Lime Crime Retrofuturist

2.0

1 review

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Reposting my initial review as there is now a Retrofuturist category. I tried to use it again before re-posting and I still feel the same way about it. I've also done more research on this company and they continue to do things to earn their bad reputation. The information is out there and I'd recommend everyone interested in this company take a look before purchasing. If you want bold and vegan lip colors, I'd recommend OCC lip tars.

Sigh, I should have listened to the warnings about this product.
I've been aware of the drama and controversy about this product, but when they had their Cyber Monday sale I said what the heck and bought a lipstick in Retrofuturist, having heard that this shade was less problematic than the others. If this is what the less problematic shades are like, I don't know how other people use the the more difficult shades.

Pros:
- Shipping was quick, but apparently if you're an international customer you may have your orders filled last during sales. My order was processed in a day and I received my package in two days after shipping.
- The packaging is nice and unique. The tube is really solid and the design is really nicely done, the holographic unicorn on the tube is heat stamped on. May not be everyone's favorite, but I think it's well executed.
- Pigmentation is unlike any other product I've used, very very intense.

Cons:
- Texture is difficult to work with, even though this is one of the best shades in that aspect apparently. I found even with exfoliation of my lips and delicate application that the texture was really drying and patchy. Even swatched on my hand it applied unevenly.
- The product is really delicate. The formula/way the bullet is set into the tube means any small move and the lipstick is going to snap off. Not something you'd expect at $16 a tube.
- These stain like crazy. If you wanted to ruin something permanently, getting Lime Crime lipsticks on them may do it. Even an initial swatch which was on my hand for no more than 5 seconds stained it. I'm really wary of any of this getting near my clothes.
- It smells odd. Apparently these are supposed to smell like vanilla. Mine doesn't smell like vanilla, which would be pleasant. Instead, it smells really synthetic and kind of sweet, like off brand candy that went through the wash. I can't compare it to any other lipstick I've used the smell is so different and unpleasant.

I went into buying Retrofuturist having done my research, thinking I was buying one of the best lipstick shades Lime Crime has to offer. I'd compare my experience to opening a beautifully wrapped Christmas present only to find the toy inside breaks within the first minute of playing with it. The marketing and packaging here is brilliant, the product is not. If you want to try this brand, do your research, know about the drama, and look at swatches from bloggers who aren't also Lime Crime affiliates who make $$$ off of referring people to their products. I was lucky enough to buy this on sale at $12 and I feel like that was far too expensive for how it performed. I feel like this is sub-par drug store lipstick in hipster shades in fairy packaging, too much image and hype for something that's mediocre in the end.

Popular Lipsticks