Urban Decay Theodora Palette

Urban Decay Theodora Palette
Theodora PaletteTheodora PaletteTheodora Palette

4.8

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

This palette is one of my favorites, I love Urban Decay, and this just makes me love the brand more. The quality of the eyeshadows is great, the colors are great, and the little card that shows you how you can recreate the look is pretty cool. The eyeliner is amazing, like the rest of U.D's eyeliners. The lip pencil is a deep red, it comes out smooth, and the color payoff is great. The packaging is also really good because it snaps shut, so you know it will stay closed. And if the shades run out, you can remove them and replace them with new colors of your choice (or the originals because they are listed on the back with their shade names), so I think that's also a plus for these palettes that Urban Decay has, you can refill them if you need.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This has become one of my favorite palettes. I know some people did not like that it was in the build your own style, but I like the fact that when I finish up the shades, I'll be able to put in different UD shadows. Granted that is provided they don't change the style of the individual shadows again.

I will say that I find myself using the shades Broken, Beware, Bewitch, and West the most often. But I do use Spell and Jealous. I really feel this palette is versatile. You can get a simple day look with Broken and Beware and then go in with Bewitch and West for an evening look. I like satin and shimmer shadows so this is a great palette for me. If you are into mattes, there is only one true matte and that is Beware.

The shades are a nice consistency, great quality that I have come to expect from UD. They are pigmented and blend easily. I wear these over primer and they last all day.

The liner is Zero, is is a basic black liner. I haven't opened that yet since I'm finishing up some other liners, but I used the UD 24/7 pencils before and love them. The lip pencil is nice. I think it is actually F-Bomb from their regular collection. It looks okay on me, I usually don't go for reds. I wish it was in automatic format since I prefer that for jumbo lip pencils.

on 2/1/2013 1:37:00 AM

Love this palette. I got suckered for the packaging. The quality of the eyeshadows are great. I got both palettes and i think theodora has less fall out than glinda. Although both palette have beautiful shades, i think theodora suits medium to dark skin tones simply because it compliments better, glinda has too many pastel shades. And if you have very pigmented lips, theodora's lip color would suit you better. Lip color is a little bit drier than what i'd like, i wear clarin jolie rouges but for a cherry red lipcolor, it might be better drier in order to avoid color from bleeding. Overall, this is a fantastic palette, great colors, great quality and great value. If i ever use it up or lose it. I would def repurchase.

on 1/28/2013 2:46:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

So, Urban Decay came out with 2 limited edition palettes for Oz the Great and Powerful movie from Disney (which comes out in March). Anyway, the two are Glinda and Theodora. Both palettes came with limited edition eyeshadows that are named for the movie. Each came with a mini eyeliner and a full size super saturated lip color. I chose the Theodora one because Glinda came with really light eyeshadows and I believe is slightly more cool toned. Theodora came with quite a number of browns and greens and was more suited for my cool toned skin.

The price of the palette is quite high... it's $49 prior to tax. However, you get 6 single [limited edition] eyeshadows (which retail for $18 each!), a travel size 24/7 eyeliner in Zero (full size retails for $19... it has been estimated that this size would be appropriate to retail for about $14.50 to about $15), and a full size super saturated lip color in Theodora (bright vibrate red... which could possibly be F-bomb and this retails for $19). You also get a little card that has "Get this look" instructions to get Mila Kunis's Theodora look (which is really pretty). So all in all, you are paying $49 for a set that would cost about $150. I am not justifying the prices (they're all really high), however, from the retail prices... this is a great price. Oh, note that for some reason, you can purchase this right now on Urban Decay's website as well as Sephora's. However, if you want to purchase this at Ulta, you must wait until January 30, 2013.

The packaging is so handy; it's actually the "Build-Your-Own" palette [which sells for $18 (comes with palette, Walk of Shame, and a brush)]. You can actually pop each eyeshadow out and trade it with another single eyeshadow. The outside of the palette is gorgeous. It is mysterious and exotic and dark looking. It is embossed with Urban Decay as well as Oz the Great and Powerful (with Disney's logo superscripted). I believe the outside is hard plastic. It's very sturdy and you can definitely toss this into your bag or kit without worrying it will flip open. You open the palette to a nice size mirror and then 6 eyeshadow slots with a middle horizontal indent which is used for an eyeliner. I am sure you can put something else instead. I found that my travel size Sigma e25 fit into that spot perfectly as well (it is about 4.75 inches long).

Now on to the shadows themselves. You get:
1) Broken: a satiny cream color. Comes off light on my skintone, but a great color nonetheless and it blends like a dream.
2) Beware: a warm light matte brown. I find it really hand that a matte brown is in the palette... it's just very versatile. It has great pigmentation. Blends well.
3) Bewitch: a slightly shimmery taupe-esque brown. I see specks of green and/or silver. It is a great neutral color.
4) West: a shimmery purple-y color. Reminds me of a more purple shade of Busted (from the Naked 2 palette). Works well with lots of skintones and eye colors.
5) Spell: a golden-green(ish) and charcoal-ish black duo with quite a lot of glitter. The black part does not have the kind of kick you would expect. It actually comes off a bit sheer. You have to really pack it on if you want the opacity of the eyeshadow from the pot. The golden-green is an interesting color. I am not sure how or when I would use it. I did not have problems with that though.
6) Jealous: I believe this is appropriately named since the duo has 2 forms of green-- 1 is a light green-yellow and the other is a mossy-olive green. I really like the darker green. Out of the 2 duos in the palette, this duo definitely stands out more to me because of that dark green. It's very earthy and it allows a more fun neutral look (instead of mostly browns).

Overall, this palette has a lot of neutrals. Personally, I am someone who prefers to wear the colors from this palette. I thought that Glinda's palette was too pastel and light for me, however, those colors are equally gorgeous.

I do believe that this palette is really nice. Is it a must-have? Not really. However, as I mentioned earlier... the price of it is not terrible since the retail price for each item would make this palette be so much more. And you get a full palette of eyeshadows (Build Your Own comes with only one shadow). For me, I am really excited to use it and am so glad it comes with a palette that came be used over again. Since I bought this palette, I do not think I would buy it again (or even a regular Build Your Own palette) because I could buy shadows I want separately. I think that UD tends to put the 24/7 eyeliner in Zero in a lot of sets, so I would not repurchase Zero separately. I would buy some of the shadows again and the lip color. I have had this palette for only a day and a half. I am please with it and believe it is worth it. I would say, if you can get your hands onto this palette, I would recommend it.