Nizoral AD Shampoo

Filtered by skin type : Normal
 Nizoral AD Shampoo

4.6

Active Ingredients: Contains: Ketoconazole (1 %) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate, Glycol Distearate, Acrylic Acid Polymer (Carbomer 1342), Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylated Hydroxytoluene, Quaternium 15, Polyquaternium 7, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrochloric Acid, FD&C Blue 1 6/14/09

on 1/24/2015 11:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought this hoping it would reduce my unexplained shedding. I was not shedding extremely much hair, but enough to make me uncomfortable, like twice as usual. I want to keep my quite thick hair on my head and grow it really long so I will not tolerate shedding too much as I refuse to give up having "my dream hair" at 22 years old. I have used this product 4 times now and honestly, it has reduced my shedding with every wash. This night I only collected about 6 hairs in the shower. Barely two weeks ago I was shedding more like 40 hairs in the shower. I use a different shampoo before Nizoral, than work the Niz onto my scalp, apply conditioner on the length of my hair, clip it up, go on with the rest of my shower routine and then rinse it off. It simply works to stop the shedding. I am very pleased. It's not some placebo effect or wishful thinking. I collect the hairs I am shedding in the shower carefully, because I do not want to clog the draining. Just four washes of this have reduced my shedding to about 20-30 % and it seems to get better with every wash.
A few negative points that made me take a point off my rating:
-barely lathers at all . it is a liquid shampoo that will barely make any foam. I need to apply it a few times to feel secure that I have enough product on my scalp. I suggest getting your hair very quickly through the shower head, it would make the shampoo lather more
-very expensive for the quantity. I can tell the price is speculative because nizoral doesn't have much competition. ketoconazole is not an expensive ingredient so the price is too high
-is rather drying on the hair. just use a conditioner

I will update my review after some more time.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I tend to get intermittent dandruff right around my hairline. I'm not sure what causes it, but it must be some sort of dermatitis. After using Nizoral for several months, I've noticed a distinct improvement. There's only one tiny spot that still has some redness and flakiness, but for the most part, it's entirely cleared up. I began using Nizoral three times a week for a couple of weeks, then cut down to twice a week, and now I use it once a week. I wash my hair only every other day or two. The only reason I'm giving this product an overall rating of four lippies instead of five is because it seriously dries out my long, wavy, mature hair. However, I have figured out a few things to help with that. First, I apply olive oil to the ends of my hair and work it up to about mid shaft before I use the Nizoral. I apply the Nizoral only to my scalp, trying not to work it into the length of my hair. I let the shampoo set on my scalp during my shower (about five minutes). I rinse out the Nizoral, and then wash the length of my hair with a different shampoo (Sauve, currently) to remove what's left of the olive oil. I condition my hair as usual (with Garnier, currently), combing the conditioner through my wet hair in the shower. I rinse the conditioner out, towel dry my hair, and then apply Pantene Pro-V Expert Collection Advanced Keratin Repair Split End Fuser to the ends of my hair and work it up to about mid shaft. After that, I'm ready to blow dry and flat iron my hair. It turns out looking very healthy. That might seem like a lot of work and a lot of product, but I only have to do it once a week now. That's a small price to pay for relief from itching and dandruff. As a side note, I primarily purchased this product to see if it would help reduce my menopausal hair loss, because I read it has antiandrogen properties. I can't say I've seen a significant difference there, but perhaps a slight improvement has been made overall. Be that as it may, I will continue using Nizoral for as long as they have the good sense to make it, in spite of the high price.

on 8/16/2011 8:15:00 PM

I've had problems with dandruff for many years and have tried every kind of dandruff shampoo available. I'd avoided Nizoral because of the price but finally I just broke down and bought some and I'm so glad I did. I used the product like it said too, washing my hair twice a week for 8 weeks with it and then once a week after that. My dandruff disappeared. I actually stopped using it completely for almost three months before my dandruff came back. The anti fungal in the shampoo stays in your hair for days after you use it, this is why you don't want to over do it. I did have problems with my hair drying out so what I started to do is 1st wash my hair with a moisturizing shampoo and then use the Nizoral just on my scalp. That seemed to help a lot.

on 10/15/2010 8:45:00 PM

It looks like many people are reviewing the 2% (red colour version) which I strongly dislike and find too drying. However, the 1% (blue colour) is fantastic! Eliminates dandruff while leaving hair in good, manageable condition. Sometimes the 1% can be found in larger 200ml bottles too, which are better value for money.

