no images

package quality

price range

Reviews

3 years ago

I've been using this amazing cream for years and years...since 2002 in fact! I recently revisited it and my finicky skin couldn't be happier. (see my original review below.) Update 4/2017- I haven't had a jar of this cream for a few years. Last year I went through a bout of bad skin (rosacea and POD) and after discovering that my HG gel hydrator was suddenly causing major problems, I decided to go back to my trusty OLC and ordered a 2oz jar (it's pricey stuff for something so basic!). This was last October and initially it caused redness and slight irritation so I needed to stop using it. I since learned that my skin barrier was severely compromised so I worked on healing it. A few months ago I gave it another shot and to my surprise my skin tolerated it beautifully and in fact loves it! I use it AM/PM as my only moisturizer and I'm happy to report my skin is doing great. I received a description/ingredient slip in my order and I believe the ingredients are slightly different on the website (contain parabens), so I'm typing out what I believe is the most current ingredients (there are no ingredients listed on the product).... Reformulated to remove parabens: Purified Water, Mineral Oil, Petrolatum, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Propylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexlglycerin, Diasonlidinyl Urea. ****************************************************** My original review from 9/5/2002- Old Lady Cream is a sealant/buffer that lightly moisturizes. I was actually surprised it didn't moisturize more, since it's a cream. It moisturizes enough for my oily skin that can get a bit dry from exfoliation/bp/winter. It's fragrance-free, and perfect for sensitive skin. It does contain Mineral Oil, but that ingred. is NOT comedogenic, especially since Sage only uses high-grade Mineral Oil. I use this at night to buffer my Sage Fix Zit 10%. The 10% is a bit strong, so buffering (applying a thin coat under the bp) prevents any redness I may get from using a higher-strength bp. In the AM, my skin is sooo smooth, soft, and clear. Personally, I only use this at night, as I prefer a lightweight hydrating gel (Clinique Moisture Surge Extra) under makeup. Update- I've been using this nightly, for about 2 months, and haven't broken out from it. Update 6/2003- I'm still in love with Old Lady Cream and I am planning on re-purchasing this week! Beyond the use above, I also like to use it after I wax my upper lip...I apply a thick layer, then go to bed. In the AM, the upper lip area is calm, smooth, and soft! I have tried it under makeup, and it works nicely as long as I use just the tiniest, tiniest amount. OLC works great for my slightly oily/acne-prone/sensitive skin. Ingredients: Purified Water, Mineral Oil, Petrolatum, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Propylene Glycol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diasonlidinyl Urea. May also contain: Cold Pressed Aloe Vera, Hydrolyzed Sunflower and Safflower Oil, Bee Propylis Gel, Allantoin.

About reviewer (627 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrown, Straight, Medium

10 years ago

I only use this on my eye area & on my lips. It is really thick but works great even if you have some dry patches on your face. I can't imagine using it all over the face, but you could if you are really dry. It isn't a moisturizer though, they call it a sealant.

About reviewer (25 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Coarse

EyesHazel

10 years ago

I use this over my moisturizer (either Cerave lotion or Clinique DDML) in the colder months to seal in moisture and protect my sensitive skin from the cold and wind. It's light and fluffy, works great as an eye cream especially if you're worried about millia or have sensitive eyes like I do. Doesn't break me out or irritate my rosacea which is a miracle. Have repurchased several times.

