Chanel 1932

Chanel 1932

4.5

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

My review is for the 2016 eau de parfum version, which I believe is warmer and fruitier than the eau de toilette was.

It's been a long time since I've found a fragrance to be as moreish as this one. I went through my sample in record time, applying over and over to experience again the fruity pear, the Chanel-esque grapefruit (I love Jacques Polge's treatment of citrus in general) and the soft blend of clean iris and jasmine. Sometimes rooty and fecal respectively in other perfumes, here the florals are simply soft and warm. I love that I catch a giggle of Allure in this, plus the gentle ghost of - because of the particular treatment of the iris - Guerlain's Shalimar Parfum Initial (now sadly discontinued), but even so, it stands up on its own as a subtle, enveloping, poetic and delicious scent.
It's true that it doesn't last, but applying this is an enjoyable experience. There is barely any throw, but that's okay: some fragrances you really do wear for yourself.

on 3/11/2013 8:26:00 PM

I read that this was a cross between 31 RC and another CHANEL exclusif, but I disagree. I've got 31 RC, and it's much richer and more forthright than 1932. 1932 is old school perfumerie. No skank, no "precious" or any other kind of wood (yes, I know there are descriptions showing a woodiness, but not to my nose). I get a not too sweet, soft, absolutely elegant floral. On first spray, you do get a lot of notes that smell like every second perfume out there, but within a few minutes the heart shows, and it's gorgeous. This fragrance is like a soft Sisley or some really retro frag from even before the 50's and 60's when things started to get bolder. 1932 is classic, wearable day or evening and even at work. (scent free environment, my big, white you-know-what...). Thanks to CHANEL boutique in Toronto for the sample - I will definitely purchase a bottle.

BTW, 1932 doesn't bowl you over or punch you in the nose. When you wear it, the only people who will know are the people you want to be close enough to notice...

***EDIT*** okay, it's tomorrow and NOW I get it about 31RC and EDC, plus a little of the Prada Iris drydown, in fact that prada slight woody/tinny drydown is a disappointment. I'll still buy it, but I don't think this frag is the big one for me. Good, in fact very good, but not the ultimate frag.

...and EDIT again...dropped to 4 lippies. I sprayed 31RC with a small blast of Herme Eau Orange just to see what would happen, and got something gorgeous. I think even better than 1932. so maybe no purchase, because I've already got the 31RC, which is really hard to beat.

Popular Fragrances