CLARINS Skin Illusion loose powder foundation

CLARINS Skin Illusion loose powder foundation
Skin Illusion loose powder foundation Skin Illusion loose powder foundation

4.1

Talc, Mica, Boron Nitride, Aluminum Hydroxide, HDI/Trimethylol, Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Diphenyl Dimethicone/Vinyl Diphenyl Dimethicone/ Silsesquioxane crosspolymer, Bisabolol, Magnesium Stearate, Fragrance, Palmitoyl Proline, Water, Alumina, Silica, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Magnesium Palmitoyl Glutamate, Sodium Palmitoyl Sarcosinate, Palmitic Acid, Methylpropanediol, Hydroxyethyl Urea, Hydrated Silica, Asparagopsos Armata extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Algin, Opal Powder, Acadia Senegal Gum, Carbomer

on 6/18/2018 2:53:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have initially bought this in the old packaging (the one here in the main picture) because I found it on sale in a departement store at an unbelivably great price. The only shade available was 107 and although right now I'm quite pale and I would need 103 or 105, I thought that this will be perfect for when I have some tan. Long story short: it is amaziiiiiiing!!!

My only experience with mineral foundation is with Jane Iredale Pressed Base, which I like but it doesn't control oil in my T-zonel very well and after a while it highlights my pores. But in principle I love the idea of foundation in powder form because I think that when you wear serum, moisturizer, sunscreen and primer, something with even more silicones on the top is just too much for every skin – this way enlarged pores won't disappear and it becomes a vicious circle.

Although Clarins Skin illusion is called mineral foundation, it conteins ingredients that you wouldn't find in hardcore mineral makeup. First of all talc, which is actually a mineral but seems to be on the black list of many consumers, even if it is in many powders, foundations, eyeshadows and even in some primers. Anyway, I personally don't have any problems with high quality talcum in my cosmetics.
It has also other ingredients that are good to the skin and something that makes light refects because it doesn't look plain and matte like most powders.

The old package is luxurious but a bit tricky, you have to screw the top and push the included good kabuiki brush down in order to release it. Then you have to work with the seal/bowl and the sifter before applying the powder. If you have the space and the time it is a beautiful ritual. Of course I wouldn't do it on the plane or in my car. But for these purposes I would decant a bit of powder in an old BareMinerals Veil container.

Shade 107 is a bit too dark right now but the effect is so natural and luminous with medium coverage! It doesn't enfasise pores at all – but some lines may become visible when I spend lots of time in very dry, heated/air-con offices, so I have to moisturize very well - but this is a problem with ALL foundations. In normal humidity conditions this powder is a charm. It is quite comparable to EL Double Wear Powder Foundation, but this here has more luminosity and radiance.

I have tried it with different bases: only serum, only rich moisturizer, sunscreen, with primer on the T-zone, which made it last quite long and on naked skin. It always looks good. So good, that I have started considering buying the right shade, 103, in the new package for the full price.

But guess what? In my country shade 107 is the lightest available. I couldn't find anywhere 103, or even 105. Why does Clarins only distribute medium to deep shades in the most countries? This is a reason why I rarely buy their foundations, even if the quality is great. I hope they will soon change their distribution policy because I think that they are loosing a lot of clients.

UPDATE: I could finally put my hands on shade 103 Ivory in the brand new package thanks to a travelling friend that bought it in a duty free. The package is now a bit bigger but lighter, the brush is very fluffy with syntetic hair and not dense enough for application but handy for touch ups here and there as it is retractable and attached to the pot through a magnet. It is acually really good for highlighters and blushes. The pot is now sealed so you can't really acceed to the bulk of the powder, you can only sieve it through the holes. I honestly prefer the old model with the kabuki, also for travel.
Shade 103 is very pale and perfectly neutral, no pink, orange or yellow hues, just beige. It looks a bit too light for my complexion but as soon it oxidises on my skin it becomes very natural, like a silky veil, and makes me look like a fairy - LOL!

I have somehow the feeling that Clarins will soon discontinue this product worldwide so I will try to stock up shades 103, 105 and 109 so I can mix them to achive the right shade for every period of the year.

on 1/4/2018 6:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This has been my favorite powder foundation for years! I haven't had luck with any mineral foundation before this one; they either pooled into my pores, didn't stay well, oxidized, broke me out or were visible on the skin. This one does none of that :)

I have light neutral olive skin - about NC20 in MAC (Pro Long Wear for reference), and I use the color 108 Sand, which is the only yellow-toned color, if I'm correct. The coverage is light/medium - more than I've gotten out of man other powder foundation, but definitely not the most covering. What I like the most is that this applies evenly and gives a healthy sheen to the skin. I have used this with both dry and normal skin, and this has stayed perfectly well on both. I use this powder to achieve more coverage, but mainly: to prolong the wear time of my makeup - it sets my foundation very well and prevents it from breaking up during the day. I have used this both instead of foundation, over tinted moisturizer and over foundation, and it works well for all of those methods. It's non drying and doesn't look powdery at all on me, as it is very finely milled. It gives me a very natural finish to the skin. This is one of the rare powder foundations that have not oxidized on me AT ALL - it stays the same color all day long.