About reviewer (403 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Warm

HairBlond, Curly, Fine

11 years ago

If you check out some of my other reviews (for Sage Hydrating Emulsion) or notepad, you will know that I've been "moisturizer fear-based" forever. I'd use retinoids since my 20s (I am now close to 50!! eeek! I mean, yo! What up to plastic surgery?) to clear up cystic acne/clogged pores. Unfortunately, if you check out the MUA Skincare board, redness, irritation, and flakes are the routine Will it go away? What products will work for your skin? The idea of an OIL CLEANSER and even ordering from Asia? Ordering retinoids from Mexico? What? Two years ago, I started studying the MUA Skincare Board and learned more than any of the may dermatologists. I tried products and tested. I learned to give products time to show good or bad reactions. I even ended up finding that foaming cleansers are not the be all and end all. However, the retinoids I now use (Retin-A Micro .01, Renova .05, and Retin-A Gel) are used on a maintenance plan after years of experimentation. Last year, I was mixing my own concoction of vaseline or triple antibiotic ointment, safflower oil, mineral oil and SkinCeuticals Hydrating B5 (HA) serum. Saving money, making my own small batches daily to keep my skin from flakes, irritation, redness, and breakouts as I tried to find the RIGHT combo of retinoids and compensating moisture for me. Then, thanks to BarbiH, I found that my concoctions were quite similar to the Sage products. I'd been consulting the Sage (zerozits.com- Become an Acne Detective) website forever trying to narrow down the products that my troubled (cystic acne at worst), mildly roseacea-prone could handle. Let us not get into sunscreen. Love MUA for finally finding a sunscreen that I could use without instant whiteheads (Sofina Lucent). Thank you, Mua Skincare Bofard for finding Fancl Mild Cleansing Oil to remove my sunscreen and foundation/powder/eye mu as a pre-cleanse before my MD Forte Glycolic Cleanser. Thank me for forgetting washcloths, which were too rough and using my gauze fabric to lightly exfoliate. But BACK to SAGE OLD LADY CREAM. I began to buffer my retinoids with the Sage Hydrating Emulsion with excellent effect. However, the second day after my Retin-A Micro application, I would experience a major flake period. Any manual exfoliation would make my skin irritated--especially during the Northeast winters. My only recourse was to use Vaseline, or, better, a light layer of triple antibiotic ointment until the skin turnover was gone (usually 2-3 days). It was always this morning mix to keep things fresh. So, then I decided to ask for a sample of the Sage Old Lady Cream to seal in the layer of Sage Hydrating Emulsion after my am cleansing. Wonder of all wonder. No irriatation. Maybe a dab of triple antibiotic ointment around my nose and mouth because I am particularly sensitive there. But hey. The Sage Old Lady Cream was what I was mixing up myself but make the "I've got to get to work on time and don't want to mess with my crappy skin" blues. Sure, if I don't have to hurry, I'll do my home-made remedy of mineral oil, petroleum/triple antibiotic ointment, safflower oil and HA serum. But I have to get up and go in the morning. I can't deal with yucky flaking skin. With the combo of MD Forte III cleanser removed by lightly swiping a gauze cloth in the am followed by the Sage Hydrating Emulsion, my skin is soothed and soft. A TINY dab of Old Lady Cream on my sensitive spots and eye area. If there is any redness, I dab on a bit of triple antibiotic ointment--this is most often my nose area as I have allergies and the constant wiping of my nose makes it sore. On the advice of a pharmacist friend, I always keep a tube of the triple antibiotic ointment in my purrse for the nose area. I will say that the Old Lady Cream certainly does seal in moisure without breakouts/clogs---as long as I am using my Retin-A. My makeup (Make Up For Ever Face & Body or High Def) applies like a dream. I use a Japanese brand of Shiseido Powder--Majolica Majorca Pressed Fantasia 24 Hour to tone down shine when necessary. I also loved the Besame loose powder but have run out and no replacements as of yet. Neither cause breakouts. So, I highly recommend the Sage Old Lady Cream for flakes and irritation--it really serves to calm the skin without breakouts. The formula is clean--no fragrance/irritants. Use sparingly--a little goes a long way, which justifies the price. This review is from one who tried so hard to do the Dr. Hauschka and other "NATURAL" cleansers. The essential oils only made my skin reactive. The Fancl MCO and Sage Products are fragrance free and just seem to work for me along with my retinoid routine. Look, my friend asked what I was using because, as she said, "your skin looks so great." Jeeze. I'm almost 50. I told her to dump the Murad and try something else. Live and learn. I highly recommend the Sage Old Lady Cream when peeling or feeling irritation from acne/breakout preventing products. I think it would be best for winter to buffer (apply before) acne/anti-age treatments, but it is still going to be my go-to if I feel I've exfoliated aggressively or need to heal. Highly recommend the Sage Hydrating Emulsion and asking for a sample of the Old Lady Cream for summer. I will most certainly order a full size Old Lady Cream for next winter, unless, yo, I ;move to San Francisco, which I am so wanting to do. Whatever. All I can say is that the Sage Advice products (in additon to Fancl Mild Cleansing Oil and Sofina sunscreens) are wonderful and, because I always test products for sensitivity or breakouts, the most non-comedogenic products I've used. Sure, they are pricey, but they last. Bottom Line: I am going to be 50 next month and between my skincare products and makeup, my skin does not show my age--and I've had adult acne/never a dull moment with my skin in terms of being "normal." My issue, friends: the lazy nights when I don't stick to the "

