Chanel Raffinement

Chanel Raffinement

4.3

on 1/18/2013 11:20:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I am torn and a little puzzled by this quad. It's the new one for Spring 2013, and while I like it, I don't love it, which surprises me. First, the swatches I saw online have a distinct plummy tone to them, esp. the darker shades; the powders themselves have it too. But when I apply it, I don't get those tones at all. Just a nice set of neutral browns. Don't get me wrong - I live for neutral brown shades, but this really isn't what these looked like. I was hoping for the plummy tones but I don't get them. Also - these have a strange finish, at least on me. They're very.... sheeny? Not metallic or frosty, but there's an excess of sheen to them, at least imho. I wish it was toned down, as it's stronger than in the other quads I have, such as Kaska Beige and Beige de Chanel. I find the shadows apply nicely, have decent, but not superb pigmentation for nc25-30 (and probably a few shades darker - I think very dark skinned ladies will be disappointed)
Would I buy again - no, not this quad. I'm a bit disappointed, and would really like to give this a 3.5 instead of a 4. I would advise you to try it on for size and see how the shades apply and look on *you*. This is a surprisingly YMMV quad, and I didn't expect it to be.

Hope this is helpful.

on 1/20/2013 7:58:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I had the opposite experience than the first reviewer. I thought they looked like every other neutral eye quad I owned when I saw them swatched on the blogs.
I went in to the store and tried them on. I really ended up loving them. I tried to replicate how RaeReviewer did hers. I wore it all day and kept looking at my eyes. They made my greens eye pop. I am definitely going back getting this quad and the highlighter that came with this collection.
Update:: Made my eyes look tired. Too much gray toned for me.

This is my first Chanel eye quad in many years. I had purchased one about 15 years ago but found little color payoff in the previous palette. This new one is awesome! Love the colors and payout is great. Don't need much of any color to get a great look. Color lasts all day - with or without a primer. I tend to use primers and have found that both Smashbox and Avon work great with these colors. Definitely see this as a more cool, neutral palette. On me, the colors are more purple than brown. Looks great with green eyes.

on 1/22/2013 5:34:00 PM

Regardless of the debated "true tones" others see in this essentially neutral brown based quad, it has to be tried on to be fully appreciated. I have the darkest brown eyes and typically go for neutral shades and expected this to be a great quad since all the colors looked great together in the case but when I tried them on yesterday for the first time, I was really very impressed. This will be my every day-go-to-quad from now on. Life is too short to wear anything else at this point, and I've pretty much tried everything. I plan to buy another one this week even though it's not LE I NEVER want to be withut this. It looks THAT good on me, and I don't usually spend close to 60.00 on shadows often since it's usually not warranted.

The textures are exquisitely smooth and silky. Incredibly blendable. Sumptuous even. I found myself looking at my eye makeup many times yesterday trying to pinpoint exactly what makes these colors so gorgeous. I am still speechless in that regard but trust me, this is a superlative product. It's got something truly unique and special. I can't imagine it not working for anyone actually. Run to the nearest Chanel counter sans eye makeup and try this but be sure to check it in natural light as well. I think you'll love it too.

By way of background, I've been "collecting" high end makeup for decades and have all the most popular palettes etc. This one is in a class of its own.

on 2/4/2013 9:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This quad is sooo elegant and pretty. It isn't just another neutral quad. I previously had the beige and prelude Chanel quads, and the beige one was a bit too warm on me while the prelude quad just wasn't flattering, but this one really enhances my blue eyes. It is hard to describe the colors, definitely look up some swatches and check it out! It is neutral and I think it would be flattering whether you're warm or cool toned.

I'm not much of a chanel e/s fan because the quality varies in each quad. But, this is one of the nicest chanel quads that i've tried. Pigmentation is good, the shades are all soft and blendable and vary from hi-mid levels of shimmer, with one satin shade. Varying finishes are important to me, nothing worse than trying to make 4 frosty shades work together. Another bonus is the mix of cool, neutral, and slight warm shades, all varying from pale, mid-toned, to dark crease shade. Top left is a slightly cool taupe mauve, top right is a neutral champagne shade, bottom left is an almost rosy golden beige (slightly warm, but mostly neutral), bottom right is a deep brown with plum undertones (neutral leaning cool).

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

Now, I am usually very pleased with Chanel makeup. The quality is usually phenomenal and this palette is no exception. I hated the Spices quad but this beautiful quad with a mauve undertone is perfect for spring and fall. The colors are smooth and very, very pigmented.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I'm kind of torn with this product. The shades are nice, but I don't really find myself reaching for this. The colors are plummy browns and taupes. It could be that I'm just lazy and have not really been wearing a lot of makeup.

Moving on...the shadows themselves are quite nice. The pigmentation is good and the texture is buttery. Normally, I don't wear shadow without primer because I have oily hooded eyes. I was doing a quick run through using this quad one day, so I skipped primer. The colors creased quite quickly when I used them. So, I would say there is nothing special about the lasting power.

I used a gift card to buy this. If I had paid cash, I probably wouldn't have kept this. How great this is probably depends on your stash.

I need another neutral eye shadow like I need a hole in the head, yet somehow I was drawn to this because of the reviews. I can't recall the last time I was so pleased with an eye shadow purchase! Below, Caramellane gives a good description of the colors. I love the fact that there are both warm and cool shades here, yet they all lean towards the middle ground. I have been using the bottom left and top right shades on a daily basis, and they look great and give me a fresh, natural, awake look.
I also love that there is NO fallout (looking at you, BURBERRY). I use these over Too Faced primer and they last all day on me.

on 4/19/2013 5:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Summery: My first Chanel eye shadow purchase. I've recently become more interested in neutral colors as opposed to the bold colors or deep smokey eyes I'm used to wearing. This was my first neutral palette purchase and I was blown away by how good these eye shadows were. The color scheme works so harmoniously, and each of the colors are unique enough to where they're not run-of-the-mill typical browns and taupes. I like the applicators the quad comes with, I usually don't use the applicators that palettes come with because I prefer brushes, but these work very well and are suitable enough to actually use. My only complaint is the packaging. First, the one good thing about the packaging is I like the lock closure, it seems very secure and I like that it's not magnetized. But what I don't like is the plastic seems quite thin, so I think it'd shatter very easily if dropped or rumbled around a bit in a bag, which is disappointing given the price that I paid.

Likes: Buttery smooth eye shadows, acceptable pigmentation, gorgeous neutrals palette, comes with a very high quality velvet pouch (better than Dior's and Burberry's).

Dislikes: thin plastic packaging

Overall Verdict: This product is amazing, the quality of the shadows is rave-worthy, and despite my dislike of the packaging, I will be repurchasing. Note: Although it is a Spring 2013 release, the quad is part of the permanent range.