Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light

4.3

Mica, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Boron Nitride, Hdi/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Octyldodecanol, Silica, Benzimidazole Diamond Amidoethyl Urea Carbamoyl Propyl Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Sorbic Acid, Polyacrylamide, Benzoic Acid, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Potassium Sorbate, Dehydroacetic Acid, Laureth-7, Ethylhexylglycerin, Trimethylsiloxysilicate. May Contain: Ci 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Ci 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride),Ci 77491 (Iron Oxide),Ci 77492 (Iron Oxide), Ci 77499 (Iron Oxide),Ci 75470 (Carmine).

I originally got Dim Light in the Ambient Lighting Palette & at first was skeptical it would be too dark as a setting powder for my very fair skin. I took a swirl on a powder brush & dusted it lightly over my entire face after applying my usual makeup. All I can say is this powder is incredible! A definite favourite & I'm still using it years later. It gives the skin an almost airbrushed look, blurring pores & can also be used as a bronzer if applied a little heavier on the cheeks for fair skin. Also very nice as an eyeshadow- definitely is a multi use product which I love. If you're on the fence about this, don't be, it's a great item to add to your collection & lasts such a long time.

MY VERY FAVORITE FINISHING POWDER! I usually do not need to use a highlighter or luminizing primer when I use the Ambient Line (I own several of the other shades, but 'Dim Light' is most suitable for coloring and has the best texture for an all-over light coverage finishing powder.)

I have tried many finishing powders and powder foundations in matte, luminous, and other finishes, to find that most of the mid-to-high end lines have at least one acceptable to amazing powders in their line up. So, why do I always come back to this product? Read on!

Pros:

* Provides a subtly, yet noticeably healthy, luminous finish to my skin when it is tired or dry (especially when paired up with By Terry Densities Foundation, both my HGs and very complimentary in textures)
* Hard to explain, but the coverage is very smoothing, blurry, and Photoshop or IG filter-like. Other reviewers state the same thing, and I'm not sure how else to describe it.
* Does not contain talc! (Hooray! Most finishing powders do to some extent or another, and the ones that do not contain talc, do a poor job of controlling natural sebum from peaking through, resulting in an oily-looking face, and not the lit, luminous look I'm looking for for more than an hour or two tops)

Cons:

* Not exactly cheap (at $45 at Sephora or Net-a-Porter), but does last for quite a long time. I've only purchased once, and it is still going strong as two years of near daily use. You don't need to cake it on to get a lovely, halo-effect on the skin. A light swipe or two over the whole face will do you just fine. It is worth it to me!
* The Ambient (original) lineup should add additional shades that are more flattering for yellow-toned skins. I admit, this shade of powder probably looks best on
* Some of the other shades in the Ambient line (3 of 6), look a bit shimmery (like actually visible, although pretty mica sparkles) and more suitable for use as an actual, minimal-esque highlighter, rather than finishing powder. (Not really a huge complaint, just be careful!)

Additional: If you try and end up loving 'Dim Light like I do, I suggest trying 'Radiant Light' either on its own, or in the Hourglass Ambient Palette! It is a wonderful, natural-esque,flattering bronzer! Also,I am currently testing out their newer Ambient blushes, bronzer, and strobing highlighter lines, and love them too!

To Read all 94 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I got the sample size of this and I really like it.
I think if I got the larger one it would go off before I finnished it.
Its nice doesn't make my skin look cakey and is finely milled.
I'm just a bit paranoid that it makes my skin too dark due to other peoples reviews (nothing to do with the actual product as I can't see a problem)
However for this reason I wish other colours came in a mini

If you have dry skin you will love this powder! Myself being one of those people, I found it hard to find a powder that would set my makeup without making my skin look cakey, dry or dull. This powder has a slight sheen to it so that in certain lighting, your skin has that extra added natural glow. I have seen quite a few products with the same concept as this one but none give the same result. It adds life and dimension to my face before adding things like bronzer and highlighter. A few downsides include the price and the packaging. It is very expensive which is a pain as its so good and I end up using it every day! The packaging also gets very messy very easily but is still vey sturdy and pretty when new. Would not recommend for those with oily skin to use this as an all-over setting powder.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Other, Curly, Fine

Bit too dark for me but will be perfect for the summer. Very expensive and not as luminizing as I was expecting. Just a nice powder, very fine milled and lovely to apply.But alas, miracle did not happened.

