Pureology Color Sylist Fortifying Heat Primer

3.5

Not tested on animals

on 11/25/2016 5:59:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

First off - a disclaimer: I don't have coloured hair and have never coloured it (apart from using the wash in, wash out colours as a teenager) so this really isn't aimed at my hair type. However, I got this as a gift with purchase from an online store and was still keen to try it, based on how impressed I'd been previously with the Pureology shampoos and conditioners.

I can't really claim this did anything particularly special for my hair. It smelt really nice and didn't seem to exacerbate the (minimal) damage my hair suffers with from repeated heat styling. As heat defence sprays go, it's reasonably good and I like the fact that it has plant extracts and is alcohol free, but for the £16.00 price tag there are definitely cheaper versions available out there which are also alcohol free and do just as a good a job (if not better).

If I had to point out one downside to using this, it would definitely be the bottle. The first 10-20 times of use, the spray mechanism worked well and produced a fine mist as promised. However, after that point it started to come out in more of a single stream than a mist, resulting in sections of soaked hair, whilst others barely had any product in them at all. Other than that, it's okay, but I'm not sure I would recommend it as a 'must have/use' product.

on 1/21/2013 1:24:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I've only just started using this as of last Sunday - but so far, I love it. Like all Pureology products, it is very lightweight yet effective, and, of course, sulfate free/alcohol free. It also had a generous amount of protein, which is a godsend when flat ironing damaged hair. The smell is pleasant, and the product absorbs into the hair quickly.

The only qualm I have about this is that too much can come out if you press on the nozzle too hard - so watch out for that. Personally, I find this product works best when spritzed into my hands; this way I can control how much is applied to my hair and completely avoid the heavy feeling this product can give when too much is used.

I will update if I find that my position on this has changed - though I have yet to find another heat protectant that doesn't wreak of alcohol.

Will be repurchasing, but I doubt I'll have to any time soon considering how long this stuff lasts!

UPDATE: I find that the packaging of this is becoming more and more irritating to me - it sprays in one squirt, not a fine mist, so your hair is left feeling heavy and over-saturated. That said, the product itself is still great, so I just poured it into an empty spray bottle that I had from a previous product, and it completely solved the problem. If you're going to buy this, have another spray bottle on hand!

Popular Styling Products