Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light

4.2

Mica, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Boron Nitride, Hdi/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Octyldodecanol, Silica, Benzimidazole Diamond Amidoethyl Urea Carbamoyl Propyl Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Sorbic Acid, Polyacrylamide, Benzoic Acid, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Potassium Sorbate, Dehydroacetic Acid, Laureth-7, Ethylhexylglycerin, Trimethylsiloxysilicate. May Contain: Ci 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Ci 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride),Ci 77491 (Iron Oxide),Ci 77492 (Iron Oxide), Ci 77499 (Iron Oxide),Ci 75470 (Carmine).

I so wanted to love this product, but sadly, it did not work for me. I used it as a finishing powder, as suggested by the SA and many MUAers. On the positive side, this is probably the most luxurious-feeling powder I have ever used. There is no denying the quality - it feels almost creamy. I used the Sonia Kashuk 01 Large Powder Brush (amazing brush, btw) to apply over my foundation and the whole experience just felt decadent. The color as a finishing powder for my NC25-30 skin worked well. There was no visible sheen, and upon immediate application the effect was, as others have commented, blurring and smoothing. It did not at all accentuate my pores or fine lines. The compact itself felt substantial and sturdy. Although pricey, there was plenty of product in the compact and I never felt like I would run out of this anytime soon.

Unfortunately, it was downhill from there.

Not even halfway (more like quarter way) through my day, my (normal/combination) skin felt like an oil slick. My makeup was halfway down my face. Even in the dead of winter, when the cold air and dry heat normally skew my complexion towards the normal/dry side, my matte blush and foundation did not stay put. Whatever makes this product feel so creamy and luxe will definitely add moisture to your face! So, while this powder is indeed very high quality, I can't imagine that anyone other than those with extremely dry skin will be happy with the results.

Another thing I noticed was that this powder, in spite of it's sheer, almost imperceptible application, felt rather heavy on my face as the day wore on. When I took my makeup off at night, I found I needed to use extra makeup remover wipes (Neutrogena) in addition to my usual cleansing routine. When I looked at the wipes, there was a TON of powder on it!! I know this was the powder and not my foundation because the same amount would come off whether or not I used foundation ( I sometimes just use powder). So I've deduced that this powder is deceptively pigmented.

In an attempt to re-purpose this product, I plan to try it as an eyes shadow base, using a tenacious (UDPP) e/s primer to hopefully combat the moisture issue, as I have oily eyelids (even in the driest weather). If that doesn't work out, I will give it to my mother who has very dry skin.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Oh, I so wanted to love this powder. I love the idea of dusting a powder on my face and having everything kind of blur. Unfortunately, this did nothing for me. It is beautiful and I loved the packaging and it took me awhile to finally pass it along to my niece who wanted it so bad. Maybe I'm too fair? Not sure. But this didn't work and it sadly turned me off from all other Hourglass blurring products.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I have a long and complicated history w this product lol. At first I was using it like one would a highlight which is what I originally purchased it for- I should've gotten a lighter colour because (after too much time using it this way) I noticed that there was a peach/pink streak where I would apply this. So then I used it as blush a little bit and that was okay, but it ended up just sitting in my drawer.

After a while I wanted to retry this crazily expensive product that was just sitting in the back of my drawer I tried using it as a very light bronzer, kinda just to add a very natural, barely-there warmth and sheen to my face and I loved it!!!!! I have oily skin and I liked using this around the perimeter of my face (as well as a tiny bit under my cheekbones) to add a very tiny sheen and a bit of colour while the rest of my face was matte.

Unfortunately though I eventually realized that this product was breaking me out (which is extra odd cause I don't see anyone else saying this broke them out?). I ended up giving it to my mum who loves it. Really a shame as once I finally figured out how I liked using this product I fell in love with it. Sadly my skin just doesn't agree.

I debated with my self forever about buying this due to the price point . But oh my I am so glad I did. My 57 year old skin needed some sort of a boost. I use this as my finishing powder and it is beautiful. It does not settle into any texture on my face. It gives my skin a glow, not shiny not like a disco ball. Just a beautiful finish. The 1 st day I wore it my husband said you look great today and have had several compliments on my skin. I will definitely buy again and again

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I finally gave into buying this in December, and I was so excited to use it because it swatched so nicely! But I have to say, I would take it or leave it at this point, I dont get the hype. I use it as an all-over powder to set my Guerlain foundation, and it makes it look oxidized, and Im not even that fair. It does initially blur my pores and gives my skin a nice glow, but it does absolutely nothing to control oil. It looks okay the first few hours after application, but then my oil comes through like nothing, and the shimmer in the product makes me look even greasier. The effect it gives the skin does not last very long, probably due to my skin type. For the price especially, I won't be buying again. It may work much better on dry or normal skin.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I bought this for my birthday makeup haul from Sephora and I almost bought the smaller size because I wasn't sure if I would like it. I am so glad I decided to get the full size! This powder gives a beautiful finish to my skin and seems to make my pores disappear. I love it and it's definitely my HG powder!

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

This gives a nice finish to your foundation as another reviewer said, and it is forgiving on dry skin and even dry patches to a degree. Notice I said to a degree. Its arguably the best powder for dry skin, however using a lot of this on dry skin isn't the best idea, it doesn't look awful but it gives the same effect as using translucent powder on very dry skin on top of foundation then, with that "dry" look.
Aside from that though, the finish is very nice, I apply with my fingers actually because brushes aren't the best idea for all the dry patches on my skin and it somewhat blurs skin but I have indented acne scarring and it doesn't really blur that. So blurring properties are decent I guess.
I really like this though because it gives a slight luminosity as well as a somewhat matte yet velvet finish, leaning more towards velvet (matte only because this thing is a powder). Makes any foundation look better.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a good finishing powder. It's incredibly subtle, would never show up on me as a highlighter, which I've heard some people can do. But it definitely does a good job of finishing up my look. I got the sample size for $22 at Sephora. Wouldn't spend the money for the full size, so I'm glad I was able to get the small one.

Bought this after it was recommended by the Mecca girl. On my third pan.
I have very pale skin and in winter, very gentle sweep gives a nice healthy look. In summer, its dark enough for me to use in place of bronzer.
I love this product although I notice that it sometimes makes my pores look larger/fine lines more noticeable so be cautious if you base isnt perfectly smooth...which mine never is

LOVE it! I've used so many powders and this is just the best i have ever come across. To start with, i use copious amounts of this and it never seems to run out (so far). Secondly, it just adds such a nice finish to your foundation. It is not a heavy powder, so you'll never look cakey with this one like you can with others. It just goes on so smoothly and subtly. Another bonus is that it sets the foundation at the same time as evens out your foundation. It also gives it a more natural look. I would highly recommend anyone to try this!