Byredo Black Saffron

Byredo Black Saffron

3.7

Smells like berries, leather, and a type of contraband

on 6/24/2014 11:42:00 AM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

EDIT 7/1/14: I have to update this review because Black Saffron has really grown on me the last week or so. It's definitely sweet and fruity, with a little something dark and mysterious to prevent it from being too cloying. Very unique and I'm considering buying a bottle. I wish it were a little more long-lasting though.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
Ugh! I loved the opening notes - kinda fruity (citrus, berries and rose) but almost instantly some woodsy notes show up and it ruins it for me. I guess I should've known this wouldn't be the fragrance for me, since it's described as an oriental, which I usually don't like.

on 1/27/2013 10:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

UPDATE 10/2015: When I recently revisited Black Saffron I was surprised how much I liked it and after using a few more samples it has grown enough on me to buy a full bottle! For whatever reason, I did not pick up on the delicious jammy notes of this when I first tried it on. Although to my nose, this is first and foremost a fruity scent dominated by leather and soft wood, and not so much by its name giving saffron, I truly appreciate it for what it is and I have enjoyed wearing it in the cooler temperatures of early fall. Longevity of Black Saffron is outstanding on me, it lasts all day.

Let me start by mentioning that I am quite a fan of the Byredo line. The line has some very unique, interesting niche fragrances, relatively hard to find and complex in their composition. Not to forget their beautiful bottles - see uploaded stock picture - that are just a joy to look at and use. Furthermore, I would like to disclose that I really enjoy most anything "saffron" - it is simply a delectable note to my nose. So I had high expectations for Byredo's Black Saffron. This fragrance was introduced in 2012.
Notes: Grapefruit, juniper berry, raspberry, violet, rose, saffron, leathery notes.
Impression of the fragrance: I would describe Black Saffron as a spicy fragrance with a leathery background. It reminded me a bit of Tom Ford's White Suede. I can detect mostly rose and leather, but, sadly, not much saffron to speak of! Just a faint hint, almost hidden by the leather. In my quest for a saffron perfume I also tried L'Artisan's Safran Troublant which is nice but disappointingly fleeting on me, it lasts barely a few hours.
Price: $220 for 3.4 oz/100ml.

Popular Fragrances