Lolita Lempicka Lolita Lempicka

Lolita Lempicka Lolita Lempicka
Lolita Lempicka ad

3.9

on 1/16/2012 9:26:00 AM

One of my favourite scents, made by one of my favourite perfumers. Annick Menardo's Lolita Lempicka eau de parfum is a work of art. The 1990s saw a gourmand boom, hot to cash in on the success of Mugler's Angel. Lolita Lempicka rode that wave, but with originality not found in many gourmands made then and since.

The other main gourmand violet that moves me is Ropion's original Aimez-Moi. They're both zingy, feisty perfumes -- but the original Caron brings to mind crisp autumn days in England or ice cold Hitchcock blondes like Eva Marie Saint and Tippi Hedren.
Lolita Lempicka smoulders -- sweet, rich and darkly sexy. She's Ingrid Bergman in Notorious or Spellbound, or the unhinged beauty played by Marion Cotillard in Inception. Yes, she is definitely Cotillard in 'that' dress, and Cotillard threatening to...jump...

Grown-ups with a fondness for a fairytale or gothic aesthetic will fall in love with the wonderful bottle -- Eve's apple -- purple and gold, with deliciously curly script and curved stem. The design goes well with the super-candied-and-spiced violet-anise. There's a herbal quality to the top of the scent which makes me consider an absinthe note, but it's not exactly absinthe. The patchouli is sweet but ever so slightly 'vetivered'. There's a dance of hot and cool -- I suspect it's the way the anise-violet-iris accord is so expertly handled. Ropion too does the cool-warm thing well in Aimez-Moi but, as I said before, those anise-soaked violets are in the sun, Menardo's are in the shade, maybe even half-buried in the dirt. I get a little cherry sometimes, if I'm lucky -- but this note is better felt in a LE Amarena version of the scent, released years ago.

The perfumer is one of a few who can take a tooth-achingly sweet gourmand base-scent and soften it with smoke or rubber (think Guerlain Bois D'Armenie, think Bulgari Black) and there's smoke here too, snaking its way right through the heart of Lolita-L, getting lost in a haze of heliotrope, getting hopelessly tangled in liquorice whips and lost in a thin mist of powdered sugar.

The way the name trips off the tongue -- Lolita Lempicka -- fabulous. What is that Nabokov quote? "...Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta."

Full marks for everything. Think: wild glamour, lost souls, chaotic love and dangerous beauty. Wow, just - wow.

on 6/19/2011 2:45:00 PM

Lolita Lempicka is definitely sweet. But unlike many other perfumes, the sweetness here isn't foodie nor floral and I don't find it to be a necessarily girlish scent.

As so many others have mentioned, the licorice/anise note is very prominent here. But don't think candy licorice, rather it's the star anise straight out of the spice cabinet - spicy (in a peppery way), musty, and with a peculiar sharpness. The heavy ivy note in the beginning also adds a rather intense (imo) greenness. There is a sweetness to the beginning as well but it's obviously separate from the ivy and licorice. It's as if someone put a bowl of sugared water beside the anise and the ivy and then you took a deep inhale..... Separate, but together. I find the overall result is a somewhat medicinal (but not necessarily in a bad way) opening; perhaps a bit too sharply green for my own personal taste but still nice enough.

The middle is where the ivy fades a great deal and seems to be replaced by a woodiness. It's still quite green but the vanilla starts to creep out and the sweetness from the vanilla seems to mix in with the other notes and the sugar tempers the sharpness a bit. The spicyness of the opening licorice remains and combines very well with the sweet. The notes also get a bit more powdery but not intensely so. Personally I'm not very fond of powdery scents but Lolita doesn't get bad enough that I find it unappealing.

The greenness is mostly completely gone in the base. I find the base to be the sweetest part of the entire fragrance. The powderiness from earlier fades a great deal and the scent warms quite a bit and loses the forest-y part of it from earlier. Lolita becomes quite honey-like with bits of spicy chocolate/vanilla and there are the barest, barest hints to something else (licorice, greens). For those of you who don't really like sweet scents though, it's still alright, the base I find to be very very faint and fleeting. You have to concentrate to smell it. The musk does peek out a bit as well, but less so on my skin (on clothes though, it's a different story - the muskiness and peppery aspects are much more prominent and it's much more unisex/mens aftershave kind of scent). The base isn't exactly as warm and inviting as I would like, but then, Lolita's not really a "comforting" fragrance so it makes sense.

Longevity is decent, about 8ish hours or so. And as so many others have said, the bottle's beautifully adorable. I haven't had any issues with the spray top yet but sometimes it can be a bit difficult to see exactly where you've got the opening nozzle turned if you're not paying attention.

