Maybelline New York Eye Studio Master Duo 2-in-1 Glossy Liquid Liner - Violet Luster

Filtered by age: 19-24
No Image

1.5

on 11/11/2013 2:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

It takes a lot for me to hate a basic beauty product, but I have to say that this is just a TERRIBLE product. Truly just bad. I've tried the colored version as well as the basic black, and both were just absolutely awful. The "dual tip" is not intuitive at all, and the formula tries to a weirdly transparent finish, which necessitates multiple layers. If you've ever dealt with liquid liner before, you know that it's not exactly conducive to layering--because the formula has to be so sticky to stay on your oily lid, this usually just leads to an awful, clumpy finish. The awkward shape of the handle, plus the long felt brush, makes it too easy to get it into your lashes, which ends up being a complete mess and makes you look like you have spider legs glued to your lids. The formula is so dense that combing through with a mascara brush doesn't resolve it--you have to use makeup remover. After multiple attempts, I never figured out out to make a thin line to flick it out (and I work in beauty, so if anyone was going to figure it out, it would be me). And, after looking in the mirror at work a few hours after applying it, I was HORRIFIED by the appearance. A patchy, gross mess that I was embarrassed to be stuck with in a professional setting.

At the end of the day, the classic brush and formula model of liquid liner is tricky, but at least you can practice at it and get better. I feel like you're best off putting your efforts towards mastering that than dealing with products like this that apparently make it "easier." Maybelline is by far my favorite drug store brand, and I'm just so disappointed that they would put something like this out into the market. It is definitely making me question my loyalty a little. I guess I'll be sticking with my Makeup Forever stuff.

on 10/18/2013 8:24:00 AM

I'm glad I only paid $5 for this because it is probably the worst makeup product I have ever used. Other reviews here are spot on: watery, horrible applicator, sticky as heck, took THREE coats to even get it to be purple and it's not the purple depicted on the packaging.... It clumped up into my eyelashes making my mascara look like absolute crap too. If I didn't have to go to work I would have removed it all and started over with my e.l.f. Liquid eyeliner which is so much better quality for $3. I'll keep it around maybe for Halloween or something but I won't be using it again.

on 7/17/2013 8:51:00 AM

I wouldn't have liked this product if I got it for free.

When people buy liquid liner, it's because they want a smooth, intense line. This product is incredibly watery and makes a smeary, transparent line that hardly has any color. It is certainly not violet; In fact it looks about the color of dirty dishwater unless you spend a good amount of time shaking it. Even then, it's a light sheer purple at best. The applicator is just stupid. Maybe it would work for a thick formula, but with this diluted crap, it just makes a mess. The product also never dries. I swatched it on my hand to compare to my other purple liquid liners, and after a few minutes, the other liners had dried on my skin. This one, however, had a gross sticky feeling, like I put honey on my hand and let it sit.

I really expected more, considering all of the raves about the gel eyeliner, but this is by far the worst liquid eyeliner I have ever tried, from any brand. I love other eye products from Maybelline, like the color tattoos and Colossal mascara, but this is a sub-par dud. I have no idea how this product got past R&D.

on 6/16/2013 8:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

worst eyeliner I've ever tried!! it justs come off real easy and does not last.

on 6/5/2013 12:32:00 PM

I got a tube (Bucket? Pot? What the heck is this packaging?) in the Violet Luster shade because I read in Allure that purple/plums make green eyes pop. I put on two layers of it on one eye and it was milky and basically transparent, so I wiped it off my eye only to discover that it left a sticky residue on my eyelid. The eyeliner is now sitting in the trashcan next to me.

on 1/20/2013 8:38:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love the concept of this, but the color is not what you think it will be. The first few times I tested and swatched it, it was extremely watery and clear. It definitely is light violet, and while it's not sparkly, it's definitely shiny. I was expecting something that was a deeper purple, but whatever. HOW TO APPLY: Sweep one layer to draw out the shape. When it is COMPLETELY dry, draw another layer on. Don't apply too much or the shine will look ridiculous. This liquid liner is waaay too high maintenance for someone like me who is always running late. I'll use this, but I don't think the formula compares to Stiletto eyeliner. The beautiful color and cool, easy-to-use applicator make this product worth around a 3.