Nizoral AD Shampoo

Filtered by skin tone : Other
 Nizoral AD Shampoo

4.9

Active Ingredients: Contains: Ketoconazole (1 %) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate, Glycol Distearate, Acrylic Acid Polymer (Carbomer 1342), Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylated Hydroxytoluene, Quaternium 15, Polyquaternium 7, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrochloric Acid, FD&C Blue 1 6/14/09

Skin: Other, Other, Neutral

I started to use this upon a dermatologist's recommendation. I had no expectations of it, but it dramatically reduced the amount of hair I was losing per day. It does need to stay in contact with the scalp for at least 5 minutes in order to be effective, however; so I put it in a needle-nose bottle, shake it up with some water, make parts in my hair, put it on my scalp and let it sit for about 15 minutes before getting in the shower to rinse it off. It has been very effective. My insurance covers me for only 1 4 oz. bottle a month of the rx 2% ketoconazole shampoo. So, I alternate with this and some others to wash my scalp every day. I'm now losing only about 8 hairs a day in the shower, and I see no hairs on the pillow or the floors or trailing down my back.

on 7/27/2013 2:56:00 AM

The best for dandruff and psoriasis.... The best. A miracle. I have bad psoriasis and i even apply on body and it disappears loveeeee

on 11/20/2011 10:20:00 PM

I luv luv it. Expensive but works, n 1 week hair loss is like 3%, itch n flakes almost gone. I feel normal again! YES

on 8/6/2009 3:37:00 AM

AWESOME product. I had a rash on my back-- my doc said it was most likely ringworm that I could have picked up at the gym, exacerbated by sweating and humidity (I sweat like crazy in heat & humidity). she recommended I try Lamasil on it... which only had a very mild benefit. I also tried coal tar, salicylic acid, tea tree oil stuff, eucalyptus oil, even clear nail polish... you name it. Nothing even came close to getting rid of it, and I went around for months with this, ugh. (in the end, turned out it was Tinea versicolor, which is caused by yeast)

Then I read about ketoconazole, as I was browsing wikipedia for more stuff to try on my poor skin. Got the OTC (1%) shampoo, and within ONE DAY, it went away. now I just use it as a body wash couple times of a week and it works like a charm!

Then, my sister also had a strange rash near her hairline, which turned out to be Seborrhoeic dermatitis (type of eczema). She'd been using a tea tree shampoo to try to control it, with no luck. Once again, Nizoral to the rescue and it went away after ONE USE!

As for dandruff, I had my dad try it and he says it's better than the Selsun Blue he'd been using for years. So looks like this is a winner all around! :D

Overall, really impressed with how well and how rapidly this works. Couldn't be happier!

on 12/5/2008 12:32:00 PM

I have a very small but stubborn spot of sebborheic dermatitis on my scalp. I used Dercos, cut out SLS, tried natural remedies, and this is the only thing that helped. I got it for $10 at CVS. The size isn't a problem as I only use a dime size amount for that one spot. It has cut down on itching and flaking. It hasn't completely eliminated it though. If I don't use it continuously it will come back. But for now this the best thing I have found. If it did get rid of my sd permanently I would give it a 5/5.

My dandruff issues come and go so it's not a consistent issue but at times when I do have a lot of dandruff it's insane. If I just shake my head it looks like it's snowing, not very attractive. Esp. for someone who has dark hair like I do.

I had tried several other brands, Head and Shoulders and a few others I now forget but this was the only one that actually helped.

It doesn't smell that great and the bottle is TINY but it's still totally worth it. You only need a little bit every time, and it's not an everyday shampoo so it actually does last pretty long. (Even more so for someone like me who only has dandruff issues on occasion). I use it whenever my hair starts to feel extra greasy as well and it seems to help control some of the oiliness.

Overall a great product and I will definitely be repurchasing once I use up my bottle.

on 7/18/2008 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I am on my second bottle of Nizoral. Works very well for dandruff or dermatitis of the scalp. Works well as a clarifying shampoo and I use this 2x a week on my hair. I have fine hair which may have thinned out a little possibly due to dermatitis (I have not been diagnosed by dermatologist but my scalp is oily) and noticed a few hairs sprouting on my scalp.

It's important to follow the directions as directed on the bottle to get the best results which means letting it sit on your scalp for 5 minutes and massaging it in to your scalp.

I didn't think this smells minty as the reviewer stated below but smells like lavender which I love and tingles so you know it's cleaning the scalp. It's a little pricey for a small bottle about $12.00 CAD but it works to keep the scalp clean. Using this, I can skip a day of washing my hair which I normally can't.

Canadians can purchase the 2% ketoconazole over the counter. Ladies who color their hair will find it will strip out your hair color overtime but if you suffer from dandruff or dermatitus-this is shampoo to use.

on 3/16/2008 12:46:00 AM

This stuff is amazing. I've been dealing with an itchy scalp and annoying flakes for over 20 years -- since I was a teen. While it's never been bad enuf for me to see a derm, it's still a PITA! I feel like I've tried everything and almost nothing ever worked for me. T-Gel, T-Sal, T-Whatever -- none of those Neutrogenas worked for me. H&S never, ever, ever worked and the newer versions are still worthless for me. Tea tree oil? Nuh-uh -- my scalp laughed at it, by itching like crazy and producing tons of flakes. Selsun Blue really sucked and it's filled up to the wazoo with sulfates, sulfates and more sulfates -- guaranteed to ruin your hair. Denorex was the only thing that ever worked for me, but it's soooo harsh and it dried the heck out of my hair and always faded out my hair color (and that includes the new one for women that's supposed to be safe for color-treated hair -- BTW, it ain't). But after 3 or 4 uses of Nizoral, my scalp doesn't itch anymore and I have absolutely no flakes whatsoever. This is nothing short of a miracle. I just colored my hair before I started to use Nizoral and it doesn't seem to have affected or faded my color at all. WOWZA!!!! Now I'm hoping I might actually be able to go for more than a week without using dandruff shampoo -- which I haven't done for over 20 years! Nizoral is expensive but well worth it for results like this. Many, many thanks to the brilliant and beautiful ladies of the MUA Hair Board for recommending this.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I have dreadlocks and I cannot even tall you how valuable this stuff is. Its AMAZING as i get intense itchies from time to time. This ELIMINATES ALL flakes also its unbelivable. I would buy this if it cost 90375289y67 dollars its such an amazing shampoo!!! i wish it came in a bigger bottle though

Unlike the poster below, dandruff isn't caused by too many chemicals. I have excema and psoriasis that will occasionally flair up on my scalp. I get itchy and then the flakes and scaling start. I use the Nizoral at the first signs and repeat 1 or 2 times over the week ( I wash my hair every other day).

This stuff works great. Stops the itching and improves the flaking and scaling with the first wash.

I follow up with a bit of my regular conditioner.

Popular Shampoos