About reviewer (86 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinCombination, Fair

HairBlond

EyesBlue

2.0

12 years ago

Mediocre at best; comes ina very cheap plastic container with a label that fades fast.

About reviewer (55 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinVery Dry, Fair-Medium

12 years ago

(I'm DSNW and terribly sensitive due to rosacea.) This moisturizer has absolutely saved my skin this winter! By looking at the ingredients you expect to be similar to Aquaphor but instead it has a light whipped texture that sinks right in unlike most other moisturizers. I use it morning allover my face/eye area and at night OVER my Metrogel. It's quite pricey considering the ingredients but it's a great product that does what it says. I wish it came in a squeeze tube instead of a jar though. Thanks again to BarbiH for sending a sample to me, she saved my skin.

About reviewer (231 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinSensitive, Fair

HairBlond

13 years ago

I have never used anything close to a moisturizer before on my sensitive, combo.,acne-prone skin for the simple fact that everything out there clogged my pores and broke me out - even stuff that was labeled non-acnegenic or non-comedogenic. I have been using the entire Sage line for a few years now and my skin has never looked better. Just this year, I got enough courage to use Old Lady Cream because my face is getting a little drier and flaky (esp. during the Winter)as I get older. I'm so glad I tried it - now I use Old Lady Cream daily with absolutely no adverse effects - no acne, no clogged pores ever! Although I sometimes get bored and want to try other skincare, I really have used everything out there and wasted alot of money (esp. at Nordstrom and Sephora)on products that just don't work. Now that I have this totally radiant and acne-free skin (which I can only attribute to Sage because I break out when I am not using their products), I will never, ever switch skincare lines. Sage is truly my HG skincare line.

About reviewer (56 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBrunette

13 years ago

I actually inherited a jar of this from my mom and I really like it (also why I didn't put anything for the price, because I don't know!). Now that it's getting cooler it helps me with my dry skin patches that I seem to get on my face after exfoliating. I do not use this in the summer - it's just too much. There's no fragrance, just nice thick moisture. Doesn't feel too heavy after putting it on and works well under makeup. On the days when I give my poor skin a break from makeup, I use this after my cleansing and toning.

About reviewer (26 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone

14 years ago

I think this is a great moisturizer. It's thick, and it's great to use in the winter, as a sealant while your skin is still damp (to hold in the moisture). It's also great after you've been outside in the cold, windy air. If you're looking for a light, sheer moisturizer, this is not for you. But, if you really have dry, flaky skin, this is great. I took off one lippie b/c it's a little pricy, in my opinion.

About reviewer (49 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair

1.0

15 years ago

Acne-prone skins - beware. This stuff contains mineral oil, and feels like a layer of sealant wax on your skin. How can your pores breathe?? I found it to be very clogging - yuck. Not to mention the absolutely outrageous price - $40 bucks for 2 oz. of - what?? Mineral oil? Save your money.

About reviewer (14 reviews)

SkinOther