Nizoral AD Shampoo

Nizoral AD Shampoo

4.4

Active Ingredients: Contains: Ketoconazole (1 %) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate, Glycol Distearate, Acrylic Acid Polymer (Carbomer 1342), Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylated Hydroxytoluene, Quaternium 15, Polyquaternium 7, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrochloric Acid, FD&C Blue 1 6/14/09

on 10/24/2007 11:22:00 PM

This review is for Nizoral A-D Non-Prescription Strength (the 1% Ketoconazole formula, not the 2% strength).
I began using Nizoral A-D back at the end of August. For at least a couple of years I had noticed scaling (or little scabs) on my scalp that I couldn't help but pick at. It seemed like they were always there. I'd pick, and I'd make them bleed; irritating my scalp even more. Also, throughout this time I'd noticed so much shedding. I didn't pay any mind to it until one day a few months ago when I'd looked in the mirror and noticed areas of visible scalp near my temples.
After reading up on female hair loss, I found out that it may be due to an over-production in androgens. Androgens can be a MAJOR cause in adult acne too (which I suffer from as well). Nizoral is an anti-androgen. It actually physically removes a good amount of DHT (androgens) from the scalp.
Here's how I use it: every time I wash, which is every 2nd-3rd day - I lather up Nizoral on my scalp area, let it sit for about 3 minutes or so, rinse with warm water, then repeat with my regular shampoo and conditioner for that day. I haven't noticed any additional dryness whatsoever.
Since using this over the past couple of months, I've noticed SOOOO much less shedding. Dandruff is no where to be found. Even more; I have not had ONE SINGLE SCAB since I started.
I just purchased two more bottles off ebay. I'm even considering buying the 2% to use maybe once every week or two.

How to use Nizoral to help stop hair loss continued >>

Skin: Other, Other, Neutral

I started to use this upon a dermatologist's recommendation. I had no expectations of it, but it dramatically reduced the amount of hair I was losing per day. It does need to stay in contact with the scalp for at least 5 minutes in order to be effective, however; so I put it in a needle-nose bottle, shake it up with some water, make parts in my hair, put it on my scalp and let it sit for about 15 minutes before getting in the shower to rinse it off. It has been very effective. My insurance covers me for only 1 4 oz. bottle a month of the rx 2% ketoconazole shampoo. So, I alternate with this and some others to wash my scalp every day. I'm now losing only about 8 hairs a day in the shower, and I see no hairs on the pillow or the floors or trailing down my back.

on 5/6/2012 12:30:00 AM

This Nizoral shampoo literally changed my life.

For the past 15 years I've suffered from terrible SD and more than anything, it made me ashamed and depressed. My SD was so bad, I stopped visiting hairdressers to avoid the mortifying look of disgust I received when they looked at my scalp. I wore hats and beanies constantly to avoid anyone seeing any flakes in my hair. Needless to say, it was so devastating I'd often not leave the house to avoid being looked at with disgust. I couldn't even stay over at people's houses because I was so ashamed when they would see those tell-tale flakes on the pillow case and duvet.

I've seen dermatologists and GPs and have tried everything they prescribed to me. I'd tried every steroid cream, every brand of anti-dandruff shampoos on the shelf, even some home remedies of apple cider vinegar and tea tree oil. Nothing worked.

I had all but given up on trying to find a cure. Then I stumbled across Nizoral.

I was hesitant to try it, it being so expensive for such a tiny amount, but I decided to give it a shot. Worst outcome, I'm down about 10 and some wasted time.

The first time I tried it, nothing happened. In fact, my hair felt dry and my scalp was still flaking. But I decided to give it another try 3 days later. And that's when it started to work. I noticed there were less scaley skin on my hairline and forehead. By the 4th wash, my flakes and scales had disappeared. Miracle product.

I have NEVER been more impressed by a product in my whole life. I mean after years of suffering, FINALLY I found my cure. I have never felt more confident in all my life. No more hats, I can now run my fingers through my hair without worrying if anyone will see flakes.

This product literally gave such fast almost instant results. You use a tiny amount each time and it's not frequently that you use it, so in this case a little definitely goes a long way. Plus it's odour-less so no strange scents after (unlike T-gel coal tar).

It's only down side is that, yes, it is a little drying so I do recommend a good conditioner after. And though it's pricey, it's definitely worth EVERY penny because it really works. In fact, I swear by it so much I've ordered 3 more bottles of the stuff so I won't be running out of it anytime soon.

