Silk Naturals Mama's Helper Serum

Silk Naturals Mama's Helper Serum

2.9

Distilled water, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, Lactobacillus/Wasabia Japonica Root Ferment Extract , Hydrolyzed Cucurbita Pepo (Pumpkin) Seedcake Extract, Water (and) Glycerin (and) Glycrrhiza glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Water, Camellia sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Thermus Thermophilus Ferment (and) Glycerin, Propanediol, Phospholipids, Ubiquinone, Gluconoactone and Sodium Benzoate, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Panthenol

on 8/5/2017 5:09:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Below are my comparison reviews of the Silk Naturals magnesium ascorbyl phosphate (Vitamin C) serums. I am cross-posting this to each of the individual serum review areas:

Super Serum: Contains 3% MAP and niacinamide. Texture is a viscous fluid. Only a few drops are needed to cover the entire face and neck. The product is easily spread, which minimal pulling, although I found it better to rub hands together and pat on skin. Super Serum is fragrance-free but does have a strong niacinamide scent, which is borderline between B-vitamins and an ashtray. Ultimately I found it to be a bit too strong for my facial skin--I had signs of irritation within a couple of days of use. However, it has been great on hands when applied in the morning under sunscreen. The serum absorbs very quickly, and is a tad tacky. However, the tacky finish is quite good for layering under sunscreen, and does not create any issues of poor absorption for subsequent skin care layers. When used on face, it did not add any oilyness to my skin, and did not cause increased oil production throughout the day. If I could use this serum, I would, because it has everything I want in a Vitamin C product. Thankfully, there are other great Silk Naturals serums to choose from!

Mama's Helper: Contains 5.5% MAP. Texture is somewhat like natural aloe vera gel found in the health food store. This product needs to be spread on face very quickly because it absorbs and dries fast. The hand-rubbing and patting method did not work well. I had an immediate skin-tightening sensation when using this serum. It was uncomfortably tight, and the tightness was not relieved by putting moisturizing sunscreen over it. In fact, Mama's helper was not great for layering, and sometimes would pill, lift or flake when worn under sunscreen. On the plus side, its high MAP is great for fading sun spots and my skin was not irritated by this formula. I would consider this serum for its high MAP concentration, if I could get it to layer with my other skincare products.

Awesome Sauce: Contains 3% MAP. Has a gel texture similar to Mama's Helper. Although it has some oil in it, I found it equally skin-tightening as Mama's Helper, but with a bit less issue of dryness and product pilling / flaking. It has a strange, but natural, scent that smelled a bit like fermenting melon. It did not make me more oily or increase oil production through the day, even with my combination normal to oily skin. Even though Awesome Sauce is similar in texture to Mama's Helper, I didn't enjoy using it as much due to the strange scent. I also find the claim for dry, aging skin to be a bit strange since it wasn't great at hydrating, and the skin-tightening effect was uncomfortable. If I had to pick between the two gel-texture serums, I would probably get Mama's Helper rather than Awesome Sauce.

Facelift: Contains 3% MAP. Has a viscous fluid texture similar to Super Serum, but is a much simpler formula. Worked well patting on skin, absorbed quickly and left slight tacky finish like Super Serum. I found it to be non-irritating, and if scent is any indication, Facelift has a good dollop of skin-beneficial peptides. It worked very well under other skin care products, did not make me more oily, but also did not dry out my skin or make it tight. I really liked Facelift, and although I wish I could use Super Serum, I found Facelift to be equally easy to use while still having a good percentage of MAP.

Vitamin C Peptide: Contains 3% MAP. Has a viscous fluid texture similar to Super Serum and Facelift, and is the simplest vitamin C serum formula available at Silk Naturals. Like Facelift, application and finish was similar, and this serum was completely non-irritating, even a bit soothing. Like Super Serum and Facelift, it was great layered under sunscreen. I feel a little bad that I don't have much more to say about Vitamin C Peptide, because it is a quite charming, non-pretentious product with an effective proportion of vitamin C and peptides. I think this is a great place to start for anybody who has very sensitive skin, since its formula omits many known irritants. And of course, sometimes simpler is just better!

