CHANEL Raffinement

Filtered by skin type : Combination
CHANEL Raffinement

on 3/9/2014 5:27:00 PM

I gave this 5/5 on everything but I said I wouldnt buy again and thats simply because its SO MUCH $$$$ I feel that I could get similar eyeshadow colors in a less expensive brand. But, now that I have this I do like it and appreciate the quality. Very soft eyeshadows with great pigmentation! I feel that this is a neutral quad leaning on the cool side. The dark brown color has a kind of purpley hint in it (on my skin at least) that I like. If you want to splurge on chanel this is a great product to add to your collection! I think this quad is very versatile and will look great on just about everyone!

Pros
-quality is great
-lots of pigmentation
-no creasing
-easly blends
-soft
-no fragrance

Cons
-expensive

on 2/4/2014 5:23:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

The shadows in this one are almost too buttery soft and mushy which makes for easy blending which some will love but I prefer my shadows to have a bit of firmness and a bit more pigment and all 4 colors have varying degrees of shimmer -- to micro-glitter bits. While the two deeper plummy grey browns are indeed lovely sultry colors, I found it too much work and not enough fun to go outside of the palette to get a tasteful look that was flattering for my age and skintone ( in Mac I am nc40) and olive toned. I returned it.

on 1/30/2014 9:16:00 AM

I have green eyes, which is supposed to mean I should be wearing purple-based shadows. However, they usually don't look good on me. I do look good, however, in this quad, because the colors are brown-based plums. I wouldn't buy these shadows again since there are so many shadows out there that perform beautifully at a much lower price point. However, I am happy I splurged on this.

on 9/21/2013 9:32:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I really love this eyeshadow quad. It just looks rich. The colors are incredibly neutral - neither too warm or too cool. The shimmer is very slight - and they feel like silk and butter. I also love the fact that every color in the quad is one that I would use. And although all are neutrals along the same family line, I can easily get at least four different looks out of it for different kinds of events. I can use this for work, for travel, for evenings with friends, and weekends. In today's market, it is my favorite eyeshadow quad

Sad to say this just didn't do it for me. I purchased it based on reviews here while on a business trip, running into Saks and purchasing it with no time to try it out first. The colors looked beautiful in the case, but once on me it just made me look tired, with no obvious color behind the effect. I also didn't think there was particularly good color payoff. I haven't used Chanel e/s for at least a decade, and now that I've tried Chantecaille, CdP, Tom Ford, Shu I don't feel that Chanel is on par with the quality. I gave it away to someone whose coloring it would complement more.

For reference I'm a warm light-olive PPP with brown/hazel eyes & blonde hair.

on 6/14/2013 7:32:00 PM

I would not be overstating it to say that this is my HG of eyeshadow quads. It's just spectacular in its simplicity. It seems to me that we makeup connoisseurs spend a lot of time looking not for fancy things, but really amazing staples-the best nudes, reds, etc.

So, in that vein, this is the very best brown eyeshadow quad I have ever tried. All four of them are finely milled, easy to apply, and have that sort ethereal, glowy quality really fantastic powder eyeshadows have. I have fair skin and blue eyes for reference. I put on a bit of MAC painterly before I apply the shadows from Raffinement and they stay all day. Wonderful!

This is my first Chanel eyeshadow purchase. I'd been on the fence about this quad, especially given that its $59... Then I got a coupon for $20 off a $40 purchase from a big department store. So I had to get this.

I have oily lids that require a primer. So I use Urban Decay Primer Potion + either one of the following on top,depending on if I'm doing a cool or warm eye shadow color :MAC Paint Pot in Painterly or Soft Ocre or MAC Paints in Untitled or Bare Canvas.

So far ,the light shades in Raffinement have all worked quite well when paired with any of the bases above. Except for the dark brown, which flakes. Badly. Racoon eye bad. Even if you use it just a tiny bit.

I really wanted to like this quad, but the dark color flaking off brings down the good qualities. You can't help but expect better from Chanel. What's the point of adding a dark color that you can't use to do a smokey eye for fear of looking like an accidental racoon?? The dark brown in the (sadly) discontinued Wet n Wild Vanity eye shadow set holds up better. It goes to show: Just because it costs doesn't mean it's the best.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I'm kind of torn with this product. The shades are nice, but I don't really find myself reaching for this. The colors are plummy browns and taupes. It could be that I'm just lazy and have not really been wearing a lot of makeup.

Moving on...the shadows themselves are quite nice. The pigmentation is good and the texture is buttery. Normally, I don't wear shadow without primer because I have oily hooded eyes. I was doing a quick run through using this quad one day, so I skipped primer. The colors creased quite quickly when I used them. So, I would say there is nothing special about the lasting power.

I used a gift card to buy this. If I had paid cash, I probably wouldn't have kept this. How great this is probably depends on your stash.

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

Now, I am usually very pleased with Chanel makeup. The quality is usually phenomenal and this palette is no exception. I hated the Spices quad but this beautiful quad with a mauve undertone is perfect for spring and fall. The colors are smooth and very, very pigmented.

I'm not much of a chanel e/s fan because the quality varies in each quad. But, this is one of the nicest chanel quads that i've tried. Pigmentation is good, the shades are all soft and blendable and vary from hi-mid levels of shimmer, with one satin shade. Varying finishes are important to me, nothing worse than trying to make 4 frosty shades work together. Another bonus is the mix of cool, neutral, and slight warm shades, all varying from pale, mid-toned, to dark crease shade. Top left is a slightly cool taupe mauve, top right is a neutral champagne shade, bottom left is an almost rosy golden beige (slightly warm, but mostly neutral), bottom right is a deep brown with plum undertones (neutral leaning cool).