Almay Smart Shade Mousse Makeup

Almay Smart Shade Mousse Makeup

3.5

Dimethicone, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Water, Isododecane, PEG/PPG-19/19 Dimethicone, Trisiloxane, C13-16 Isoparaffin, Adipic Acid/Neopentyl Glycol Crosspolymer, Boron Nitride, Dimethicone/Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, C10-13 Isoparaffin, Glycerin, Tocopherol, Sorbitol, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Camellia Sinensis Leaf (Green Tea) Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Centaurea Cyanus (Cornflower) Extract, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Gingko Biloba Extract, Aspalathus Linearis Leaf Extract, Polyisobutene, Acrylates/Ammonium Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Sodium Chloride, Methicone, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Silica Silylate, Propylene Carbonate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Silica, Alumina, Palmitoyl Hydroxypropyltrimonium Amylopectin/Glycerin Crosspolymer, Propylene Glycol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Ethylene Brassylate, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Potassium Sorbate +/- (CI 77019/Mica, CI 77891/Titanium Dioxide, CI 77491/CI 77492/CI 77499/Iron Oxides)

on 4/14/2016 7:21:00 PM

My go to everyday foundation. I have sensitive skin and so far I haven't experienced any irritation from it. I like wearing foundation that makes my face look natural but more even toned. I have light redness and some acne scarring on my face. This offers a light to medium coverage depending on how much you apply. I tried different methods of application but my favorite way to apply is simply using my fingertips. I just make sure my fingertips are thoroughly clean before dipping into the container. It goes onto the skin pearly white then changes color as you lightly work it into the skin. Make sure when using this, or any foundation really, that your skin is exfoliated and/or moisturized so that the product doesn't settle on dry/flakey patches of skin. During the summer months I do need to blot oily areas (chin, nose, forehead). Lasts a good 8 hrs on me unless I'm out and about in hot weather.

I use the light version during the winter/spring months. Then switch to the light/medium version during the summer months when my skin tans a bit. After working this product into the skin I top it off with It Cosmetics bye bye pores hd micro powder. I avoid putting the micro powder around eyes area though.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Saw this sitting underneath the other Smart Shade foundations and decided it was worth a try. I've never used any mousse products before, but I've liked the Smart Shade foundation I've tried previously. I tried it the next day and my skin looked perfect and airbrushed. I've gotten so many compliments on my skin since I started used this. I haven't seen any ads for it, but I hope it sticks around!

To Read all 40 Reviews, Login or Join

I love makeup, but this is going straight back. It's a weird white color that somehow seems heavy while at the same time not providing coverage. This is supposed to be medium coverage but I get the same coverage with a bb cream and it looks way better. I do like the bouncy feel and how creamy it feels going on. I don't think oily skin would like this. It is in scented.

on 12/31/2015 8:51:00 PM

BEST foundation I've ever used. Completely different than other foundations. I look flawless when wearing it. My only concern is whether they discontinue it, because I don't see it around too much. That would be heartbreaking. And the price is so low it's silly. Take a chance and try it. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!

on 7/8/2015 9:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have such sensitive (rosacea) skin, that is under control now, but this is the only foundation that hasn't given me any kind of reaction. I use it daily. I'm so happy that I found something that works for me.

on 7/8/2015 9:07:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I take back a previous review saying that Almay sucks lol. I've had trouble finding a foundation because I have light neutral skin and I end up with foundations with too much yellow. Even colored matched at Sephora was no good. The color recommended was way too yellow.
That Color IQ must have scored very low.

I bought this one because it was mousse and I have dry skin. It also said for sensitive skin on the container. It has no sunscreen, which is good because I need a foundation to take some ID pics.

It changed to my exact skin color!
I tested it on the driest most sensitive part of my face; were I have rosacea. I didn't get full coverage of the rosacea but with a little concealer it would have. I stayed home that day because another Almay foundation I tried had oxidized and I didn't want to go out with an orange face.

It didn't oxidize, my skin didn't have a bad reaction to it and it didn't get patchy on the dry area.

It's a small amount for the price but I don't plan on using it all the time. Worth it to find a color that matches.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I have Almay Smart Shade Mousse Makeup in medium/deep, which is their darkest shade… I happened to catch it lucky with this product because there is only one dark/black shade & I match it. This is makeup that covers all skin tones in four shades: light, light/medium, medium, & medium/deep. If you're really white or really black, you're not, in my opinion, going to be able to match this.

Anyway, I apply this with my fingers & blend it all over my face in small sections because it's consistency is thicker. I have to work carefully & fast since it sets quickly. It's supposed to turn from white to my perfect shade / skin tone, but it didn't turn color for me! It stayed whitish & left this gray haze. In fact, as I was typing this, I read other reviews from others who wore the darkest shade, & she said the same things—"the product ended up as a gray ashy finish on my skin" … "grayish light ashy sorta kinda brownish."

