Burberry Complete Eye Palette in Pale Nude No. 03

No Image

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I won't be able to describe my experience with this palette as detailed as the person above me. Burberry is really understated makeup with little color, something I look for. The art of looking natural.

So from my perspective:

Pros:
1) 4 shades that allow me to have a nude eye for work. I can play around with this but it's really a standout nude eye. Burberry single shadows are a nicer quality but they did bring a lot of that to this palette. I also don't like buying a palette where I don't use all the colors (wasteful), here I use them all... yes all four colors... less is more if you use it all!
2) The color lasts a full work day for me (10 hours). I have fair-medium skin (Trench 203 - not too pink, or brown but more like a golden skin tone).
3) Packaging - sleek, sophisticated and no wasted room for applicators (that no girl really uses)
4) Easy for travel - as much as I love single shadows they are not travel friendly

Cons: the price is a whopping $59 USD (April 2013)

on 1/14/2013 5:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

If you're familiar with Dior's Incognito eyeshadow quint then you'll already have some idea of what this looks like. This is a beautiful palette, especially if you're a fan of subtle, softer eyeshadow looks. It's one of those works-with-anything palettes without being in the brown range like so many of those types of palettes are. I love Burberry shadows, they're so pigmented and dense, easy to blend and work with, and they're so powdery soft. I've mentioned this in my other reviews of the line, but many of the shadows have this gleam that reads as a burnished patina that I've never seen in another shadow range. Not quite shimmery, not quite metallic, just an understated glow that's really flattering. So while I already have the Dior palette and didn't need something so similar, I couldn't resist that amazing finish.

The two palettes are incredibly alike; in a side by side comparison they share four shades that are in the same color family. Here there's a white, a pale vanilla-yellow-gold, a pink tinged nude, and a warm almond. All that's missing is the gray shadow that's included in Incognito. But where the Incognito shades are muted, these are more true in color, so they appear slightly brighter and less toned down. That's not to say they're vivid or intense, simply more clean versions of each color. I found that they translate well onto my skin; how they appear in the pan is how they show up once applied, with the exception of the white shade, which is more sheer and has more visible shimmer than the others. I don't usually bother with a primer and they wore all day without creasing or fading, though my skin is on the normal to slightly dry side so I don't typically have issues with eyeshadow longevity. So, a more detailed description of the colors below. Sorry for the longer post!

White: Pure, cool-toned white without any underlying gray. The only shade in the palette with a visible mixture of silver and white shimmer. Applies more sheerly than the other colors but still shows up well. Looks great as a brow/tear duct highlighter.

Gold: Subtle, warm-toned, creamy pale yellow. Not "gold" by any means. Doesn't clash with my cool-toned skin, which as a rule doesn't work well with yellows. Very subtle gleam, no visible shimmer, just a delicate shine.

Pink: Subtle, warm-toned, nude-pink with some soft, barely there brown undertones. It's really beautiful, the stand out for me. Same finish as the yellow shade but with a touch of visible silvery shimmer.

Brown: Warm-toned, medium almond brown. I use it as a crease shade but also looks nice all over the lid with the pink shade in the crease. There's some barely there gold micro-shimmer and that gleaming finish.

I never use the included applicators in palettes so I'm glad that this case just features the four shadows and a mirror. It's the same polished gunmetal packaging as the rest of the line with a magnetic closure. It does show fingerprints but other than that no complaints here. If Incognito wasn't everything you hoped it would be, or if you're looking to try the Burberry line out then I'd suggest trying this out. It's versatile enough to be a good starting point if you're new to the line or just looking for something that you can get a lot of use from. I was concerned that this was a mistake when I purchased this because of how similar it is to Incognito but I prefer this over the Dior. A couple of the Incognito shades just didn't look that great on me, especially the center apricot one, and I find that these work much better with my coloring.