Clinique Clarifying Lotion #2

Clinique Clarifying Lotion #2

2.9

Water, Alcohol Denat, Glycerin, Hamamelis Virginiana (witch hazel), Menthol, Acetyl Glucosamine, Trehalose, Soudium Hyaluronate, Butyene Glycol, Sodium Bicarbonate, Red 6 (CI 15850), Red 33 (CI 17200), EXT. Violet 2 (CI 60730)

on 6/19/2016 9:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I have oily to combo skin but the sales assitant told me this would work well with the oily skin facewash and moisturizer.

It was pure hell using this. It stung my oily skun and I feel sorry for those with dry skin. It was full of alcohol it seems.

How do companies like Clinique make such colossal mistakes?

Never repurchase!

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Info on ingredients: This product has Alcohol denat and it's listed high on the ingredients so not in small amount. Alcohol can be irritating for some people, and could definitely make your skin get drier or oilier. Basically it will wipe off the natural oil of the skin and after that point your skin might produce even more oil (and get oilier) or do nothing and your skin might get drier because you wipe off the natural oil with alcohol. This also has menthol, which also can be irritating for some skin types. Although I like the smell of menthol and surely enjoy the refreshing feeling that comes with it, it's no good for skin. Now, all these obviously make this product risky for skin care so to speak, if it's your first time buying I suggest trying a travel size first. I would also not recommend using it every day or even multiple times a week. But...

The sides of my nose always get peeled like dandruff. Gentle face washes and tonics do nothing for that area, those dandruff-looking dead skins just stay. Stronger face washes and tonics clean that area well. Unfortunately the next day they return, but sometimes I just need that area clean and since my skin is very thin and on sensitive side I stay away from scrubs and alike. This is when I use those stronger face washes/tonics. This tonic totally cleaned that area. I use a very small amount for my tzone and neck after I wash my face with a gentle face wash, and it didn't cause any irritation for me so far nor it broke me out. It took the excess oil off my tzone. It also stings a bit because of the alcohol, which is kind of good as lately I'm getting one cystic acne on the exact same spot on my chin, alcohol can do a better job at killing the bacteria that causes that acne more than face washes. The product's another claim is "helps fine lines disappear" but that's a silly claim, no it doesn't do that.

I would certainly not recommend using it daily, I myself will use only once or twice a week at most. I'm generally not a big fan of Clinique and found most of their products to be overrated but this one is pretty good in my opinion.

To Read all 767 Reviews, Login or Join

on 5/14/2016 9:52:00 PM

This was my first product from Clinique. I purchased this due to recommendation for my skin type and I wanted something that would refresh my skin. I threw it out with 3/4 still left in the bottle.

I usually have a habit of looking at the ingredients list before buying a new skin care product but this time I did not do that. It reads- "Dermatologist- developed, allergy tested, 100% fragrance free" and I guess I assumed that it would be suitable for my fairly sensitive skin.
Oh boy was I wrong...
I wish I would have smelled this before purchase because it just reeks of alcohol. No wonder as Alcohol Denat. is on the second place in the ingredients list of this product. In result this always left me tearing up from the smell and my skin was badly inflamed for hours.

And watch out- it's flammable (!) until dry. That alone should let you know how good this is for your skin. But for real... Alcohol Denat. will have very very drying properties and even if product containing it feels like a miracle right away- it will cause trouble overtime.

The packaging is nice and definitely feels high end it would go great paired up with good product inside. Not impressed with this one.

on 3/19/2016 4:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This toner provided a nice smooth surface on the skin. It was a bit drying but I assume it's meant to be followed up with lotion afterwards since it's a toner so that wasn't a problem. The only issue I had was that the alcohol smell was pretty strong and was slightly disconcerting to me since I have sensitive skin. I rarely use toners anymore and I don't feel justified purchasing this due to the price tag but this does its job.