Smart Shade is easy to apply, but since it doesn't sit well on my face, I don't like it. I don't like the light coverage or how it looks on my skin. The color issues I have & the sheer/light coverage just aren't for me.

on 2/6/2015 10:08:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

I got this because it does not contain cyclopentasiloxane, which I suspect breaks me out based on the checkered history we share. Most liquid foundations do contain it, so I am always excited to find one that doesn't.

I am NW15-ish, acne prone and oily. I picked this up in Light. The color on the jar is indicative of nothing. The foundation is a pearly tone that Almay would have us believe magically morphs to blend perfectly with our coloring. Nice try Almay. What this is, is a foundation that hides it's true color from you until you've shelled out your 12 dollars for it. How this is a good thing? Your guess is as good as mine. Surprise!!!! Your foundation is dark. Thanks for your business.

If I sound like a bitter old hag, it's because I am.

So, though I've not worn it a full day due to the bad color match, I did experiment w/ it twice, and here's what I found:

It applies nicely w/ fingers, I think I preferred this to my brush. It was easy to work with and blendable.

It had a nice, velvety, but not quite matte, finish, and was comfortable on the skin, but I suspect over time it would not wear well on oily skin like mine. Maybe best for normal to dry skin.

Today's germ-conscious ladies WILL NOT like the jar. Use a spatula or wash your hands, crybabies. What are you doing, lending your foundation to your dirty friends? Are you a member of some vast foundation exchange program? It wouldn't kill cosmetics manufacturers to use tubes, though, to be fair, I don't know why this is still an issue in an age where we can hitch a satellite to a meteor, yet can't get our foundation into a plastic tube. Get your sh*t together, Almay.

on 11/22/2014 2:08:00 PM

This product is like magic. I was sceptical that it would actually match my skin tone but it does perfectly. It evens out my complexion and matches my skin tone so you can't even tell I'm wearing anything at all. I highly recommend this product.

on 11/11/2014 4:22:00 PM

I am only into my first week with this product but felt inclined to review. I have had a hard time with clogged pores and suffer from dermatillomania (compulsive skin picking) so I am constantly picking and squeezing at my skin. In my efforts to minimize the stimulus (clogged pores) I have switched up my whole routine and have been trying to find the best solution from cleanser to moisturizer to makeup. I have decided to use all non-comedogenic products which limited my selection with makeup. I have also started Tretinoin Gel . 1% and my skin is very dry and red from it so far. I need to adjust but its clearing up very well.

I have tried every single brand in my shade at sephora to no avail. My most recent try was Cover FX and was not happy. I have also tried CVS products but the colors didn't quite match. I finally found Almay Smart Shade Mousse and have had success before with another brand of a "true match" makeup. I tested the liquid and found coverage to be light and felt more like a moisturizer than a foundation, and so I figured mousse might work and I tried it. I love the whipped texture. I found the coverage to be more medium than light but very easily buildable. I built up some coverage on my pimples pretty easily and set it with a colored powder.

It matched my skin perfectly. The staying power is great for me. I have normal to dry skin and yes, it does stick to dry patches, but I haven't had success finding a makeup to date that hasn't stuck to my dry patches from retin-a. These dry patches are like non-other!!!! So my solution is to slough off with a microfiber cloth and add heavy moisturizer at night, and the same routine in the morning and it works well. I really like this foundation. I think the packaging is modern but like others, don't like the fingers in the jar, so I will use a q-tip to get product out.

I found that you need your fingers to apply to get the color to go from the gray to skin color. I think its a mixture of pressure, and warmth that "pop" the "beads". If you are set on brushes, I would suggest adding a moderate amount to cheeks, forehead and chin, with your fingers rubbing in a small circle until the color blends, then use a brush to apply to the face. I actually like that it works great with the fingers, I don't feel limited to a brush, as some requrie a brush for good coverage.

As far as my pores, lines, and unevenness. It doesn't eliminate my pores, but lessens the appearance. I haven't had any settling issues, or oxidization. The color doesn't change. It finishes in a nice velvety look. Not dewy, not matte. Matte makes me look dry and dull and wrinkly. I think you get a lot for a little amount of product. I have needed concealer on my darkest pimples, but I always do that so I don't mind. The foundation hides all my pigmentation and evens my skin. I am more concerned if I look like I am wearing a face of slightly mismatched makeup, than having to wear a spot of concealer, and this makeup blends th best out of any I have tried, except one other brand, and that was clogging for me, so I haven't found an overall great match until now.

The only think stopping this makeup from being my HG is a flawless airbrushed look, but since my skin isn't in great condition, and my pores are not tiny around my cheeks, its certainly a fabulous product. I will buy again (as of now!) and you can't beat the price for the benefits.

My most important factors in finding a foundation were: medium buildable coverage, skin matching, staying power. This hits those top three.