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This serum would be so great if it wasn't sooo drying. After use my was face so dry and tight. I tried using a moisturizer on top but it still wasn't enough. My skin is dehydrated combo/oily in the summer months.

on 6/27/2013 1:42:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I'm a big fan of Silk Naturals and when I saw this had the highest percentage of vitamin C of any product they carry, I went ahead and ordered a full-size bottle. Unfortunately, I don't like this a whole lot, especially when compared to Awesome Sauce, my current fave. As a lot of people have mentioned, it's actually quite drying. I can sometimes go with only Awesome Sauce at night and not get dried out, but this doesn't allow for the same. In fact, I've put another serum over this to add a little moisture, and my skin still feels dry in the morning (although not as dry as if I hadn't put the extra serum on). This is specifically supposed to help with hyperpigmentation, hence the high concentration of vitamin C, so it might be effective for those who have it and need an extra high concentration of vitamin C. I totally don't, however, so I'm going to stick with my Awesome Sauce.

on 5/8/2013 10:44:00 PM

When I tried a sample of this, I always woke up with skin that was uneven-toned and splotchier. It didn't help my breakouts at all. It leaves a very sticky feel and does not work well with liquid or powder makeup. What a disappointment. :(

on 4/17/2013 7:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

The ingrediants looked good and it didnt clog me so this is the reason i am giving it a 3, however i cant get past the extreme tight feeling and flakiness.

Not for my skin type, but i can see this working for someone with oily skin

This is still an early review..been about a week but I did just order a full size of this! Here is what I wrote about my initial impressions on the SCB:
this stuff is DRYING and I have combo skin and don't usually have this problem but I definitely have tightness and flaking. However, I am willing to deal with this b/c with moisturizer I think it could be ok. Sometimes my skin needs time to adjust as well. (I do feel it has..no more flaking just tightness)

The main reason I am still hopeful is I have been searching for an AOX / vitamin C product that doesn't clog me and so far so good with this. Most things clog my skin very quickly and I have tried countless vit c. and MAP products and have always gotten cysts or clogs/ irritation breakouts. This is a little tacky when first applied but that goes away. Very little fragrance to this which I like. So we shall see..looking forward to hearing from others who are sampling this.

EDIT Moved on to Nufountain CelSignal which is much more hydrating and overall makes my skin happier. Mama's Helper would be better if it wasn't so drying!!

on 1/25/2013 4:23:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

This is the newest vitamin C (MAP) serum in SN's line up. It was originated for those who are TTC, pregnant or breast-feeding but is certainly not limited to those individuals. Anyone, including men, of course could use this serum. It's 5.5% MAP that also includes several other AOX's, like green tea extract and CoQ-10. The Wasabi extract is soothing and nicely anti-bacterial to fight off any breakouts. Plus, IME, MAP is much like its cousin SAP in fighting off acne all on its own. Please see above for the full ingredient listing. I will mention that it does contain a particular algae extract called Venuceane. I usually avoid ALL things related to algae but I know several MUA'ers who have test driven this serum and have experienced no breakouts. So I decided to chance it and so far, so good. My only complaint is that it does make my skin feel very tight after drydown.....not dry, just tight. So following up with a hydrator or moisturizer will probably be necessary for most people. I am currently test-driving a sample and will update at a later date.UPDATE (02/02/13): So it's been a week and my skin has acclimated to this though it's still tightening. A hydrator is imperative. At first, I tried Face Reality's Hydrating Emulsion and the combo. seemed to make my face red and hot and even tighter. However, after trying out some of SN's hydrating serums and having NO luck, I retried the FRHE and it worked beautifully. Not sure what happened at that first experience? Just glad I persisted in finding a way to make this work. My skin looks pretty fabulous ATM. 2ND UPDATE (02/13/13) So sadly, after 3 weeks, I finally have to admit that this isn't going to work for me. I thought I had solved the drying or tightening aspects but not so. I'm not going to downgrade since I still think it's a brilliant product. It just isn't going to work for my skintype (SD-prone) since I'm prone to TEWL (transepidermal water loss) issues.