Nizoral AD Shampoo

Nizoral AD Shampoo

4.4

Active Ingredients: Contains: Ketoconazole (1 %) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate, Glycol Distearate, Acrylic Acid Polymer (Carbomer 1342), Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylated Hydroxytoluene, Quaternium 15, Polyquaternium 7, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrochloric Acid, FD&C Blue 1 6/14/09

on 10/12/2018 12:23:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This product saved my scalp. For years, I've suffered from seborrheic dermatitis. Without any treatment, my scalp looks dry and scaly. I've used all of the anti-dandruff shampoos, including all of the "Clinical" and "Extra-Strengths". I used prescription stuff. Nothing helped! I would apply moisturizer so my scalp would look normal.
I found the 60 mL at my drugstore for about $10 CAN, which is expensive. I followed the directions and voila - my seborrhoea was gone! I've been using this for years. I used it every time I washed for about 2 weeks until things were under control. Now, I use it weekly to prevent it from coming back. It's made my hair thicker and smell good. The only issue is that it's drying, so using a deep-conditioner is essential! This has been my HG for years now. I hope to God they never discontinue this thing.
If you have a stubborn case of seborrhoea, try this. It's worth it.

on 3/29/2018 2:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I suffer from very nasty dandruff problem that was a source of embarrassment for me since I was a kid. Nothing and I mean NOTHING helped me reduce it. This shampoo is the only thing that has ever managed to reduce my dandruff. I tried so many things over the years with fail. Now I can go days without washing my hair and without disgusting flakes taking over my scalp. It's the best and the bottle lasts me for a whole year. I use it at least once a week to keep the dandruff away, if i skiped it for a week I start noticing the dandruff coming back. But once I am consistent on using it every week again and the dandruff disappeared totally.

The best stuff I have used for dandruff - period.
Makes me get rid of itchy scalp within one use and believe me, I have had very bad dandruff before.
It's a bit drying but I recommend using a conditioner for dry/damaged hair along with Nizoral.

I believe this shampoo is quite expensive here where I live so I had it bought from the US. Back to my review, this shampoo does work and slowly my dandruff problems are starting to get rid off. Lesser chances of itching scalp at first BUT the dandruff is more visible now. Plus it doesn't bubble, maybe bec I am used to shampoo with bubbles forming later on. I guess I can live with that. This is the only anti dandruff shampoo that's working for my itchy scalp. Definitely going to purchase again.

on 5/13/2017 5:39:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I don't have dandruff or flakiness but I did have an itchy scalp from Aussie moist shampoo and conditioner ( which I still want to use because they work well for my hair and I have two enormous bottles). A single shampoo with Nizoral worked - no more itchiness. Instructions say to use this once every three or four days for no more than eight weeks or as needed. I used it one more time to be sure, and then put it away for the next time this happens. I used a very small amount. Very happy to have this in the arsenal. I also read reviews below that seemed to indicate less hair shedding with this. Since I shed a lot, that would be a great plus.

Nizoral was more gentle and less drying than some clarifying shampoos I have used (Suave, Neutragena, organix coconut) and even though I decided not to use conditioner afterwards, my hair wasn't straw like. It felt clean and healthy, not weighed down, but not squeaky stripped either. Slightly more volume, so I assume Nizoral roughed up the hair shaft a bit. For reference, I have Asian normal hair, tending a bit towards oily, that is dyed from a nice n easy box, no other issues. Nizoral brought my hair and scalp back to normal, like a reset button. It has not oxidized or stripped my color.

Note: I got some on my forehead and it dried my combination skin, tending towards dry, out a bit (I noticed that some reviews below successfully use it as a facial or body cleanser) but it did not dry out my hair. I am prone to milia and hives and this did not irritate. Also, it does not have an objectionable or strong scent. A generic drug store shampoo (Aussie moist) and a clarifier (Neutragena) are far more obnoxiously scented. If I could give this product more than five stars for its swift efficacy and pleasant application, I would.

on 5/1/2016 10:11:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Great product that REALLY works like a charm -- for dandruff (as a shampoo) AND body skincare (as a body wash -- follow the same instructions as the shampoo, but use as a body wash instead)! Been using it for years for my scalp and I seriously cannot remember the last time I had a flake. Started using it as a body wash a couple of months ago (for some pimples on problem areas) and wow, it cleared that up pretty well! (And FAST!). Highly recommended, this one's here to stay.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is the only dandruff treatment I've ever used that actually works. Other things that I've tried- Head and Shoulders, Selsun Blue, Lush's Soak and Float, Avalon Organics, coconut oil- didn't do nothing (well, except the coconut oil, that really didn't help), but they didn't make me completely flake or itch-free either. This did.

I followed the directions with the initial treatment period. It took about a month for the dandruff to completely go away, but I kept using it for another month or two. Since then (about eight months ago) I've been using it once every two weeks or so. Because of this, I've only one and a half of the 4 fl oz size in all of that time (kind of justifies the high price per fluid ounce).

I don't have dandruff anymore. And not only that- I'm no longer chained to the use of only cosmetically unfriendly and strange smelling dandruff shampoos, I can use whatever I want inbetween washes from this!

Not that this shampoo smells that terrible, or makes your hair look bad. I would describe the smell as soapy, a bit spicy (not in a cinnamon-y way, more in a slightly masculine way), and a tiny bit flowery. The resulting scent is definitely not unpleasant or too manly, though a man could use it without smelling like a woman. The shampoo itself is a teensy bit drying, but not as much as a clarifying shampoo. It gets my hair clean and gives it some volume.

Overall, I love this stuff, and I have an extra bottle of it for when I run out of this one.

on 10/28/2015 11:14:00 AM

I've been using Nizoral shampoo for several years now. It's the only shampoo that helps the eczema on my scalp. It's like medicine for my scalp. Too bad it's so expensive (in Canada anyway). The packaging is a bit excessive....does the plastic bottle really need a box?
I always have a spare bottle standing by...I would hate to run out of it.

I'm rating this based on the effect this product has had on my acne. I came across trying this product while scanning the internet for the cause of the tiny, flesh-coloured bumps on my skin that I thought was acne. I'm currently on Benzaclin gel, which has mainly cleared up my acne. However, the bumps on my forehead and cheeks would not go away. Upon a google search, I came across the term pityrosporum folliculitis, a condition caused by fungal overgrowth (similar to dandruff). I use this 2x a week after washing my face. I apply a teaspoon sized amount, lather it, and leave it on my face a few minutes. This has largely cleared up my bumps!!!!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I have tried Head & Shoulders, Selsun, and T-Gel all with no luck. This is now my HG anti-dandruff shampoo! This has a unoffensive, soapy smell that does not linger and this shampoo actually lathers and cleans! Most other anti-dandruff shampoos I've tried have just stripped my hair completely. This lathered really nicely and still didn't leave my hair dry when I rinsed it out. I have very thick, color treated hair with oily roots and super dry ends. This stopped the itching, stopped the flakes, and got rid of buildup. This is awesome. I would recommend to anyone who is struggling with scalp issues.