As long as this product is still around, I'll be dandruff free for life. :)

UPDATE: I read somewhere that ketoconazole is toxic for long term use. So i switch to virgin coconut oil pre-shampoo treatment, as it is has anti-fungal and anti-viral properties. Rub VCO on your scalp, leave it for at least an hour (if i'm not busy usually overnight). Wash. I no longer suffer from dandruff. Also watch what you're eating. Too much refined flour and sugar also bad for our skin.

A HG for my scalp. Here's how i use it without making my hair looking dull and dry:
1. Wash your hair with nizoral, let it sit for about 5 minutes (to kill the fungus)
2. Rinse.
3. Wash with conditioning shampoo, the one that makes your hair soft (i use Dove)
4. Rinse, then put on conditioner like usual.
I've been having dandruff since my teenage years (i'm 30), but the last four years i do this as my regime and dandruff has gone ever since.
Nizoral also effective to cure the sebhorroeic dermatitis on my nosefold. Usually i have cracked skin in my nosefold, peeling, with burning sensation. Really disturbing if i put on any kind of makeup foundation because of the burning and the flakiness.
After reading in some website about sebhorroeic dermatitis can be cured with topical ketoconazole, i rubbed Nizoral onto the area, let sit for 5 minutes then rinse. Very satisfying result. Definitely will repurchase.

on 10/25/2009 12:01:00 PM

Is your hair thinning due to genetics? This shampoo should be part of your arsenal! Not only is it fantastic at getting rid of an itchy, flaky scalp but it does a great job of washing away DHT. DHT is what attacks your follicles making your hair fall out (for those who inherited a propensity to be affected by DHT).

I have been using this shampoo for about a year. I added this to my regimen of propecia and minoxidal (10+ years). It has helped my hair thicken up. I use it once or twice a week, leaving it on for 5 minutes while occasionaly massaging it into my scalp. I try to concentrate it only on my scalp so it is not too drying on the rest of my hair. I shampoo with my usual Bumble and Bumble thickening shampoo and leave that on while I apply the Nizoral to my scalp. Works like a charm. I highly recommend it!

on 1/24/2015 11:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought this hoping it would reduce my unexplained shedding. I was not shedding extremely much hair, but enough to make me uncomfortable, like twice as usual. I want to keep my quite thick hair on my head and grow it really long so I will not tolerate shedding too much as I refuse to give up having "my dream hair" at 22 years old. I have used this product 4 times now and honestly, it has reduced my shedding with every wash. This night I only collected about 6 hairs in the shower. Barely two weeks ago I was shedding more like 40 hairs in the shower. I use a different shampoo before Nizoral, than work the Niz onto my scalp, apply conditioner on the length of my hair, clip it up, go on with the rest of my shower routine and then rinse it off. It simply works to stop the shedding. I am very pleased. It's not some placebo effect or wishful thinking. I collect the hairs I am shedding in the shower carefully, because I do not want to clog the draining. Just four washes of this have reduced my shedding to about 20-30 % and it seems to get better with every wash.
A few negative points that made me take a point off my rating:
-barely lathers at all . it is a liquid shampoo that will barely make any foam. I need to apply it a few times to feel secure that I have enough product on my scalp. I suggest getting your hair very quickly through the shower head, it would make the shampoo lather more
-very expensive for the quantity. I can tell the price is speculative because nizoral doesn't have much competition. ketoconazole is not an expensive ingredient so the price is too high
-is rather drying on the hair. just use a conditioner

I will update my review after some more time.

on 12/18/2008 12:48:00 PM

About 5 years ago at 25, I started to loose my hair. I was in school and it was triggered by stress. A girl in one of my classes who was also loosing her hair said her dermatologist recommended an anti-dandruff shampoo for her hair loss and she said she found it to work. Not one to miss a beat, I went home and grabbed my Dad's Nizoral and I am not kidding you, within 3 days I went from hair falling out in clumps (50+) in the shower, to virtually 0!!!! I started Rogaine and within a few months my hair was back and all was well. Here I am at 30 now, and once again my hair is beginning to thin. Sure enough, I started using Nizoral again and within 3 days, my hair loss has almost completely stopped. When my tub hasn't been cleaned in 5 days and I look over at it and there is literally NO hair in or around it, I am a very happy and satisfied customer. Now I know this shampoo was originally intended for dandruff, but I cannot rave enough about how much it has slowed down my hair loss!!!!! Now if it would only grow back...off to get women's Rogaine...

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I deleted my previous review because after seeing a doctor I finally figured out what was going on with my scalp.

