Almay Smart Shade Mousse Makeup

Almay Smart Shade Mousse Makeup

Dimethicone, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Water, Isododecane, PEG/PPG-19/19 Dimethicone, Trisiloxane, C13-16 Isoparaffin, Adipic Acid/Neopentyl Glycol Crosspolymer, Boron Nitride, Dimethicone/Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, C10-13 Isoparaffin, Glycerin, Tocopherol, Sorbitol, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Camellia Sinensis Leaf (Green Tea) Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Centaurea Cyanus (Cornflower) Extract, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Gingko Biloba Extract, Aspalathus Linearis Leaf Extract, Polyisobutene, Acrylates/Ammonium Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Sodium Chloride, Methicone, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Silica Silylate, Propylene Carbonate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Silica, Alumina, Palmitoyl Hydroxypropyltrimonium Amylopectin/Glycerin Crosspolymer, Propylene Glycol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Ethylene Brassylate, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Potassium Sorbate +/- (CI 77019/Mica, CI 77891/Titanium Dioxide, CI 77491/CI 77492/CI 77499/Iron Oxides)

on 1/30/2018 1:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've had decent luck with Almay foundations in the past so when I left my makeup case at home on vacation I picked this up. It was a fail.

As a foundation this stuff is awful. As an emergency concealer it's pretty handy though.I have pale skin, so I got this in light, shade 100. I was sort of surprised when I opened it and the foundation inside was pretty much white. I was nervous but I figured it was supposed to do what it was advertised to do...meaning match my skin tone.

It completely fails to match anything. It's too opaque to do any such thing. I ended up 2 shades lighter than normal, no matter how much I blended. Don't be fooled by the color shown on the container.

Oh, and about the blending...this stuff is difficult to blend completely though it can be done. Brushes seem to work better than blenders. If you aren't careful you'll end up with patches that have lots of coverage and other spots that don't. The only way to get it truly even is to keep painting it on, and then it makes my skin look sort of unhealthy and washed out. A good primer would probably make a difference but I also purchased an almay primer and used it with that. It made my normally dry in winter combination skin feel sticky and look oily.

There are some pros, though. It does have great coverage once you get it on. For that reason I sometimes use it as a concealer if I run out of shape tape and cant get more right away. It isn't greasy feeling when used in small areas and blended out.

on 4/14/2016 7:21:00 PM

My go to everyday foundation. I have sensitive skin and so far I haven't experienced any irritation from it. I like wearing foundation that makes my face look natural but more even toned. I have light redness and some acne scarring on my face. This offers a light to medium coverage depending on how much you apply. I tried different methods of application but my favorite way to apply is simply using my fingertips. I just make sure my fingertips are thoroughly clean before dipping into the container. It goes onto the skin pearly white then changes color as you lightly work it into the skin. Make sure when using this, or any foundation really, that your skin is exfoliated and/or moisturized so that the product doesn't settle on dry/flakey patches of skin. During the summer months I do need to blot oily areas (chin, nose, forehead). Lasts a good 8 hrs on me unless I'm out and about in hot weather.

I use the light version during the winter/spring months. Then switch to the light/medium version during the summer months when my skin tans a bit. After working this product into the skin I top it off with It Cosmetics bye bye pores hd micro powder. I avoid putting the micro powder around eyes area though.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Saw this sitting underneath the other Smart Shade foundations and decided it was worth a try. I've never used any mousse products before, but I've liked the Smart Shade foundation I've tried previously. I tried it the next day and my skin looked perfect and airbrushed. I've gotten so many compliments on my skin since I started used this. I haven't seen any ads for it, but I hope it sticks around!

