Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light

4.3

Mica, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Boron Nitride, Hdi/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Octyldodecanol, Silica, Benzimidazole Diamond Amidoethyl Urea Carbamoyl Propyl Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Sorbic Acid, Polyacrylamide, Benzoic Acid, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Potassium Sorbate, Dehydroacetic Acid, Laureth-7, Ethylhexylglycerin, Trimethylsiloxysilicate. May Contain: Ci 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Ci 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride),Ci 77491 (Iron Oxide),Ci 77492 (Iron Oxide), Ci 77499 (Iron Oxide),Ci 75470 (Carmine).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Where has this been all my life?? I didn't buy into the Hourglass Ambient Lighting powders for the longest time. Seemed kind of gimmicky to me and like they really wouldn't do much. I was so very wrong. I decided on a whim to pick up Dim Light on a recent Sephora outing. I figured if I really didn't like it I would return it, no harm no foul. That was 2 months ago and I can now say this powder will be in my vanity for ever and ever. It's very finely milled, smooth, silky and just a touch dusty in the compact. But on my face it's magic. I use it as an all over finishing powder, just a light dusting. And my face just looks better. Everything kind of smooths out, my pores and fine lines aren't as noticeable. It has a slightly luminous finish but no actual glitter that I can detect. The effect is subtle for sure, so if you're expecting miracles you won't be impressed. But if you want a bit of smoothness, a bit of glow, and a touch of blurring of lines and pores this is for you. Also, this shade just about matches my skin tone so that might be another reason it works so well for me. My mom actually commented on my skin just the other day, she said it looked very smooth and glowy. And I don't have great skin so I don't hear those kinds of comments often. This powder is a winner in my book.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine

I cannot live without this. I'm old and wrinkled as god and this powder makes my skin look ten years younger.
I wear it as a finishing powder - sweep it on, and then let it sit while I do my eyes and brows. I dust it under my eyes and across my temples and tzone. Then I dust off any excess with a huge brush and my skin looks like I'm in my 30's again.
If you are a woman like me, of a certain age - this is a godsend. It somehow blurs fine lines and gives you a lovely firm look to your skin. You can go overboard with it though and look very shiny but I had to really pack it on in order to look like a disco ball.
I'm also impressed by how long it seems to be lasting me. Using everyday generously, I've barely made a dent so I guess the high price is actually cost effective.

To Read all 99 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this in the travel size as I very rarely use the same product to pan. Its a very nice finishing powder that blurs out some imperfections and smoothes out the skin. It's a very nice product.

I was put off by the price so got a tester off ebay. Damn. I love it!

I'm 45 years old & although my skin's in pretty good condition with few wrinkles. Lets be honest , its not what it was.
This stuff makes me look like I've been on holiday to a spa resort. With no kids. 10 hours sleep a night. 8 years ago!

My pores look refined & my skin looks even toned. Just what I was looking for..

I couldn't justify paying full price for this, so picked up a travel-sized version the last time I was in Sephora. And boy, am I glad I did!

I must be the only person on the planet who just doesn't get the hype surrounding this product. I've tried using it in a variety of different ways - as an all-over face powder, as a highlighter for cheeks and/or brow bone, to highlight 'key' parts of my face like cheek bones and bridge of nose - and every single time have come away thinking the same thing. I just don't get it.

This literally does nothing for my skin. It doesn't give it any discernable glow, it doesn't really show up as a highlighter and if I use it all over my face, it just gives me a weird colouring that actually looks like jaundice!

Maybe I'm not using it correctly? Maybe it's my skin type? Maybe it's like a lot of these products which seem to get hyped up on YouTube - the people reviewing it are paid to say great things in order to shift units? Whatever it is, it's definitely a case of the 'Emperor's New Clothes' for me - everyone around me is saying how beautiful it is, but I just can't see what they're seeing.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Use this as my regular face powder. Worth every penny. a little goes a long way.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I don't really use powders much these days as I get older because I find they can accentuate any dryness and make fine lines look worse, however when I need to use one I now actually use this as a face power not as a highlighter. It's glowy without being shimmery or sparkly. It adds a very nice sheen to your skin instead of the dead flat matte look. I am NW20-NW25 an find the colour perfect for a light sweeping across the face. I also use it if I have gone overboard with a shimmery highlight to tone it down a bit and make it look a bit more natural.

I originally got Dim Light in the Ambient Lighting Palette & at first was skeptical it would be too dark as a setting powder for my very fair skin. I took a swirl on a powder brush & dusted it lightly over my entire face after applying my usual makeup. All I can say is this powder is incredible! A definite favourite & I'm still using it years later. It gives the skin an almost airbrushed look, blurring pores & can also be used as a bronzer if applied a little heavier on the cheeks for fair skin. Also very nice as an eyeshadow- definitely is a multi use product which I love. If you're on the fence about this, don't be, it's a great item to add to your collection & lasts such a long time.

MY VERY FAVORITE FINISHING POWDER! I usually do not need to use a highlighter or luminizing primer when I use the Ambient Line (I own several of the other shades, but 'Dim Light' is most suitable for coloring and has the best texture for an all-over light coverage finishing powder.)

I have tried many finishing powders and powder foundations in matte, luminous, and other finishes, to find that most of the mid-to-high end lines have at least one acceptable to amazing powders in their line up. So, why do I always come back to this product? Read on!

Pros:

* Provides a subtly, yet noticeably healthy, luminous finish to my skin when it is tired or dry (especially when paired up with By Terry Densities Foundation, both my HGs and very complimentary in textures)
* Hard to explain, but the coverage is very smoothing, blurry, and Photoshop or IG filter-like. Other reviewers state the same thing, and I'm not sure how else to describe it.
* Does not contain talc! (Hooray! Most finishing powders do to some extent or another, and the ones that do not contain talc, do a poor job of controlling natural sebum from peaking through, resulting in an oily-looking face, and not the lit, luminous look I'm looking for for more than an hour or two tops)

Cons:

* Not exactly cheap (at $45 at Sephora or Net-a-Porter), but does last for quite a long time. I've only purchased once, and it is still going strong as two years of near daily use. You don't need to cake it on to get a lovely, halo-effect on the skin. A light swipe or two over the whole face will do you just fine. It is worth it to me!
* The Ambient (original) lineup should add additional shades that are more flattering for yellow-toned skins. I admit, this shade of powder probably looks best on
* Some of the other shades in the Ambient line (3 of 6), look a bit shimmery (like actually visible, although pretty mica sparkles) and more suitable for use as an actual, minimal-esque highlighter, rather than finishing powder. (Not really a huge complaint, just be careful!)

Additional: If you try and end up loving 'Dim Light like I do, I suggest trying 'Radiant Light' either on its own, or in the Hourglass Ambient Palette! It is a wonderful, natural-esque,flattering bronzer! Also,I am currently testing out their newer Ambient blushes, bronzer, and strobing highlighter lines, and love them too!

If you have dry skin you will love this powder! Myself being one of those people, I found it hard to find a powder that would set my makeup without making my skin look cakey, dry or dull. This powder has a slight sheen to it so that in certain lighting, your skin has that extra added natural glow. I have seen quite a few products with the same concept as this one but none give the same result. It adds life and dimension to my face before adding things like bronzer and highlighter. A few downsides include the price and the packaging. It is very expensive which is a pain as its so good and I end up using it every day! The packaging also gets very messy very easily but is still vey sturdy and pretty when new. Would not recommend for those with oily skin to use this as an all-over setting powder.