Nizoral AD Shampoo

Filtered by age: 44-55
 Nizoral AD Shampoo

3.8

Active Ingredients: Contains: Ketoconazole (1 %) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate, Glycol Distearate, Acrylic Acid Polymer (Carbomer 1342), Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylated Hydroxytoluene, Quaternium 15, Polyquaternium 7, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrochloric Acid, FD&C Blue 1 6/14/09

on 4/16/2018 5:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My dermatologist prescribed this shampoo for my psoriasis. I do not understand actually, because it is an anti fungal treatment and psoriasis has nothing to do with fungus. The shampoo is very drying to my hair and scalp and make me loose more hair than normally. It does nothing for my scalp condition, so I stopped using it after 3 weeks.

on 5/13/2017 5:39:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I don't have dandruff or flakiness but I did have an itchy scalp from Aussie moist shampoo and conditioner ( which I still want to use because they work well for my hair and I have two enormous bottles). A single shampoo with Nizoral worked - no more itchiness. Instructions say to use this once every three or four days for no more than eight weeks or as needed. I used it one more time to be sure, and then put it away for the next time this happens. I used a very small amount. Very happy to have this in the arsenal. I also read reviews below that seemed to indicate less hair shedding with this. Since I shed a lot, that would be a great plus.

Nizoral was more gentle and less drying than some clarifying shampoos I have used (Suave, Neutragena, organix coconut) and even though I decided not to use conditioner afterwards, my hair wasn't straw like. It felt clean and healthy, not weighed down, but not squeaky stripped either. Slightly more volume, so I assume Nizoral roughed up the hair shaft a bit. For reference, I have Asian normal hair, tending a bit towards oily, that is dyed from a nice n easy box, no other issues. Nizoral brought my hair and scalp back to normal, like a reset button. It has not oxidized or stripped my color.

Note: I got some on my forehead and it dried my combination skin, tending towards dry, out a bit (I noticed that some reviews below successfully use it as a facial or body cleanser) but it did not dry out my hair. I am prone to milia and hives and this did not irritate. Also, it does not have an objectionable or strong scent. A generic drug store shampoo (Aussie moist) and a clarifier (Neutragena) are far more obnoxiously scented. If I could give this product more than five stars for its swift efficacy and pleasant application, I would.

on 9/22/2015 3:06:00 PM

I have stubborn seborrheic dermatitis and this is the only thing that helped keep me flake free. However, it is important to follow the directions on the bottle. I used it twice a week, which is proper per the directions. What I did wrong was using it twice a week for longer than an 8 week period. So, all of a sudden one day after I used it, my scalp was beet red and there were tiny flakes throughout my hair. I went back into the shower and rewashed my hair and the redness went away. So now, I will use it only when I have a flare up. It isn't gentle on the hair so I conditioned the ends of my hair prior to shampooing to act as a buffer.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I tend to get intermittent dandruff right around my hairline. I'm not sure what causes it, but it must be some sort of dermatitis. After using Nizoral for several months, I've noticed a distinct improvement. There's only one tiny spot that still has some redness and flakiness, but for the most part, it's entirely cleared up. I began using Nizoral three times a week for a couple of weeks, then cut down to twice a week, and now I use it once a week. I wash my hair only every other day or two. The only reason I'm giving this product an overall rating of four lippies instead of five is because it seriously dries out my long, wavy, mature hair. However, I have figured out a few things to help with that. First, I apply olive oil to the ends of my hair and work it up to about mid shaft before I use the Nizoral. I apply the Nizoral only to my scalp, trying not to work it into the length of my hair. I let the shampoo set on my scalp during my shower (about five minutes). I rinse out the Nizoral, and then wash the length of my hair with a different shampoo (Sauve, currently) to remove what's left of the olive oil. I condition my hair as usual (with Garnier, currently), combing the conditioner through my wet hair in the shower. I rinse the conditioner out, towel dry my hair, and then apply Pantene Pro-V Expert Collection Advanced Keratin Repair Split End Fuser to the ends of my hair and work it up to about mid shaft. After that, I'm ready to blow dry and flat iron my hair. It turns out looking very healthy. That might seem like a lot of work and a lot of product, but I only have to do it once a week now. That's a small price to pay for relief from itching and dandruff. As a side note, I primarily purchased this product to see if it would help reduce my menopausal hair loss, because I read it has antiandrogen properties. I can't say I've seen a significant difference there, but perhaps a slight improvement has been made overall. Be that as it may, I will continue using Nizoral for as long as they have the good sense to make it, in spite of the high price.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I've been dealing with dandruff for several years now and I've tried everything: Head and Shoulders, Selsun Blue, T-Gel, T-Sal, and Tea Tree Oil shampoo. I'd left this for last, as it is pretty expensive, but I read the glowing reviews, so I had high hopes for it. I used it faithfully for three months, but there was no difference in the condition of my scalp. On the plus side, it was less drying to my hair than the Tea Tree Oil shampoo I had used (Trader Joe's), but it still didn't help the dandruff. I guess I'm going to have to break down and go to the doctor.

