Chanel Raffinement

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
Chanel Raffinement

3.8

Sad to say this just didn't do it for me. I purchased it based on reviews here while on a business trip, running into Saks and purchasing it with no time to try it out first. The colors looked beautiful in the case, but once on me it just made me look tired, with no obvious color behind the effect. I also didn't think there was particularly good color payoff. I haven't used Chanel e/s for at least a decade, and now that I've tried Chantecaille, CdP, Tom Ford, Shu I don't feel that Chanel is on par with the quality. I gave it away to someone whose coloring it would complement more.

For reference I'm a warm light-olive PPP with brown/hazel eyes & blonde hair.

on 4/19/2013 5:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Summery: My first Chanel eye shadow purchase. I've recently become more interested in neutral colors as opposed to the bold colors or deep smokey eyes I'm used to wearing. This was my first neutral palette purchase and I was blown away by how good these eye shadows were. The color scheme works so harmoniously, and each of the colors are unique enough to where they're not run-of-the-mill typical browns and taupes. I like the applicators the quad comes with, I usually don't use the applicators that palettes come with because I prefer brushes, but these work very well and are suitable enough to actually use. My only complaint is the packaging. First, the one good thing about the packaging is I like the lock closure, it seems very secure and I like that it's not magnetized. But what I don't like is the plastic seems quite thin, so I think it'd shatter very easily if dropped or rumbled around a bit in a bag, which is disappointing given the price that I paid.

Likes: Buttery smooth eye shadows, acceptable pigmentation, gorgeous neutrals palette, comes with a very high quality velvet pouch (better than Dior's and Burberry's).

Dislikes: thin plastic packaging

Overall Verdict: This product is amazing, the quality of the shadows is rave-worthy, and despite my dislike of the packaging, I will be repurchasing. Note: Although it is a Spring 2013 release, the quad is part of the permanent range.

This is my first Chanel eye quad in many years. I had purchased one about 15 years ago but found little color payoff in the previous palette. This new one is awesome! Love the colors and payout is great. Don't need much of any color to get a great look. Color lasts all day - with or without a primer. I tend to use primers and have found that both Smashbox and Avon work great with these colors. Definitely see this as a more cool, neutral palette. On me, the colors are more purple than brown. Looks great with green eyes.

on 1/20/2013 7:58:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I had the opposite experience than the first reviewer. I thought they looked like every other neutral eye quad I owned when I saw them swatched on the blogs.
I went in to the store and tried them on. I really ended up loving them. I tried to replicate how RaeReviewer did hers. I wore it all day and kept looking at my eyes. They made my greens eye pop. I am definitely going back getting this quad and the highlighter that came with this collection.
Update:: Made my eyes look tired. Too much gray toned for me.

on 1/18/2013 11:20:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I am torn and a little puzzled by this quad. It's the new one for Spring 2013, and while I like it, I don't love it, which surprises me. First, the swatches I saw online have a distinct plummy tone to them, esp. the darker shades; the powders themselves have it too. But when I apply it, I don't get those tones at all. Just a nice set of neutral browns. Don't get me wrong - I live for neutral brown shades, but this really isn't what these looked like. I was hoping for the plummy tones but I don't get them. Also - these have a strange finish, at least on me. They're very.... sheeny? Not metallic or frosty, but there's an excess of sheen to them, at least imho. I wish it was toned down, as it's stronger than in the other quads I have, such as Kaska Beige and Beige de Chanel. I find the shadows apply nicely, have decent, but not superb pigmentation for nc25-30 (and probably a few shades darker - I think very dark skinned ladies will be disappointed)
Would I buy again - no, not this quad. I'm a bit disappointed, and would really like to give this a 3.5 instead of a 4. I would advise you to try it on for size and see how the shades apply and look on *you*. This is a surprisingly YMMV quad, and I didn't expect it to be.

Hope this is helpful.