Maybelline New York Eye Studio Master Duo 2-in-1 Glossy Liquid Liner - Violet Luster

No Image

1.6

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I like this better than any of the expensives eyeliners at the cosmetics counter at the mall. It is waterproof, smudge proof, lasts all day, and washes off easily with just warm water. I like a retro cat eye look and this is perfect for creating it everyday! I have it in brown, black, green, and blue. All beautiful!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Wow! I can't believe the reviews I'm reading... I feel like I'm looking at reviews for a different product! I bought this at a "store closing" sale at Kmart, and I'm glad I did. I also got the turquoise/teal color, which I love even more. It did seem watery when I first opened it, but the package clearly says "Shake well." So, I shook it for 15 seconds and that did the trick. I applied this over e.l.f. eyelid primer. It took about 30-45 seconds of fanning my face before the eyeliner was dry to the touch. No big deal, because once it was dry it stayed on without smudging for the entire day. I forgot to remove my makeup before bed, and when I woke up the next morning my eyeliner was still perfectly un-smudged. I love the broad tip, and if you turn it 1/4 turn, you can use the skinny side as a fine tip. I would absolutely buy this eyeliner again!

on 5/12/2015 4:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Violet luster is a pale,shiny lavender eye liner. It's watery and kinda sheer. But,after a couple coats,it becomes a bit darker. When it sets,its sticky. When dry,it becomes smoother. Beeing too pale to use on my eye lids,i use it at the bottom of my eye lashes.

on 3/30/2013 11:28:00 AM

I got this in the black color it is pretty runny and wet feeling when you put it on. It stays on and dosent budge though! To me both sides of the applicator had the same size line when applied. I still use it but not quite what I was hoping for.

on 1/20/2013 8:38:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love the concept of this, but the color is not what you think it will be. The first few times I tested and swatched it, it was extremely watery and clear. It definitely is light violet, and while it's not sparkly, it's definitely shiny. I was expecting something that was a deeper purple, but whatever. HOW TO APPLY: Sweep one layer to draw out the shape. When it is COMPLETELY dry, draw another layer on. Don't apply too much or the shine will look ridiculous. This liquid liner is waaay too high maintenance for someone like me who is always running late. I'll use this, but I don't think the formula compares to Stiletto eyeliner. The beautiful color and cool, easy-to-use applicator make this product worth around a 3.

on 6/16/2013 8:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

worst eyeliner I've ever tried!! it justs come off real easy and does not last.

on 1/27/2013 10:41:00 AM

I was very disappointed with this product.I got the violet color and was excited to try it. The package has a picture of this dark violet pigment perfectly lined on the models eye. That is very far from what this product actually does. The liner is very watery. There is a total lack of pigment. Even when I shake it very well the liner is still extremely watery. Once the product dries I retrace it and it does look better, but it is weird and shiny if you use too much. The first time I used this I kept retracing it before the first coat was dry and it made my eyelids sticky! Once I learned to shake the hell out of it, apply a coat, let it dry, then apply another coat, it actually looks OK. That is the only reason it got a 2 star and not a 1 star. There is definitely no ease of use with this product. I usually use purple and pink eye shadows so I will use this, so it is not wasted. I won't be buying it again.

This is so bad. I did not read the packaging which was my fault but I bought it intendin for something matte. It is so shiny u can't even look at my eyelid with out being blinded. I sat in the car trying to figure out what the heck this "duo tip" was I thought it would be special but it was not one side of the pen is thick the other isn't so I was actually disappointed because I was expecting something cool. It flakes off after about hmmm 3.4 milliseconds this eyeliner disgusts me although it is very easy to apply so if you are a beginner and want to practice you could purchase this to figure out how to make a nice wing just don't expect to wear it out of the house because it's gross eyeliner but u can't at least get the form of a wing. Three words. Shiny. Flaky. Mortifying.

This is definitely going down in the books as one of the most awfully formulated eyeliners that I've ever tried. My usual problems with liquid eyeliners have been dealing with dry felt tips, smudging like hell, and some stinging...this eyeliner is a special kind of terrible.
The first time I used this liner, I was convinced that I got a defective bottle or I haven't shaken it enough to bring out its pigmentation; it was incredibly watery and sheer upon first application. I didn't have much of a problem with this at first; many colored liquid eyeliners, such as NYX's, generally need two traceovers to get a nice, opaque finish. However, this one needed three or more. It took forever to do.
It also needed about an eternity for drying time. In the meantime, you can enjoy playing a very stressful game called "don't let this liner smudge all over the damn place".
Also, the weirdest thing about this eyeliner-- it CLUMPS! It is sometimes watery in some places, and then there are little watery, dark purple clumps of liner that make their way onto their lid! It's like seeing water droplets bubble up on a piece of wax paper. At first, I thought this was because of my primer (UDPP Original), but I tried it on my hand and the same phenomenon occurred. Weird and kinda disturbing.
Its finish was glossy, just as it stated- but when you've got a liner job that feels like a topographical map of the Alps, it looks very uneven and rough when the light hits it. Not flattering at all.
BUT
The one redeeming feature about this eyeliner is that it stayed very well all day. No smudging or flaking. And, the price is good, I guess. Yet, when the eyeliner is this crappy, that doesn't do much to defend it from being sentenced to the garbage bin.
There are so many fantastic eyeliners out there-- and this one is surely not one of them.

on 5/5/2015 9:16:00 PM

No no. Horrendous. This lacks pigmentation and I know maybelline does great liners so don't know how it happened. It's sticky, kinda like lash glue. It's flaky (if you use contacts don't get near this, just don't). watery and takes forever to set. The applicator I get it but I think if the formula wasn't so runny it would actually work.