on 2/27/2011 8:06:00 PM

I have suffered with very severe scalp psoraisis for 30 years.
I tried Nizoral about 12 years ago and like everything else it didn't work for me.
Fast forward to now. My little guy Is showing the same signs so I decided to give this another try.
Son far so good.
I am so relieved. I didn't want my son to have the same enbarassing flaking I have.
He is almost free of flaking and mine is greatly reduced.
We use it about 3x times in a row and take 2x off.
Fingers crossed I have cure.
I will update if it Stops working.
It has a strong stinky smell. I like this because it reminds me not to use too much which is important since it is a medicine.

on 6/25/2008 9:30:00 AM

"Dandruff, seborrhea, itchy and dry scalp can be caused by a microscopic fungus (pityrosporum ovale) that occurs naturally on everyone's skin. During times of stress or change in climate or diet, the fungus can grow more quickly causing worsening of symptoms." Nizoral is the only product I know of that kills this fungus completely. I am using the presciption strength (2% ketoconazole) and after 30 odd years of itching and flaking (even in and around my ears), things are finally under control. I leave this on for the full five minutes once or twice a week, making sure to spread the lather inside my ears as well. Since my hair is short and uncoloured, I have no problem, in fact it leaves my hair full and soft. However, if you have processed hair, you will probably want to follow this with a really good conditioner. When I follow the Nizoral with Nioxin conditioner and leave on the requisite three minutes, the mint totally cools/soothes any irritable spots on my head. I was one of those people who could not go a day without shampooing or my head would be so intensely itchy it would drive my crazy - no more. This is expensive but totally worth it.

on 12/30/2006 4:52:00 PM

I've just about given up on regular shampoo in the wintertime. Like DERMAdoctor suggests, I use an entire arsenal of dandruff/anti-itch shampoos, on an as-needed rotation. Nizoral works the best for me. I'll also use selenium sulfide (Head&Shoulders) and salicylic acid (Neutrogena). Zinc Pyrithione has never worked for me, in fact has made flakes worse (?is this possible?). I've also used Aveda's Scalp Benefits, but wouldn't buy again. I've used a plethora of health-food store brands with no luck. The older I've gotten (I'm 48), the worse my scalp has gotten, and I've fought using dandruff shampoos because I really want my hair to look like it used to when I was younger. I've finally given in to the fact that it ain't happening, and my hair is just going to look ratty, but my scalp will be comfortable. Sigh... I do have some hope that with the right daily conditioner, I can bring my hair back to a better state, but haven't found that product yet and I've tried a bunch. I do have to thank the gods for Nizoral though...scalpsaver in a bottle.

on 11/10/2006 9:48:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I had a reaction to this after using it for awhile. I had great hopes, initially my dandruff appeared to be a little better, that was short lived! my hair follicles started to look red and inflamed and my scalp felt sore and irritated-i perservered and sad to say now my dandruff is worse than ever. It is very drying. It did not affect my highlights so that was the only plus. Won,t be using this again.

on 3/31/2005 10:07:00 AM

Nizoral is a MIRACLE product!!! I'd give it 10 lippies if I could. I've tried everything on the market. This really works as a real cure and is worth every cent.

I recommend following it up with a good conditioner, and it you have a reaction, wash your hair in the sink or tub so you don't get it on your skin. I've NEVER had any irratation whatsoever with this product.