Nizoral AD Shampoo

Filtered by skin type : Other
 Nizoral AD Shampoo

4.8

Active Ingredients: Contains: Ketoconazole (1 %) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate, Glycol Distearate, Acrylic Acid Polymer (Carbomer 1342), Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylated Hydroxytoluene, Quaternium 15, Polyquaternium 7, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrochloric Acid, FD&C Blue 1 6/14/09

Skin: Other, Other, Neutral

I started to use this upon a dermatologist's recommendation. I had no expectations of it, but it dramatically reduced the amount of hair I was losing per day. It does need to stay in contact with the scalp for at least 5 minutes in order to be effective, however; so I put it in a needle-nose bottle, shake it up with some water, make parts in my hair, put it on my scalp and let it sit for about 15 minutes before getting in the shower to rinse it off. It has been very effective. My insurance covers me for only 1 4 oz. bottle a month of the rx 2% ketoconazole shampoo. So, I alternate with this and some others to wash my scalp every day. I'm now losing only about 8 hairs a day in the shower, and I see no hairs on the pillow or the floors or trailing down my back.

on 7/27/2013 2:56:00 AM

The best for dandruff and psoriasis.... The best. A miracle. I have bad psoriasis and i even apply on body and it disappears loveeeee

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

I am on approx. my 8th bottle of this right now. I don't know what I would do without it, honestly.

I get really bad dandruff during any times of great stress, which for me unfortunately is almost always. Head and Shoulders has worked for me in the past, but I would have to wash daily with it to maintain my scalp. I just can't do that, my hair is curly and using something so drying on a daily basis is a no-go (whenever I use dandruff shampoos my fingertips literally dry up like raisins and it takes 2 different body lotions and half an hr after a shower to get them back to normal).

So I use the Nizoral, only once weekly for maintenance. To combat the drying effects I warm it up and suds it up in my hands before applying it directly to my scalp with my fingertips. This keeps me from needlessly using it on the length of my hair, which doesn't need the medication or the drying. I leave it in while I comb some conditioner through my length, so that winds up being about 15-20 minutes usually. I deep condition and treat my scalp at the same time :).

I do buy the larger size from my local walmart, which keeps me from feeling like I spend a fortune, but it's still irritating because I do run out fairly frequently. But it's worth it. My scalp feels so healthy and I never think about flakes, unless I forego using this for some reason.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This shampoo does wonders for my scalp. I have a dry, itchy, flaky scalp and this helps to keep it under control. I used it about every 3-4 days for the first 6 weeks, then when I felt my scalp was better I use it only 1-2 times a week. A little goes a long way and the shampoo smell clean and fresh. The only reason I am not giving it 5 stars is that it's VERY drying. I need to use a heavier conditioner on the days I use this shampoo.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this shampoo because it prevents dandruff, greasiness, flakiness, etc. like no other. That being said, it does dry out your hair, but since I only need it for my scalp which is where the problem starts, I only apply it to my scalp. I first lather up my regular shampoo into my scalp and hair, then I put a few drops of this onto my scalp and work it into the lather that is already in my scalp. I leave that on for about 2 minutes while Im doing other things in the shower and then rinse it out and condition. Do not get this into the rest of your length of hair or you will be left with a dry brittle mess of hair. The price is expensive but since I only use a few drops every day I figure that it doesnt add up quickly. Still, I wish it was less pricey so that is why I am taking off one lippy. There is nothing that I have found that controls dandruff so well without leaving your hair a dry brittle mess. Neutrogena TSal is okay, but you have to use more than a few drops for it to work and then it ends up depositing into the rest of your hair, making it realllyy dry. head and Shoulders is the same idea. get this if you have dandruff! OH AND IF YOU WANT TO GROW YOUR HAIR. I havent noticed because my haire grows way fast to begin with, but alot of ladies have been raving about how this helps them grow their hair in fast. I think that this is because of the antifungal properties of the ketoconazole in the nizoral. the ketoconazole prevents fungus *gross* from growing in your hair (i guess the kind you cant see, because who ever sees fungus growing in your hair unless you are homeless or something), and preventing your hair from growing. Alot of ladies from the Long Hair Care Forum use this along with Monistat cream (because it contains an ingredients that is also an antifungal) left on overnight to grow their hair. You can find out how to use the monistat if you search on youtube and search "monistat and hair growth". and no, this isnt the monistat that ladies here are using on their face for a face primer. its the actual VAG cream. LOL!!

on 12/5/2008 12:32:00 PM

I have a very small but stubborn spot of sebborheic dermatitis on my scalp. I used Dercos, cut out SLS, tried natural remedies, and this is the only thing that helped. I got it for $10 at CVS. The size isn't a problem as I only use a dime size amount for that one spot. It has cut down on itching and flaking. It hasn't completely eliminated it though. If I don't use it continuously it will come back. But for now this the best thing I have found. If it did get rid of my sd permanently I would give it a 5/5.

My dandruff issues come and go so it's not a consistent issue but at times when I do have a lot of dandruff it's insane. If I just shake my head it looks like it's snowing, not very attractive. Esp. for someone who has dark hair like I do.

I had tried several other brands, Head and Shoulders and a few others I now forget but this was the only one that actually helped.

It doesn't smell that great and the bottle is TINY but it's still totally worth it. You only need a little bit every time, and it's not an everyday shampoo so it actually does last pretty long. (Even more so for someone like me who only has dandruff issues on occasion). I use it whenever my hair starts to feel extra greasy as well and it seems to help control some of the oiliness.

Overall a great product and I will definitely be repurchasing once I use up my bottle.

on 4/15/2007 4:28:00 PM

i use this shampoo all the time. it really works. i've tried many of the anti-dandruff shampoos. they don't hold a candle. seems to be safe on my color treated hair too.

on 1/22/2006 6:40:00 PM

I don't use this for dandruff, I use this for acne. When I was 18 I had little bumps all over my forehead and the dermatologist told me it was caused by the same fungus that causes dandruff. She told me to wash my hairline with it (i.e. the hair above the forehead) and my forehead/face and leave it on for 5-10 minutes. Although those little bumps are long gone I still use this if my face is particularly irratated - it's fantastic. Often overnight I see results. A great acne treatment!

Unlike the poster below, dandruff isn't caused by too many chemicals. I have excema and psoriasis that will occasionally flair up on my scalp. I get itchy and then the flakes and scaling start. I use the Nizoral at the first signs and repeat 1 or 2 times over the week ( I wash my hair every other day).

This stuff works great. Stops the itching and improves the flaking and scaling with the first wash.

I follow up with a bit of my regular conditioner.