Maybelline New York Eye Studio Master Duo 2-in-1 Glossy Liquid Liner - Violet Luster

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
No Image

1.7

This is definitely going down in the books as one of the most awfully formulated eyeliners that I've ever tried. My usual problems with liquid eyeliners have been dealing with dry felt tips, smudging like hell, and some stinging...this eyeliner is a special kind of terrible.
The first time I used this liner, I was convinced that I got a defective bottle or I haven't shaken it enough to bring out its pigmentation; it was incredibly watery and sheer upon first application. I didn't have much of a problem with this at first; many colored liquid eyeliners, such as NYX's, generally need two traceovers to get a nice, opaque finish. However, this one needed three or more. It took forever to do.
It also needed about an eternity for drying time. In the meantime, you can enjoy playing a very stressful game called "don't let this liner smudge all over the damn place".
Also, the weirdest thing about this eyeliner-- it CLUMPS! It is sometimes watery in some places, and then there are little watery, dark purple clumps of liner that make their way onto their lid! It's like seeing water droplets bubble up on a piece of wax paper. At first, I thought this was because of my primer (UDPP Original), but I tried it on my hand and the same phenomenon occurred. Weird and kinda disturbing.
Its finish was glossy, just as it stated- but when you've got a liner job that feels like a topographical map of the Alps, it looks very uneven and rough when the light hits it. Not flattering at all.
BUT
The one redeeming feature about this eyeliner is that it stayed very well all day. No smudging or flaking. And, the price is good, I guess. Yet, when the eyeliner is this crappy, that doesn't do much to defend it from being sentenced to the garbage bin.
There are so many fantastic eyeliners out there-- and this one is surely not one of them.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This may be the worst makeup product I've ever used. When I first opened it, I realized how watery it was so I shook it up and no dice. Still a watery mess. I figured I bought a defective/old bottle but after reading everyone else's reviews, it seems like it is how the formula is. It's transparent on your lash line, and very, very sticky. I kept trying to layer it but it didn't build, it just got stickier. Trying to take it off was a pain, and I lost a few lashes in the process. It went right in the trash.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

So upset I bought this, even if it wasn't more than $10. It was just a mess. I don't know how to describe it. It came out streaky, and beyond shiny (not in a good way). It's difficult to use as well, and I'm no amatuer. I tossed it after 1 use.

on 11/11/2013 2:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

It takes a lot for me to hate a basic beauty product, but I have to say that this is just a TERRIBLE product. Truly just bad. I've tried the colored version as well as the basic black, and both were just absolutely awful. The "dual tip" is not intuitive at all, and the formula tries to a weirdly transparent finish, which necessitates multiple layers. If you've ever dealt with liquid liner before, you know that it's not exactly conducive to layering--because the formula has to be so sticky to stay on your oily lid, this usually just leads to an awful, clumpy finish. The awkward shape of the handle, plus the long felt brush, makes it too easy to get it into your lashes, which ends up being a complete mess and makes you look like you have spider legs glued to your lids. The formula is so dense that combing through with a mascara brush doesn't resolve it--you have to use makeup remover. After multiple attempts, I never figured out out to make a thin line to flick it out (and I work in beauty, so if anyone was going to figure it out, it would be me). And, after looking in the mirror at work a few hours after applying it, I was HORRIFIED by the appearance. A patchy, gross mess that I was embarrassed to be stuck with in a professional setting.

At the end of the day, the classic brush and formula model of liquid liner is tricky, but at least you can practice at it and get better. I feel like you're best off putting your efforts towards mastering that than dealing with products like this that apparently make it "easier." Maybelline is by far my favorite drug store brand, and I'm just so disappointed that they would put something like this out into the market. It is definitely making me question my loyalty a little. I guess I'll be sticking with my Makeup Forever stuff.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Wow! I can't believe the reviews I'm reading... I feel like I'm looking at reviews for a different product! I bought this at a "store closing" sale at Kmart, and I'm glad I did. I also got the turquoise/teal color, which I love even more. It did seem watery when I first opened it, but the package clearly says "Shake well." So, I shook it for 15 seconds and that did the trick. I applied this over e.l.f. eyelid primer. It took about 30-45 seconds of fanning my face before the eyeliner was dry to the touch. No big deal, because once it was dry it stayed on without smudging for the entire day. I forgot to remove my makeup before bed, and when I woke up the next morning my eyeliner was still perfectly un-smudged. I love the broad tip, and if you turn it 1/4 turn, you can use the skinny side as a fine tip. I would absolutely buy this eyeliner again!

on 8/19/2013 12:43:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Horrible, horrible, horrible product! This is the worst makeup product I have ever used to date...and I've used some pretty bad ones. I'd give this one a zero if I could. I even called Maybelline to complain, and that's a first--even with the other bad products in my life, I've never bothered to notify their manufacturers' corporate offices.

The formula is weird: it's watery yet goopy. I had little violet color (electric violet, mind you, not the beautiful purple depicted on the packaging!) go on the eye, yet I had all of this eyeliner matting my eyelashes and holding onto my eyelids for dear life. I couldn't remove it without removing all of my other makeup. The applicator just makes things worse...perhaps if the formula was better, then the thick/thin trick the applicator is supposed to do just might work. Instead, the plastic applicator smears it on as one thick line regardless of how you angle it.

This is one time that I wished I checked in with MakeupAlley before purchasing. Everyone was right about this product being garbage...which is exactly where the eyeliner went after I attempted to use it. I had also purchased the bronze color but despite the good (and only) review it has, I'm returning it unopened to the store--the experience with the violet has burned me pretty bad, and I'm not willing to take any chances.

on 7/17/2013 8:51:00 AM

I wouldn't have liked this product if I got it for free.

When people buy liquid liner, it's because they want a smooth, intense line. This product is incredibly watery and makes a smeary, transparent line that hardly has any color. It is certainly not violet; In fact it looks about the color of dirty dishwater unless you spend a good amount of time shaking it. Even then, it's a light sheer purple at best. The applicator is just stupid. Maybe it would work for a thick formula, but with this diluted crap, it just makes a mess. The product also never dries. I swatched it on my hand to compare to my other purple liquid liners, and after a few minutes, the other liners had dried on my skin. This one, however, had a gross sticky feeling, like I put honey on my hand and let it sit.

I really expected more, considering all of the raves about the gel eyeliner, but this is by far the worst liquid eyeliner I have ever tried, from any brand. I love other eye products from Maybelline, like the color tattoos and Colossal mascara, but this is a sub-par dud. I have no idea how this product got past R&D.

I agree with most of the other reviewers. There was a sale at my local drugstore for buy one, get one half-off so I picked up the Violet Luster and the green color. The violet was very sheer, when what I wanted, and what the package advertised, was a deep bold purple. The consistency of the green was better. It's at least opaque and bright. However this product is runny when wet, then when it dries, turns into a very strange latex consistency. I got some in the base of my eyelashes and it was impossible to put mascara on afterwards. However, if you're looking for staying power, this is the answer to all your problems! My Almay eye makeup remover pads were completely unable to dissolve this stuff. I had to pick it out of my eyelashes, which was painful and took a few lashes with it. I put some on my wrist to test it again and it required a good deal of scrubbing, which is not something I want to do to my eyelids! I will not be using this product again and I do not recommend it for anyone.

on 3/30/2013 11:28:00 AM

I got this in the black color it is pretty runny and wet feeling when you put it on. It stays on and dosent budge though! To me both sides of the applicator had the same size line when applied. I still use it but not quite what I was hoping for.