EDIT: Used it again the next morning and it created a lovely set of red panda eyes. Red swelling isn't my thing :/

on 3/7/2016 6:56:00 AM

Best toner i have ever used! Dont be scared of the menthol or alcohol...my skin is so so sensitive and i really really like this. It makes my skin very smooth and glowing

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I adore this product I have been using it for years. I have normal skin which is dry under my eyes and around my nose. I love using this it really cleans the skin and has a exfoliating effect. You definitely need to use a good moisturiser afterwards. I love the clinique face wash, exfoliating scrub and this toner, however I have never found a clinique moisturiser that I get on with which is annoying as I love the other products.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I'm on my second bottle. I love it ! This is my first introduction to the toning process. I've been using it for a year and half and I'm very satisfied. It leaves the skin clean and smooth ready for moisturizer.
This is one of my HGs, it completely changed my skincare routine process.

on 1/6/2016 10:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

UPDATE:
So, after that very bad experience for a week, I looked for a milder product when I encountered a Clinique staff who explained me better how to use it and why it was over-drying my skin. My opinion about this exfoliating toner has completely changed these past days! Went from 2 to 5 lippies!

What the staff told me to do, which convinced me to not buy any other toner and to try her piece of advice, is that the cotton puff must be soaked only once. That small circle of alcohol product is enough for the whole face. And the other extremely important thing is one should apply with the cotton puff onto the face only ONCE. Do not sweep it twice, three times or more on an area of the face!

Still I wanted to balance that pretty drying-exfoliating-toner with a good moisturizer containing oil though my combo/dry acne-prone skin. (I believe that we should have a little oil-barrier.) Instead of getting a new toner that day I went for Clinique's dramatically different moisturizing cream which is PERFECT with this! The combo of those two products don't break me out at all.

My skin now looks and feels so much brighter, soft (thanks to the dramatic moisturizer haha) and its tone evened out. Thanks to this toner, my pimples and pustules are all getting smaller and more discreet, as if I don't have any ungraceful bulging things on my face anymore. The difference is truly dramatically noticeable. I can move my facial muscles while smiling and laughing without being hurt by gross scars and pustules, that's amazing, yes. I think this is the greatest step I've ever made to tame my acne I've been dealing with for 7 years. Thanks Clinique!

__________________________________________________________

This product is actually the biggest mistake I've ever made among skincare products shopping… I trust Clinique, though. I usually like their products but this one is a big no.

The packaging is ok. I like the hard plastic bottle, it's simple and practical.

The problem is that it actually feels like containing only alcohol. I don't mind the stinging feeling after applying it (witch hazel and menthol, ha) but it's ridiculously drying for a product for dry/dry combo skins! I actually avoided the anti-blemishes line because of the harsh effects but this is far from being better! My skin suffers badly from acne, redness and frequent pustules. And this didn't help at all. I can't even know if it worsened it or not but it for sure created incredible extremely dry patches on my face after just one week of use: eyelids, nose. Gross. And no, that ain't exfoliating. And even if it was a new way to exfoliate the skin, it's far from being gentle and respectful to the skin. With those dry patches, forget the makeup, even the lightest one.

I'm stopping the use right now and I'll give a try to the mild version of the clarifying lotion family. I will never recommend it to anyone since I don't even know what skin type would actually find that product suitable or helpful.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I started using Clinique's 3-step program when the company first came into existence, which should give you an idea of how ancient I am. At the time, it seemed to be the first "modern", scientific and young skin care line, compared with all the old lady creams from Helena Rubenstein, Elizabeth Arden, Cyclax, etc. It's been decades since I've moved on but I always have a bottle of Clarifying Lotion 2 in my makeup cabinet for those hot, humid summer days when I want something to cut through the grease and grime on my T-zone. And I'll use a Q-tip to dot this on a pimple. It is very harsh and not something I'd use regularly but it is good to have on hand.

My mom have been using this religiously every since she was in college, it was her holy grail product. However right now since she's already 50 her skin got dryer so she stopped. I have been using it since I was in high school (introduced by my mom), it's been around 4 years now. I'm still loving it.