Overall, a decent frag. I like it, but it can get a bit sharp for me at times - it might rate a bit higher if the vanilla notes came out more for me and the ivy was toned down just a little-little bit. I find the advertisements to be a fair representation of the perfume - all dark greens and woods but with a sweet dryad at the heart of it all.

on 7/30/2014 8:22:00 AM

yuck, nauseatingly sweet. way too much. like extreme cotton candy.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I got a sample vial of this from Sephora, and while I like that it's complex and unique, the scent has way too much licorice in it! To be fair, I am not particularly fond of licorice to begin with, but I did not expect the licorice to be this overwhelming. I suppose this scent might wear better on someone else, but it's no good on me.

Never in my life have I gotten more compliments on a fragrance. So naturally, I stopped wearing it. Why? I have no idea. I think I like the challenge of finding a new perfume, something a little more off the beaten path, and this one was too easy. I bought it on a whim six years ago, not expecting it to become a signature or anything of the sort, and immediately it became the fragrance people associated with me. This annoyed me somehow, because I definitely delight in the chase. However, I just put this on for the first time in ages and realized that I am an idiot. This was meant to be my perfume: the violet is playful & whimsical, the vanilla-musk combo is cozy & welcoming, and the iris root hints at some kind of underlying sexiness that has to be teased out. I am immediately resuming my wear of this one.

I bought this fine fragrance unsniffed, b/c I love the cute bottle so much! But the fragrance was a disappointment for me, so I gave my Lolita Lempicka away. No regrets... The headnotes are wonderful, but I don't like the drydown. I was something missing all the time... Boring and too floral. But the fragrance for men "Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin" is divine. Love, love, love Lolita Lempicka for Men. This is a very sexy and bold fragrance. Just the right mix for my nose. Delicious and mouthwatering. Simply beautiful and irresistible.

i got a cute sampler of this from nordstrom when i purchased another perfume; it came with a mini bottle, bodywash and lotion... from the sample it seems like a nice scent but very woody and oriental.. if youre into those scents then this is a nice addition to your collection. i much rather prefer florals, so ill finish this sample i guess but i wont spring for the full sized version (i have many others id rather get!! lol)

This is one of the most alluring and sexy fragrances hands down. It is the one I reach for when I'm not sure what I'm in the mood for. Yes Lolita Lempicka is very sweet and licorice-y at first, but after about an hour on the skin something magical happens. It morphs into a sexy, close to the skin scent that just makes you wanna cuddle with someone you love. As corny and rediculous as that may sound...it's so true....give it a try!

on 4/27/2008 1:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is one of my favourite perfumes EVER!
Its my signature scent. I adore it!

I'm sniffing it now, I'll try to describe how it smells -
awh i just cant put into words how gorgeous it is. Its sweet, you can smell vanilla, violets and liquorice (even though i hate liquorice i love this). Its lovely and unique and I love wearing it out.

I discovered this fragrance after being given the shower gel in a goody bag by 'sugar magazine', after attending an interview thing. The SG also is lovely and makes for a lovely fragrance regime when used with the perfume!

The bottle is adorable aswell, (i have 75mls) Its a light violet see through colour in the shape of an apple, with crystal gems dotted around it. I do sometimes find it difficult to spray as the spritz is in the shape of an apple twig, but it all adds to the mystical fantasy feel :]

XX

on 2/28/2008 10:18:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

This smelled so nice when I sprayed it on the scent strip in the store, however, it smelled absolutely awful on my skin. Spritzed on the scent strip or in the air, this had a very distinct fresh note that really drew me too, it seemed unique compared to what I already own. However, as soon as it hit my skin, the freshness disappeared entirely and all I could smell was a really overwhelming spicy scent with a hint of cloying sweetness. I smelled it several times throughout the day and it didn't seem to morph from this at all.

Lasting power was (unfortunately) very, very good. I sprayed it on in the morning (around 8) and could still smell it when I went to bed (around 10).

Usually I really like orientals, so I don't think it is that factor throwing me off - I just seem to only get one or two notes on my skin, and they aren't the pretty notes!

My husband really liked this in the store, so I got a sample to try (I was already wearing perfume) and when I wore it the next day, he didn't even believe that it was the same perfume! We even sniffed the little sample bottle, thinking maybe the lady at Sephora gave me the wrong sample, but nope - it just smells gross on me, but really nice in the bottle!

I also thought that the bottle was very pretty but totally not practical. The little stem that you have to push on to spray the perfume really hurt my finger/thumb. It is just so small and hard that it puts a lot of pressure on your finger when you push it. I definitely wouldn't want to be pushing that down every morning!

Video Reviews & Tutorials