Make Up Academy (MUA) Undressed

Price: $

Price: $

on 8/16/2013 12:06:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm reliably informed that this is a dupe for the Urban Decay Naked Palette, but having never tried it I can only base my review on this one... and I have to say I'm very impressed!

As you'd expect from a palette that only costs 4.00GBP, some of the colours in this are a bit touch and go. Some apply much better than others, whilst the pigment on a couple of them leave a lot to be desired. Having said that though, overall this is a really good palette for the price and it has a lot of usable, versatile colours in it to choose from.

If you're just starting out experimenting with makeup or aren't willing to pay the higher prices of Urban Decay, MAC, Clinique et al. then I would certainly recommend giving the MUA palettes a try. They have others in the range which I also own and overall I've been really pleased with them.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

My new favourite palette - you can't go too far wrong for 4. Praised as an affordable dupe for Urban Decay's original Naked palette in the blogosphere, since all shades are..well, they're pretty much all identical in colour, shade & finish - I own both and I only just noticed putting them next to each other how similar the shades really are. Same lights, neutrals, darks, mattes and shimmer shades. I do notice when applying that I need slightly more of the MUA shadow to build up a good amount of pigmentation, but when applied properly it's hard to tell the two brands apart, especially with the lighter shades. It would be interesting to swatch both palettes just to see how similar they really are. My oily lids make short work of any shadow in a matter of hours, but both UDPP and E.L.F's eye primers keep MUA shadows on all day, so I rarely have a problem with lasting power.

I use the light matte shades and light shimmer shades the most for every day - love that the palette isn't just mattes or shimmery colours and truly has hundreds of possible combinations due to the selection of shades, unlike coloured palettes where it's harder to mix and match. I haven't mixed these shades with any of my other shades as these all complement each other so well and have transitioned seamlessly from my winter to summer makeup.

The packaging is pretty typical 'cheap' thin plastic packaging - absolutely nothing special but at least the front is clear plastic so you can see the shades inside without having to open it up. Although the palette itself feels a bit thin and flimsy, it's done its job so far & I suppose this helps keeps the cost down so I can't complain!

MUA shadows aren't the best formula in the world, but they're close enough to similar high-end ones it's hard to tell the difference. I've been using this for months now and don't even feel guilty for using slightly more product to build up the colour because of the price - at 4 it's just rude to say no. MUA is a real hit-or-miss brand but next time I'm in Superdrug I'll be buying all the other palettes!