Nizoral AD Shampoo

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
 Nizoral AD Shampoo

4.1

Active Ingredients: Contains: Ketoconazole (1 %) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate, Glycol Distearate, Acrylic Acid Polymer (Carbomer 1342), Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylated Hydroxytoluene, Quaternium 15, Polyquaternium 7, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrochloric Acid, FD&C Blue 1 6/14/09

The best stuff I have used for dandruff - period.
Makes me get rid of itchy scalp within one use and believe me, I have had very bad dandruff before.
It's a bit drying but I recommend using a conditioner for dry/damaged hair along with Nizoral.

on 11/6/2016 12:21:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This past summer, I was dealing with a pretty severe case of folliculitis, that my doctor believed to just be acne. It was all over my forehead, cheeks, scalp, chest, and shoulders, and was beginning to travel down my arms. The hair on my scalp was falling out at an alarming rate. I did some research into what could be going on with my skin, and found that many people used Nizoral, particularly in combination with low-grade antibiotics, to help treat their folliculitis. My doctor prescribed Minocycline to help with my "acne", and I bought Nizoral as a last resort, to use as a shampoo. My scalp was almost 100% better within a week. I noticed that the skin on my hairline was starting to improve as well, so I tried it as a body and face wash.
As a face wash, it is quite drying, and unfortunately with folliculitis, excessive moisturizing can exacerbate the problem. HOWEVER, this (in combination with the Minocycline and a few weeks later Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid), my skin is significantly better. I haven't had a recurrence of bumps on my forehead, and the texture on my cheeks is significantly improved. My chest and shoulders are perfectly clear.
This stuff worked wonders for me. I now use it 1-2 times a week to maintain the results.

This didn't seem to work for my SD. I don't know why. I tried using as instructed but it's as if I hadn't used anything different. So disappointed, specially considering the crazy expensive price. Currently using neutrogena t gel but things seem identical as with this. We'll see.

on 5/1/2016 10:11:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Great product that REALLY works like a charm -- for dandruff (as a shampoo) AND body skincare (as a body wash -- follow the same instructions as the shampoo, but use as a body wash instead)! Been using it for years for my scalp and I seriously cannot remember the last time I had a flake. Started using it as a body wash a couple of months ago (for some pimples on problem areas) and wow, it cleared that up pretty well! (And FAST!). Highly recommended, this one's here to stay.

on 10/28/2015 11:14:00 AM

I've been using Nizoral shampoo for several years now. It's the only shampoo that helps the eczema on my scalp. It's like medicine for my scalp. Too bad it's so expensive (in Canada anyway). The packaging is a bit excessive....does the plastic bottle really need a box?
I always have a spare bottle standing by...I would hate to run out of it.

on 9/22/2015 3:06:00 PM

I have stubborn seborrheic dermatitis and this is the only thing that helped keep me flake free. However, it is important to follow the directions on the bottle. I used it twice a week, which is proper per the directions. What I did wrong was using it twice a week for longer than an 8 week period. So, all of a sudden one day after I used it, my scalp was beet red and there were tiny flakes throughout my hair. I went back into the shower and rewashed my hair and the redness went away. So now, I will use it only when I have a flare up. It isn't gentle on the hair so I conditioned the ends of my hair prior to shampooing to act as a buffer.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I have tried Head & Shoulders, Selsun, and T-Gel all with no luck. This is now my HG anti-dandruff shampoo! This has a unoffensive, soapy smell that does not linger and this shampoo actually lathers and cleans! Most other anti-dandruff shampoos I've tried have just stripped my hair completely. This lathered really nicely and still didn't leave my hair dry when I rinsed it out. I have very thick, color treated hair with oily roots and super dry ends. This stopped the itching, stopped the flakes, and got rid of buildup. This is awesome. I would recommend to anyone who is struggling with scalp issues.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

All my life I have had stubborn dandruff and itchy scalp. I tried Head and Shoulders, Selsun Blue and a bunch of DIY hair concoctions, but nothing worked. A friend of mine then told me about Nizoral and I tried it. It is AMAZING. I use it once a week and my dandruff has completely disappeared, my scalp is no longer itchy, and it actually does a great job of removing product buildup which was a nice surprise. This is now one of my must-have products for life. I definitely recommend this to everyone who struggles with dandruff like I used to. This product works.

Update: January 17, 2017

After prolonged use of this product it has started to make my scalp itchy. Not sure why this has begun, but I've lowered my rating from 5 stars to 3 stars.

on 4/20/2014 2:19:00 PM

Unfortunately I must have this product with me at all times. I say unfortunate because I am a life-long sufferer of psoriasis on my scalp and have a rash on my stomach that was diagnosed as "tinea versicolor", believed to be caused by a fungus that naturally grows on human skin. For some reason the fungus causes a slight rash (my father also has this). I sometimes washmy stomach area with this and in warm, humid weather I will rub it in neat for a few minutes and then wash it off. It keeps the fungus under control. I sometimes (2-3 times monthly) wash my hair with it too, and try to rub it in the scalp to sit for a while before rinsing. Although psoriasis is not caused by fungus, I find Nizoral to at least keep the itchiness under control and calm the redness. I've been using this since the 1990s when I was a child.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I tend to get intermittent dandruff right around my hairline. I'm not sure what causes it, but it must be some sort of dermatitis. After using Nizoral for several months, I've noticed a distinct improvement. There's only one tiny spot that still has some redness and flakiness, but for the most part, it's entirely cleared up. I began using Nizoral three times a week for a couple of weeks, then cut down to twice a week, and now I use it once a week. I wash my hair only every other day or two. The only reason I'm giving this product an overall rating of four lippies instead of five is because it seriously dries out my long, wavy, mature hair. However, I have figured out a few things to help with that. First, I apply olive oil to the ends of my hair and work it up to about mid shaft before I use the Nizoral. I apply the Nizoral only to my scalp, trying not to work it into the length of my hair. I let the shampoo set on my scalp during my shower (about five minutes). I rinse out the Nizoral, and then wash the length of my hair with a different shampoo (Sauve, currently) to remove what's left of the olive oil. I condition my hair as usual (with Garnier, currently), combing the conditioner through my wet hair in the shower. I rinse the conditioner out, towel dry my hair, and then apply Pantene Pro-V Expert Collection Advanced Keratin Repair Split End Fuser to the ends of my hair and work it up to about mid shaft. After that, I'm ready to blow dry and flat iron my hair. It turns out looking very healthy. That might seem like a lot of work and a lot of product, but I only have to do it once a week now. That's a small price to pay for relief from itching and dandruff. As a side note, I primarily purchased this product to see if it would help reduce my menopausal hair loss, because I read it has antiandrogen properties. I can't say I've seen a significant difference there, but perhaps a slight improvement has been made overall. Be that as it may, I will continue using Nizoral for as long as they have the good sense to make it, in spite of the high price.

Popular Shampoos