MAC #228 Mini Shader Brush

MAC #228 Mini Shader Brush
#228 Mini Shader Brush

4.3

Not my favourite. I haven't found a better brush to apply shadow with so I use this to apply it on my lid. I use a tapered brush to blend and for crease colours. It does the job but for the price I'm not impressed. It feels quite rough on my eyelids as well.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

So, I have far too many MAC eye brushes for someone who only does eye makeup a few times a year :)! But, when I do it, I want it done right! I just bought and have used once the 228 and it's perfect for what I needed - a small, precise brush to extend the crease higher as I am over 50 and am developing hooded eyes. I tried using my staples 213, 239 and even gave the 221 a go but they were too messy and imprecise. With the 228 I can create a crease and then blend it out softly with the 221.
Dear MAC - why can't you package brushes in at least some type of protective shields or something? Jeez - even much less expensive brands do. It's a good thing you are the Master of all things eyeshadow lol.

on 10/16/2015 11:10:00 AM

I love this brush! I use it for my browbone highlight and inner corner. Mine even has a wayward bristle that's too long and away from the rest but I don't even care. There are probably other brushes, even in my collection, that can do a similar job, but this one is just amazing, so there's no reason to try anything else.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I find this pretty useless for me and my routine, so I returned it. I was hoping it was thin enough to apply shadow as a liner, but it's a bit bulky at the tip for that. I can see if you want to do detail work, this is the brush, but I couldn't find any use for it.

on 3/27/2016 3:25:00 PM

I am a make up artist and this brush is only for making perfect v shape oval. And you need to hold it in a proper way to draw perfect soft V. Many people try to blend with it. Dont - it is for packing the color to outer V and drawing V shape:)hope it helps. Otherwise this brush is too harsh for anything else

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

For a tiny brush the 228 packs a lot of punch. I use this brush with every eye look in some way or another. I love it for applying my inner corner highlight, applying shadow under my lower lash line, brow bone highlight, pack color in my outer V and when I want to apply shadow precisely on my lid. You might look at the size of this brush and wonder what you could do with it, but I could promise you that it will be a brush you reach for everyday. I own 2, but would definitely repurchase more.

on 4/9/2014 11:06:00 AM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

I've been searching forever for the perfect lower lashline brush, that will allow me to apply eyeshadow in a very thin line and also blend the eyeshadow seamlessly. No brush I have tried has ever given me the results that I want; the MAC 266 was too thin and created sharp lines, the MAC 219 was too thick and didn't blend eyeshadow properly, and the No7 'Smokey Eye Brush' also created a line that was too thick. One night I was watching Makeup By Kandice, and I noticed she was using a MAC brush to apply AND blend eyeshadow to her lower lashline, and the brush was doing it incredibly well! Luckily Kandice said it was the 228 brush and I instantly went on the MAC site and purchased it.

Finally I have found the perfect lower lashline brush! The 228 has a round-tipped head which makes it apply eyeshadow so well in a very thin line on the lower lashline. It blends the eyeshadow effortlessly, all I need to do is simply swipe it back and forth. I really love using this brush with bright shades like Urban Decay 'Fishnet' or Sugarpill 'Afterparty' eyeshadows, I can create a very thin, blended pop of colour really quickly. I just wish I'd know about the 228 sooner!

This little brush is amazing! I use this for so many eyeshadow purposes. I love this for smudging eyeshadow on my lower lash line, inner corner highlight, brow bone highlight and defining/blending my crease colour. Prior to this, I was using my MAC 219 and 266 for lower lash line e/s application, but they where far to scratchy :( but this little gem is perfect ! It's even great for setting liners. I don't know how I used to do my makeup without this brush. It's very essential and wonderful :)

on 4/12/2013 1:48:00 AM

I never found a good use of this brush. It's too small to apply colors on the lid, it's not flat enough to blend the liners, and the bristle is so hard that actually stings my eye when I use it.

If you only need a brush to pack on the eye shadows, and have other good blending brush and liner brush to work with the color, you may like this. BUT don't expect it to do double of triple duty. NOT a must-have for me.

This is one useful brush for my small eyes. I use this brush to create outer v or cut crease, which other brushes can't do. I love the texture. Downside is the $$$$$$$.