Have tried all other AD shampoos on the market (including Kerastase) and Nizoral is hands-down the best!

on 10/10/2009 8:46:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This stuff is great. It kept my head free of dandruff for like two years and I just bought it again because my scalp is getting little scabs and flakes on it. I kind of like the old lady smell, haha.

on 8/6/2009 3:37:00 AM

AWESOME product. I had a rash on my back-- my doc said it was most likely ringworm that I could have picked up at the gym, exacerbated by sweating and humidity (I sweat like crazy in heat & humidity). she recommended I try Lamasil on it... which only had a very mild benefit. I also tried coal tar, salicylic acid, tea tree oil stuff, eucalyptus oil, even clear nail polish... you name it. Nothing even came close to getting rid of it, and I went around for months with this, ugh. (in the end, turned out it was Tinea versicolor, which is caused by yeast)

Then I read about ketoconazole, as I was browsing wikipedia for more stuff to try on my poor skin. Got the OTC (1%) shampoo, and within ONE DAY, it went away. now I just use it as a body wash couple times of a week and it works like a charm!

Then, my sister also had a strange rash near her hairline, which turned out to be Seborrhoeic dermatitis (type of eczema). She'd been using a tea tree shampoo to try to control it, with no luck. Once again, Nizoral to the rescue and it went away after ONE USE!

As for dandruff, I had my dad try it and he says it's better than the Selsun Blue he'd been using for years. So looks like this is a winner all around! :D

Overall, really impressed with how well and how rapidly this works. Couldn't be happier!

on 6/25/2008 9:30:00 AM

"Dandruff, seborrhea, itchy and dry scalp can be caused by a microscopic fungus (pityrosporum ovale) that occurs naturally on everyone's skin. During times of stress or change in climate or diet, the fungus can grow more quickly causing worsening of symptoms." Nizoral is the only product I know of that kills this fungus completely. I am using the presciption strength (2% ketoconazole) and after 30 odd years of itching and flaking (even in and around my ears), things are finally under control. I leave this on for the full five minutes once or twice a week, making sure to spread the lather inside my ears as well. Since my hair is short and uncoloured, I have no problem, in fact it leaves my hair full and soft. However, if you have processed hair, you will probably want to follow this with a really good conditioner. When I follow the Nizoral with Nioxin conditioner and leave on the requisite three minutes, the mint totally cools/soothes any irritable spots on my head. I was one of those people who could not go a day without shampooing or my head would be so intensely itchy it would drive my crazy - no more. This is expensive but totally worth it.

on 3/16/2008 12:46:00 AM

This stuff is amazing. I've been dealing with an itchy scalp and annoying flakes for over 20 years -- since I was a teen. While it's never been bad enuf for me to see a derm, it's still a PITA! I feel like I've tried everything and almost nothing ever worked for me. T-Gel, T-Sal, T-Whatever -- none of those Neutrogenas worked for me. H&S never, ever, ever worked and the newer versions are still worthless for me. Tea tree oil? Nuh-uh -- my scalp laughed at it, by itching like crazy and producing tons of flakes. Selsun Blue really sucked and it's filled up to the wazoo with sulfates, sulfates and more sulfates -- guaranteed to ruin your hair. Denorex was the only thing that ever worked for me, but it's soooo harsh and it dried the heck out of my hair and always faded out my hair color (and that includes the new one for women that's supposed to be safe for color-treated hair -- BTW, it ain't). But after 3 or 4 uses of Nizoral, my scalp doesn't itch anymore and I have absolutely no flakes whatsoever. This is nothing short of a miracle. I just colored my hair before I started to use Nizoral and it doesn't seem to have affected or faded my color at all. WOWZA!!!! Now I'm hoping I might actually be able to go for more than a week without using dandruff shampoo -- which I haven't done for over 20 years! Nizoral is expensive but well worth it for results like this. Many, many thanks to the brilliant and beautiful ladies of the MUA Hair Board for recommending this.

Works great! I spent a little over a month using this 3-4 times a week and it definitely did the trick! Had a normal shampoo smell - not all toxic and tar-like. I haven't finished the bottle and I don't need to since the dandruff has not returned. Great purchase, great solution!

on 6/14/2007 6:10:00 PM

Works amazingly well for me-I cannot recommend it highly enough. I get seasonal psoariasis (sp?) during the winter. This stuff is definitely the HG for such condition or for dandruff. Works so well that after regular use, I only need to use it about once a week, maybe less, just for upkeep. The results are amazing and this product is super FAST ACTING.

Obviously, its going to be a little drying, but given the purpose of the product, "high end" hair is not the result you should be looking for! And so what if your hair comes out a little dry? Just use extra high quality conditioner and you'll be fine.

Thank your lucky stars that Nizoral is out there because it does an amazingly effective job. Trust me.