I'm so on the fence with this one.... on one hand I have looked in the mirror when wearing it and thought "Oh wow my skin looks amazing" (in artificial light) but most of time I'm thinking "Hmmmn I don't think this quite works for me?!" (natural daylight).

The powder itself is a hyper finely-milled soft baked powder that produces a satin type sheen on the skin. No complaints about quality, it feels expensive. On me it does deposit a colour, it wouldn't be quite enough to pass as a bronzer but it's there. I think actually the colour of it might be the problem. Sometimes I just think it's weird looking, as though it jars with the natural tones of my skin.
It lacks the strength of a standalone bronzer/highlight but doesn't compliment my pale yellow skin well enough as an all-over powder.

I really badly wanted this to be a wonder product; the subtlety and idea of it is lovely but on account of the high cost and the very mixed feelings I have, it has to rank as a disappointment.

Worth mentioning that because it's a skin finish- online pictures aren't really very illustrative. It's one you need to try on in store to assess.

I don't... get it? This is one of those super-hyped products I've always wanted to try, so when I saw the cheaper travel size at Sephora, I picked it up on a whim. I read about people putting it all over as setting powder, so that's exactly what I did. Guys, this is bronzer. This is straight up bronzer. I looked weirdly tan-orange all day and couldn't wait to wash it off. And I'm not even THAT fair. I'm light-medium.

I've been using it as a bronzer/very light contour, and it works fine for that purpose, but nothing that's making me fall to my knees and PRAISE like everyone else is. It's a perfectly serviceable light winter bronzer. The "glow" effect is vastly overstated.

Solid "meh". Will use up the travel size, will not repurchase. I did give the packaging five stars because I actually love the simple yet lovely shiny chocolate-brown compact. And I like that the product is recessed into the compact, so you can really swirl your brush around without getting fallout everywhere.

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

I got this in a palette and tried it all over, after reading all the rave reviews... but its way too dark/orangey toned... it showed up patchy all over my chin. However I have found a use for it - its lovely as a bronzer... as long as I use a very light feathery brush!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

HG powder for me. I have sensitive dry skin and this or Diffused I use every single day as a setting powder. I have eczema and oilyish t zone. I love this over any base. It gives a soft look about my skin that looks so perfect. I have tried a bunch of powders and keep returning to this because it make my skin look so good. If you are younger you may not see what the hype is about but if you are older with dry sensitive skin you will see the biggest difference compare to other setting powders, I love this so much.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is one of those products that just perfects your face...at least it causes the illusion that your skin is perfect! It blurs and gives a beautiful soft focus finish. In short, it's magic for me. Now I don't really have that many skin issues, but my skin isn't perfect either. I do have small bumps and discoloration. I do my full face, including a skin tone face powder, and then I go over my t-zone, under the eyes, nose, and chin with Dim to give the final touch. You definitely can use this shade to set your makeup if you're pressed for time, but this is more like that luxurious item I reach for when I'm going all out anyway. I don't think anyone would notice the effect of this, but you will when you look in the mirror lol. That's what I care about personally :) It's a neutral beige color that doesn't really show up unless you're very light or dark. Deeper skin tones can probably use it as a very subtle highlight, but it's the more "universal" shade they have. I'm a medium tan and it doesn't really show any color on me; it just does the blurring that I like. I rated packaging rather low, because it's actually a kind of cheap plastic. And if you're taking it with you a lot as I have, the gold letters eventually wear off :/