out it is pityrosporum folliculitis. Something to do with fungas and whatnot.

After seeing many people on Acne.org suggest Nizoral, I decided to buy it. I bought it on Amazon for £6. It arrived the same day, I thought the packaging looked quite cheap and the bottle was smaller than I expected so I hoped it would work.
I squeezed a pea size amount into my palm and wet my hands, lathering it up. I then decided to put it on my whole face as I had a few spots on my chin and cheeks I wanted to reduce . I left the product on for 10 minutes and then rinsed it off. My face felt smooth but was quite dry/ tight; so I moisturised using some aqueous cream. In the morning I repeated the process and throughout the day I checked to see if it might've worked, and it had! The bumps on my forehead where significantly reduced and some weren't even there anymore. I decided to do the whole process again in he evening before bed. And after rinsing it off, I can say that the product has worked wonders! My skin is smooth and my main problem area (forehead) has had a dramatic improvement. I have only used this product 3 times. So I can't be sure if it is working to its full extent, but I will post an update after one weeks use.

UPDATE:
I have used this product for 5 days and the first mistake I made was to use it in the morning AND the evening on my whole face. I didn't realise how drying it was going to be. It left my skin feeling quite tight but after using aqueous cream, it was okay. But on the 5th day of me doing this routine, I realised how dry my face had gotten. It sort of feels scaly in a sense, but it doesn't look it. Other than this negative; the product did significantly reduce the bumps all on my forehead, it is now smooth and flat (no bumps) which I am ecstatic about. It did also reduce any other spots I had aswell. Since my problem areas have been helped, I now have to focus on getting all of this dry skin off. Yesterday I applied honey to my whole face and left it for about 4 hours. I then used white sugar to scrub my face while the honey was on and then washed it all off, using the remaining sugar just going over the really dry areas. My skin was left soft and smooth. I moisturised with aqueous cream again to lock in the moisture. Feeling my skin now, there are only a few patches where it's rough (from dryness); which I am quite happy about. I am now cleansing with aqueous cream and using either Nivea facial cream or aqueous cream to moisturise.

So I would recommend his product for anyone who has pityrosporum folliculitis because it does work. But I would recommend you only use it at night and twice a week!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I used this years ago after a doc prescribed it. It helped but over the years I've been on a natural kick. I have very curly dry bushy hair and live in a hot humid climate. As much as I would like to wash my hair only occasionally, after 2-3 days of shampooing, my scalp becomes unbearably itchy. If I scratch it, an oily substance comes off in my nail. So my scalp is oily but my hair is so dry. After trying baking soda with no success, I tried using Nizoral again and after only one use, I felt the difference. My scalp was not itchy even after 4 days and even my hair looked healthier. I guess the clearing of the scalp helps oils travel down strands better. I will continue to use it twice a week for a month and then switch to once a week.

on 7/26/2015 10:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Love love love this shampoo. I have severe flaky, skin peeling type of dandruff. I have tried many shampoo from head & shoulder, t-gel, zinc, sulfur, etch. You name it. This is the only product that can keep my snowing at bay.

on 5/1/2015 9:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

My scalp is usually oily, with dry ends to my long hair, though I hadnít had a major dandruff problem in years, and Head & Shoulders had kept my scalp in moderate condition on a regular basis (I was never really a fan of Head & Shoulders and I continued to use it out of habit). But when I became pregnant with my forth child, and a harsh winter hit at the same time, my skin and scalp rebelled. The flakiness of my face and scalp were uncontrollable and embarrassing. I found out I had seborrheic dermatitis made worse by my eczema. I started treating my face with hydrocortisone and an antifungal, but my scalp I treated with this. After one use, my scalp felt more comfortable, not as itchy, though the flakes werenít really improved. Two weeks later (shampooing with this every other day), my scalp was significantly less flaky and didnít itch at all. The bottle recommends using this shampoo 3-4 times a week for eight weeks then only as needed. For me it was about ten weeks before the dandruff was truly manageable with once or twice a week. That was also about the time that my skin calmed down too so it is possible that my skin and scalp issues wouldíve resolved themselves. Still, the results of this were so immediate that I know it helped so I will continue to use it as needed and purchase again when I run out. On a side note: my nine-year-old daughter has a horrible oily scalp (but no flakes) and this shampoo did nothing for her, I need to keep searching for something for her.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Whenever my PCOS flares up and I miss my monthly cycle, I concurrently get a whopper Sebhorreic Dermatitis outbreak. I guess they're both down to stress. Anywho, this helped me during the absolute worst SD of my life a few months ago; within a week the dandruff and itching had improved drastically.
Unfortunately, it's damn expensive, leaves a greasy buildup in the hair at the crown, and the effects don't last long for me. Switched to Head & Shoulders 'for itchy scalps', and it seems to be working better than this, which I didn't expect due to my suspected reaction to SLS. Way more product for your money, too.

on 4/12/2012 9:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I am probably on my fifth bottle of this- and I have tried many (head and shoulders, garnier, selsun, neutrogena t gel, loreal, etc) that have either not worked at all or worked minimally.
Nizoral does dry my hair out so I would recommend a good conditioner and dont overdo it. When I have bad issues (they crop up every now and then, Im not sure why) I use it every other time I wash my hair but when Im not having issues I use it maybe once a month. It takes about three times of washing my hair with it to get rid of all problems but they are alleviated after the first use.