When I originally bought this I was suffering from seborrheic dermatitis, which is kind of like a yeast infection of the scalp. Nizoral contains an antifungal in it that kills the yeast, which solves the problem, but is pretty harsh on the skin. When I had SD, Nizoral definitely cleared up the problem quickly and I was flake free for a long while with only occasional maintenance.

Eventually I went off this shampoo completely, but months later experienced flaking once again. I tried going back on Nizoral but it didn't do anything, and I thought the shampoo had stopped working. I saw a doctor and it turns out that I don't suffer from SD anymore, it's actually psoriasis of the scalp, and Nizoral was prolonging the condition by being so drying and irritating to the skin.

I'm upping the rating of this shampoo to 4 again because it really was a miracle worker when I had SD. If you have bad or persistent dandruff, definitely see a doctor about it because you might be self-medicating in all the wrong ways.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Hey guys, my review for this product is based on skincare. I have acne-prone skin that is quite oily. When I do breakout, it's quite cystic, but because of my skin tone; it isn't very visible. I also have a lot of flesh coloured bumps on my forehead, done some research and found out it is pityrosporum folliculitis. Something to do with fungas and whatnot.

After seeing many people on Acne.org suggest Nizoral, I decided to buy it. I bought it on Amazon for £6. It arrived the same day, I thought the packaging looked quite cheap and the bottle was smaller than I expected so I hoped it would work.
I squeezed a pea size amount into my palm and wet my hands, lathering it up. I then decided to put it on my whole face as I had a few spots on my chin and cheeks I wanted to reduce . I left the product on for 10 minutes and then rinsed it off. My face felt smooth but was quite dry/ tight; so I moisturised using some aqueous cream. In the morning I repeated the process and throughout the day I checked to see if it might've worked, and it had! The bumps on my forehead where significantly reduced and some weren't even there anymore. I decided to do the whole process again in he evening before bed. And after rinsing it off, I can say that the product has worked wonders! My skin is smooth and my main problem area (forehead) has had a dramatic improvement. I have only used this product 3 times. So I can't be sure if it is working to its full extent, but I will post an update after one weeks use.

UPDATE:
I have used this product for 5 days and the first mistake I made was to use it in the morning AND the evening on my whole face. I didn't realise how drying it was going to be. It left my skin feeling quite tight but after using aqueous cream, it was okay. But on the 5th day of me doing this routine, I realised how dry my face had gotten. It sort of feels scaly in a sense, but it doesn't look it. Other than this negative; the product did significantly reduce the bumps all on my forehead, it is now smooth and flat (no bumps) which I am ecstatic about. It did also reduce any other spots I had aswell. Since my problem areas have been helped, I now have to focus on getting all of this dry skin off. Yesterday I applied honey to my whole face and left it for about 4 hours. I then used white sugar to scrub my face while the honey was on and then washed it all off, using the remaining sugar just going over the really dry areas. My skin was left soft and smooth. I moisturised with aqueous cream again to lock in the moisture. Feeling my skin now, there are only a few patches where it's rough (from dryness); which I am quite happy about. I am now cleansing with aqueous cream and using either Nivea facial cream or aqueous cream to moisturise.

So I would recommend his product for anyone who has pityrosporum folliculitis because it does work. But I would recommend you only use it at night and twice a week!!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've been dealing with shedding for years now, triggered by a terrible Accutane experience which wound up throwing my hormones out of whack and worsening my PCOS. I've tried nearly everything else-- supplements, dietary changes, and things had gotten slightly better, but I always knew I was shedding more than I should.

But that all changed.

I'd accepted my hair loss. I was actually reading up on Monistat to grow hair faster (I've got some pesky bangs I want to grow out, not to mention a ton of baby hairs from when my shed took a turn for the worse...) and discovered it could help shedding. So I picked up the Monistat and Nizoral so I would have a double dose of antifungals, since their ingredients are related. I'd do a weekly Monistat scalp treatment and wash my hair every 2-3 days with diluted Nizoral (just a squirt in a color applicator bottle; you really don't need much.)

I'd had a problem with scalp buildup, mainly since I was afraid to manipulate my hair since my follicles were so weak. Gone. I had dandruff. Gone. And my terrible Accutane-induced hair loss? Back to normal levels. I couldn't believe it.

I'm behind on my Monistat treatments and I still don't have as much shedding.

The only problem I've found is that, although it keeps my scalp healthy, it dries out the rest of my hair. Yeah, it gives my fine hair a little extra volume, but it's not shiny and is more brittle than usual. I've got more tangles than usual, too... SLS is one of the main ingredients, so that's to be expected.

Oh well. Gonna keep using. :)