Nizoral AD Shampoo

Nizoral AD Shampoo

4.4

Active Ingredients: Contains: Ketoconazole (1 %) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate, Glycol Distearate, Acrylic Acid Polymer (Carbomer 1342), Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylated Hydroxytoluene, Quaternium 15, Polyquaternium 7, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrochloric Acid, FD&C Blue 1 6/14/09

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I've been dealing with dandruff for several years now and I've tried everything: Head and Shoulders, Selsun Blue, T-Gel, T-Sal, and Tea Tree Oil shampoo. I'd left this for last, as it is pretty expensive, but I read the glowing reviews, so I had high hopes for it. I used it faithfully for three months, but there was no difference in the condition of my scalp. On the plus side, it was less drying to my hair than the Tea Tree Oil shampoo I had used (Trader Joe's), but it still didn't help the dandruff. I guess I'm going to have to break down and go to the doctor.

on 8/11/2012 1:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Medium

I found Nizoral to be more drying to my hair and scalp than Head & Shoulders Dry Scalp Care Shampoo, even though I used a moisturizing conditioner after shampooing. It also eliminated my hair's body, leaving it limp.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I used to have a single flaky patch on my scalp, and I have to conclude that it wasn't fungal, because Nizoral somehow made it really, really bad. I much prefer a little itching and slight flaking to what happened after I used this, which I will spare you the description of. Part of the problem is that my hair is oily, so I have to use another shampoo before the Nizoral for it to get to my scalp at all - of course, after that my hair is fried no matter what moisturizing or gentle shampoo I use beforehand. The clean scent isn't bad, the hot pink dye gets hot pink blotches everywhere, and I hate the tiny, inconvenient bottle. What did clear up my scalp was Aussie Cleanse & Mend shampoo.

on 6/15/2007 9:14:00 AM

My scalp had some dandruff and was getting really really itchy. Other dandruff shampoos werent working so i thought I would give this a try. BIG MISTAKE! I dont know if I am allegic to it?? But my scalp became so much worse.....it burned and itch continually for months. Ended up having to go to a derm. It was awful. It may work wonders for others but it was the devil for me!

on 11/10/2006 9:48:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I had a reaction to this after using it for awhile. I had great hopes, initially my dandruff appeared to be a little better, that was short lived! my hair follicles started to look red and inflamed and my scalp felt sore and irritated-i perservered and sad to say now my dandruff is worse than ever. It is very drying. It did not affect my highlights so that was the only plus. Won,t be using this again.

on 12/20/2004 3:56:00 PM

I had some dandruff and used this product on the advice of the chemist at my local shop. I used it as directed for less than two weeks, and began to notice patches of irritated, blotchy skin on my elbows and inner arms. I immediately stopped using the product, but it was too late; my arms, legs, face, torso, and scalp suddenly became completely inflamed with the worst rash I have ever seen or experienced.

Anywhere that had touched the lather, which was ironically quite fluffy and pleasing, broke out into a rash. I have never in my entire life been in so much pain or misery. It took over two months for the rash to recede, and only after many visits to the doctor for mega-antihistamines and cremes. I even had to use hydrocortisone creme on my face - something normally patently not recommended because it thins out the skin - on multiple doctors' orders.

I absolutely do not recommend this product to anyone with even slightly sensitive skin, or anyone with skin allergies.

on 11/12/2004 10:30:00 AM

I remember several years ago, I used prescription strength Nizoral with much success, but found this OTC version ineffective. I just gave this another shot and it's still ineffective. Maybe I'm weird, but I found that Garnier Anti-Dandruff, imperfect as it is, worked better on me than this stuff; at least the Garnier somewhat controlled my flakes if it didn't eliminate them. This did nothing. I'm happy so many MUAers have had success with this but thumbs down for me. Perhaps I should see a dermatologist or something.

I was rather disappointed that this didn't help with my flakes at all, despite the great reviews. "Kills the fungus that can cause dandruff," it says. I assume that fungus wasn't the cause of mine.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I'd read up plenty on Nizoral being good for hair loss and also its main purpose - dandruff and so I gave it a try some years back and also a couple of years after too. Both times it did nothing for my dandruff, psoriasis or hair falling. My hair ended up feeling completely dried out, whilst my scalp reacted angrily, becoming inflamed and irritated by this shampoo. For reference I purchased a fresh bottle both times and had the same reaction. Had to discontinue within a week as none of my symptoms improved (granted hair shedding would have taken a longer period of use to subside) but unfortunately the irritation just would not allow me to keep using it. Luckily I found another shampoo with Ketoconazole that did help, yet without the SLS and other unwanted ingredients that seem to trouble me.

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: 'Nuxe' - Reve De Miel Lip Balm
4. Cleanser: 'Paula's Choice' - Skin Balancing Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face Scrub: ‘Sisley' - Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

on 4/16/2018 5:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My dermatologist prescribed this shampoo for my psoriasis. I do not understand actually, because it is an anti fungal treatment and psoriasis has nothing to do with fungus. The shampoo is very drying to my hair and scalp and make me loose more hair than normally. It does nothing for my scalp condition, so I stopped using it after 3 weeks.