CHANEL Raffinement

CHANEL Raffinement

3.8

on 9/21/2013 9:32:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I really love this eyeshadow quad. It just looks rich. The colors are incredibly neutral - neither too warm or too cool. The shimmer is very slight - and they feel like silk and butter. I also love the fact that every color in the quad is one that I would use. And although all are neutrals along the same family line, I can easily get at least four different looks out of it for different kinds of events. I can use this for work, for travel, for evenings with friends, and weekends. In today's market, it is my favorite eyeshadow quad

Sad to say this just didn't do it for me. I purchased it based on reviews here while on a business trip, running into Saks and purchasing it with no time to try it out first. The colors looked beautiful in the case, but once on me it just made me look tired, with no obvious color behind the effect. I also didn't think there was particularly good color payoff. I haven't used Chanel e/s for at least a decade, and now that I've tried Chantecaille, CdP, Tom Ford, Shu I don't feel that Chanel is on par with the quality. I gave it away to someone whose coloring it would complement more.

For reference I'm a warm light-olive PPP with brown/hazel eyes & blonde hair.

This is my first Chanel eyeshadow purchase. I'd been on the fence about this quad, especially given that its $59... Then I got a coupon for $20 off a $40 purchase from a big department store. So I had to get this.

I have oily lids that require a primer. So I use Urban Decay Primer Potion + either one of the following on top,depending on if I'm doing a cool or warm eye shadow color :MAC Paint Pot in Painterly or Soft Ocre or MAC Paints in Untitled or Bare Canvas.

So far ,the light shades in Raffinement have all worked quite well when paired with any of the bases above. Except for the dark brown, which flakes. Badly. Racoon eye bad. Even if you use it just a tiny bit.

I really wanted to like this quad, but the dark color flaking off brings down the good qualities. You can't help but expect better from Chanel. What's the point of adding a dark color that you can't use to do a smokey eye for fear of looking like an accidental racoon?? The dark brown in the (sadly) discontinued Wet n Wild Vanity eye shadow set holds up better. It goes to show: Just because it costs doesn't mean it's the best.

on 4/19/2013 5:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Summery: My first Chanel eye shadow purchase. I've recently become more interested in neutral colors as opposed to the bold colors or deep smokey eyes I'm used to wearing. This was my first neutral palette purchase and I was blown away by how good these eye shadows were. The color scheme works so harmoniously, and each of the colors are unique enough to where they're not run-of-the-mill typical browns and taupes. I like the applicators the quad comes with, I usually don't use the applicators that palettes come with because I prefer brushes, but these work very well and are suitable enough to actually use. My only complaint is the packaging. First, the one good thing about the packaging is I like the lock closure, it seems very secure and I like that it's not magnetized. But what I don't like is the plastic seems quite thin, so I think it'd shatter very easily if dropped or rumbled around a bit in a bag, which is disappointing given the price that I paid.

Likes: Buttery smooth eye shadows, acceptable pigmentation, gorgeous neutrals palette, comes with a very high quality velvet pouch (better than Dior's and Burberry's).

Dislikes: thin plastic packaging

Overall Verdict: This product is amazing, the quality of the shadows is rave-worthy, and despite my dislike of the packaging, I will be repurchasing. Note: Although it is a Spring 2013 release, the quad is part of the permanent range.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I'm kind of torn with this product. The shades are nice, but I don't really find myself reaching for this. The colors are plummy browns and taupes. It could be that I'm just lazy and have not really been wearing a lot of makeup.

Moving on...the shadows themselves are quite nice. The pigmentation is good and the texture is buttery. Normally, I don't wear shadow without primer because I have oily hooded eyes. I was doing a quick run through using this quad one day, so I skipped primer. The colors creased quite quickly when I used them. So, I would say there is nothing special about the lasting power.

I used a gift card to buy this. If I had paid cash, I probably wouldn't have kept this. How great this is probably depends on your stash.