I love makeup, but this is going straight back. It's a weird white color that somehow seems heavy while at the same time not providing coverage. This is supposed to be medium coverage but I get the same coverage with a bb cream and it looks way better. I do like the bouncy feel and how creamy it feels going on. I don't think oily skin would like this. It is in scented.

on 12/31/2015 8:51:00 PM

BEST foundation I've ever used. Completely different than other foundations. I look flawless when wearing it. My only concern is whether they discontinue it, because I don't see it around too much. That would be heartbreaking. And the price is so low it's silly. Take a chance and try it. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!

on 7/8/2015 9:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have such sensitive (rosacea) skin, that is under control now, but this is the only foundation that hasn't given me any kind of reaction. I use it daily. I'm so happy that I found something that works for me.

on 7/8/2015 9:07:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I take back a previous review saying that Almay sucks lol. I've had trouble finding a foundation because I have light neutral skin and I end up with foundations with too much yellow. Even colored matched at Sephora was no good. The color recommended was way too yellow.
That Color IQ must have scored very low.

I bought this one because it was mousse and I have dry skin. It also said for sensitive skin on the container. It has no sunscreen, which is good because I need a foundation to take some ID pics.

It changed to my exact skin color!
I tested it on the driest most sensitive part of my face; were I have rosacea. I didn't get full coverage of the rosacea but with a little concealer it would have. I stayed home that day because another Almay foundation I tried had oxidized and I didn't want to go out with an orange face.

It didn't oxidize, my skin didn't have a bad reaction to it and it didn't get patchy on the dry area.

It's a small amount for the price but I don't plan on using it all the time. Worth it to find a color that matches.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I have Almay Smart Shade Mousse Makeup in medium/deep, which is their darkest shade… I happened to catch it lucky with this product because there is only one dark/black shade & I match it. This is makeup that covers all skin tones in four shades: light, light/medium, medium, & medium/deep. If you're really white or really black, you're not, in my opinion, going to be able to match this.

Anyway, I apply this with my fingers & blend it all over my face in small sections because it's consistency is thicker. I have to work carefully & fast since it sets quickly. It's supposed to turn from white to my perfect shade / skin tone, but it didn't turn color for me! It stayed whitish & left this gray haze. In fact, as I was typing this, I read other reviews from others who wore the darkest shade, & she said the same things—"the product ended up as a gray ashy finish on my skin" … "grayish light ashy sorta kinda brownish."

Smart Shade is easy to apply, but since it doesn't sit well on my face, I don't like it. I don't like the light coverage or how it looks on my skin. The color issues I have & the sheer/light coverage just aren't for me.

on 2/6/2015 10:08:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

I got this because it does not contain cyclopentasiloxane, which I suspect breaks me out based on the checkered history we share. Most liquid foundations do contain it, so I am always excited to find one that doesn't.

I am NW15-ish, acne prone and oily. I picked this up in Light. The color on the jar is indicative of nothing. The foundation is a pearly tone that Almay would have us believe magically morphs to blend perfectly with our coloring. Nice try Almay. What this is, is a foundation that hides it's true color from you until you've shelled out your 12 dollars for it. How this is a good thing? Your guess is as good as mine. Surprise!!!! Your foundation is dark. Thanks for your business.

If I sound like a bitter old hag, it's because I am.

So, though I've not worn it a full day due to the bad color match, I did experiment w/ it twice, and here's what I found:

It applies nicely w/ fingers, I think I preferred this to my brush. It was easy to work with and blendable.

It had a nice, velvety, but not quite matte, finish, and was comfortable on the skin, but I suspect over time it would not wear well on oily skin like mine. Maybe best for normal to dry skin.

Today's germ-conscious ladies WILL NOT like the jar. Use a spatula or wash your hands, crybabies. What are you doing, lending your foundation to your dirty friends? Are you a member of some vast foundation exchange program? It wouldn't kill cosmetics manufacturers to use tubes, though, to be fair, I don't know why this is still an issue in an age where we can hitch a satellite to a meteor, yet can't get our foundation into a plastic tube. Get your sh*t together, Almay.

on 11/22/2014 2:08:00 PM

This product is like magic. I was sceptical that it would actually match my skin tone but it does perfectly. It evens out my complexion and matches my skin tone so you can't even tell I'm wearing anything at all. I highly recommend this product.