Generally, I don't like many products from Clarins; their eyeshadows are pretty and I like their lipsticks. When It comes to foundations, I have tried Everlasting and Comfort, but I liked neither, as they broke me out, likely because of the large amount of perfume in them. This mineral powder is also scented, but I guess the perfume content is low enough to not affect my skin. The rest of the ingredients in this don't bother my skin either: don't irritate, don't clog.

I've already finished one jar of this and gone through about 1/3 of another, and even bought a third one. These jars contain a pretty generous amount of product: 13 grams/0.4 oz, which lasts me about a year, however, they have been difficult to find lately... I'm not sure whether Clarins is planning to discontinue the only product they have that I love... my favorite powder foundation...

Who would I not recommend this to: people with oily skin, and those who want to have a matte finish - this is a luminous satin. Generally, this also doesn't work very well over very moisturizing foundations either - at least on me. Also, this is not full coverage - medium at best

on 6/22/2015 8:15:00 AM

The product itself is great. It is very finely milled, blends well, stays well (like, the whole day over a silicone-based primer), looks smooth on skin. It does have a strong smell, which I suspect has been irritating my eyes and nose.

The packaging looks impressive, but completely impractical. It comes with a useless brush, but that brush is also part of the lid.

It's a very generously sized bottle.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is such a lovely foundation. I have oily skin and it doesn't stop the oil but it does work well with it so I look dewy and radiant rather than just an oily mess. It lasts brilliantly on me and never shows up my dry flaky patches. It looks super natural and healthy looking even though the shade I'm using is too dark at the moment. I think the coverage is light-medium somewhat build able although less than the other mineral foundations I've used (laura mercier and lucy minerals). My only criticisms are the colour and the packaging is completely stupid although it does look nice. The pot is too small to fit a decent brush in and I find the one it comes with to be sctatchy.

I usually go for powder foundations so I bought this product after I read in a women's magazine that it was voted the most natural looking foundation. And indeed it is. It feels and looks just like skin. That being said I am not sure how it fairs with people who have problematic skin and a lot to cover up. I would say it is a medium-coverage foundation and surely you can use a concealer underdeath althought I dont find I need to. Small spots and pigmentations are covered without leaving the face looking like a mask. It also has a nice scent which can be good or bad. I dont mind the smell but someone who is sensitive to perfumed face products might.

However overall I adore this product and would recommend it. I have gotten a lot of compliments on my healthy glowing skin since I have started using it, which only goes to show how good this foundation is. The brush included is also good quality and distributes the powder perfectly.

So here are the pros and cons:

Pros:
good coverage
does not break me out
pleasent scent
lasts a good working day (although I have only tried it in winter)
does not look flaky on dry skin
provides an overall healthy, natural looking finish
good quality brush included

cons:
the packaging is a bit bulky and not travel friendly

PS: my mum liked it so much on me that she bought it as well and is also loving it

on 10/21/2014 1:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

It is an alright powder.
Good coverage, which means you can't really expect a really natural look by applying it. For my case, I can't see any 'glow' effect either, and actually you could see the powder staying in each pore on the face, which is terrible....

It should also be noticed that this is not mineral powder, but whatever...

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

That's my favorite powder right now. U can use it as a powder and if u apply more, it covers just like a liquid foundation. The coverage is so good, u will be surprised that a loose powder can provide such a good coverage. It is light, easy to apply and gives you a nice glow. It looks so natural that no one will even notice that u have it on your face. But if you are looking for a matte powder, then u r not gonna like it.
What I don't like about this powder is the packaging and a brush that goes with it, besides that it is a perfect everyday and a night out foundation!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I am 43, and look like 63 when using mineral foundations.
This one is an exception.
It evens out more than covers, but blurs lines and especially large pores. (Worked in selling makeup, that's how I know about the pores)
Stays on well and doesn't change color.
If you, like me, have dark undereye skin, you may want to use a separate concealer.
Packaging is pretty, but if you want the shiny gold to look good, you have to wipe the fingerprints off every time you use it.
I am very pale, most brand don't make foundations pale enough.
103 Ivory is right for me, but it's not available in Europe, ordered from strawberrynet, in Australia. (Guess they use sunscreen over there)
Will rebuy if I ever run out, quick and easy product.
I just put some powder in the brush, then swirl in the protective cup that covers the holes to the powder.
Pleasant violet scent.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

For being a "mineral powder" it contains a lot of other stuff. Nice scent, but I'm not used to so much scent from mineral makeup. Crazy packaging! Not very environmental friendly to waste so much plastic, and it's also heavy. Hard little brush. Had severe difficulties to remove the inner lid. Didn't want to replace it and use as a bowl for swirling, because would I ever get it up again without tools? Can't take it with me, it's too heavy and that's bad because I travel a lot.
After a few days I filled a Laura Mercier mineral jar with the Clarins powder. Much better!
Anyway, the powder looks good on me and feels good. Got it cheaper because of a a campaign at my store and will not buy it again. Very irritated because of the packaging.

on 1/28/2013 11:55:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The packaging's awkward. Unscrewing the lid is a chore and I always get an exes amount on a brush from where it lays on the powder. The brush itself is too hard and thus irritates my skin.
It's unforgiving to dry skin patches. After a few hours my skin is oily in T-zone and visibly dry on the cheeks. Not good for winter.

upd. I feel I was unfair to this powder. IMHO, it does no miracles for oily skin, the packaging is rubbish and it's no good for a winter dry/flaky skin. But it improves complexion, the brush is not that bad and it smells nice. So, plus one star.