Make Up Academy (MUA) Undressed

Price: $

on 1/2/2016 10:18:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I'm torn about this palette. It is undoubtedly a fantastic deal (£4!?): shadows with very good pigment and good staying power (with eyeshadow primer - I've not tried them without). The different shades are nice, ranging from fairly discreet (though shimmery) nudes to gold-toned ones more suited for parties. There's definitely some fallout, since the shadows are very powder-y - no creaminess here. The packaging looks ok, great even considering the price of the palette. It's probably not the most durable packaging, but that doesn't bother me too much. I've paid more for other drugstore palettes with equally cheap plastic-y feel (hello NYX dreamcatcher palette).

But here's my main problem: the shadows irritate my eyes. At least I'm pretty sure the shadows are to blame. Last time I used them was the worst experience yet. On New Year's Eve I used some golden shadows to create a party look, and I went pretty heavy on the shadows. I generally have pretty sensitive eyes, and when creating a smoky eye I've previously had problems with my eyes watering and the skin at the corner of my eye getting red and irritated. The problem has practically gone away since I started using slightly better products (i.e. skipping the really cheap ones as well as brands whose main focus isn't makeup, like H&M etc). Two days into the new year, I'm sitting here with sore, red and irritated skin at the corners of my eye. It makes me hesitate to reach for this palette again.

That being said: if you haven't ever had problems with eye makeup before I'd say go for this palette if you're looking for a good palette to play around with, for very little money!

on 5/29/2013 6:16:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I rushed to buy this after seeing some video reviews which compared each shade to the Naked palette. I do not own the UD palette and would not invest so much money in one product (especially since I have so many products already) so I figured out I could give this a try. Man, you cannot go wrong with it! the colors are beautiful and really easy to pair to create everyday looks. I love the combinations you can make with it and with a good primer it lasts the whole day for me. the consistency it's not the creamiest but it's also not bad considering it is so cheap. really easy to carry around as well since it's so compact, even though I find the packaging it's not the best and tends to be a bit too fragile. definetly a great buy for its price, and MUA often has discount and free products so it's just a good staple to keep in your collection.