Tarte BB tinted treatment 12-hour primer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 sunscreen

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Tarte BB tinted treatment 12-hour primer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 sunscreen

Sunscreen ingredients: titanium dioxide 4.55%, zinc oxide 3.50% -Titanium Dioxide -Zinc Oxide Other ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Isododecane, Polysilicone-11, Mica, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Hexyl Laurate, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Stearic Acid, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Alumina, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Dipalmitoyl Hydroxyproline, Diamond Powder, Iron Oxides.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I purchased this product on sale in the color "light". My usual shade in Tarte foundations is Light Neutral. My skin is oily, with some deep smile lines and large pores (more like craters) in my T-zone. I also have fine wrinkles on my chin and around my lips (don't smoke, kids. Seriously.).

Pros:
1) Extends the protection of my SPF 50 sunblock.

2) Blends easily into skin

3) Smooths skin fairly well.

Cons:
1) Oily skin can affect wear time.

2) Sheerer than most BB creams I have tried.

3) A Minimal range of colors

Review:
As stated above, I have active, oily skin with a lot of texture. I initially purchased this product when I was on a BB cream kick; somehow I thought my ruddy, acne-marked skin could be balanced out with these lightly colored products. I'm still trying to figure out BB creams. Do I use them like foundations, or like tinted moisturizers? Should I apply them under over my sunblock? I chose to use them over sunblock, and more like a foundation rather than a part of my skin care routine.

As a BB cream, this did not work for me. It's so sheer that when I applied it onto my florid skin it disappeared. It's so emollient that building it up just left my skin super-moist and my oily skin made it break up almost immediately. I can't get any kind of coverage from this product in order to even out my skin tone.

As a primer, however, I have decent results for a few hours. I can smooth it over my cheeks, press it into my T-zone, and apply a powder foundation or a face powder over it and I get a smooth, almost poreless look to my skin. I have to use this with an oil control primer spray and finishing spray (Skindinavia Oil Control Primer Spray and Oil Free Finishing Spray), however, to get any kind of extended wear on it. Because it's summer and wretchedly hot and humid, I get maybe two hours of coverage from this before it starts to break up on my chin and cake around my nose and in my smile lines, and settle into those fine lines (I'm serious. If you smoke, quit. Even if you vape, quit. Once those lines develop they don't go away.).

In short, if you have normal or combo skin this may work for you. With my florid, textured, oily skin, I only see this extending the protection of my sunblock and giving me minimal help as a primer. There are better products out there with lower price points. It's okay, and I'll continue using it until it's gone or it goes bad. I just won't be replacing it.

on 2/26/2017 10:34:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this after seeing rave reviews by vloggers, but I have to say that it's not amazing. I had been using the Face Shop Matte BB Cushion as everyday go-to coverage, but found that it took too long to apply, so was on the lookout for tinted moisturiser you could apply quickly with your fingers and be done. The first problem was that the seal on the thing isn't actually glued on, so it moves easily and the cream just drips everywhere. When I opened it at home I thought it had been used. So I took it all the way back to Sephora, and the shop assistant opened up all the other tubes and found the same thing had happened. Annoying, but who cares, as long as the cream itself is as good as they say?

Well...the cream claims to be hydrating, and so in theory you could use it without having to apply moisturiser first. I was completely wrong on that front. With the bb cream on without moisturiser, the drier parts of my face were flaking, and the non-dry parts looked powdery. With the exception of areas around my nose, my skin isn't particularly dry at all, but the hydration in this cream just wasn't enough. You would definitely need to use a separate moisturiser underneath this unless you have super oily skin. This is more of an After-Moisturiser Tinted...Something. Tarte calls it a "treatment", so I guess technically speaking, the labelling isn't misleading.

The finish is described as natural-looking by a lot of vloggers, but I found that it was cakey and powdery in places, making it seem like I had powdered my face instead of using a cream. I also missed the slightly dewy, glowing look of my Face Shop BB Cushion - there isn't any glow to be found with this cream, just a flat...and need I say it again, powdery look.

The cream retails for $46 here in Sephora Australia, which is definitely overpriced for something that does a decent job but lacks any outstanding qualities that would compel you to buy it instead of paying the same amount for a bb cushion or cream with a better finish.

I imagine it will look less powdery with a layer of moisturiser underneath it, so I'll be applying moisturiser, waiting for it to sink in, and then layering on this bb cream - the same process I go through with the BB cushion, and my Missha bb cream, so really, getting this defeated my original purpose. Oh well, if I ever graduate from bb creams to foundation then this could be a good primer, and it could give me more coverage under my bb cushion, so I guess it hasn't been a complete waste of time.

on 3/5/2016 12:27:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This is a surprise. I wasn't expecting this to work but it did.

I saw the mini version in Sephora and decided to buy to try it out. I bought the light shade which was the closest to my skin tone.

The first time I use it, I applied it with my fingers. Worked but I found the layer too thick. Second time I tried, I applied it with my Beautyblender. Surprisingly, it didn't spread as well. In fact, quite a bit of product was soaked up by my Beautyblender, so I had to use more. The third time, I used my RT Expert Face Brush to buff in the initial layer. It blended really well and I was able to add another layer for more coverage with the same brush. Then, depending on how much coverage I need on that day, I used my Beautyblender (normal and micro-sized) to 'bounce' in more product on the spots that need more coverage, namely the blemishes, visible pores and fine lines and around the eyes. Lastly, I set it with my EM's finishing dust.

This is a highly pigmented primer with a foundation-like coverage, which saves me a lot of time. Especially on days I'm in a rush or when I'm feeling lazy but still need to even out my skin or need the level of coverage afforded by foundations. It's long-wearing and waterproof, but doesn't break me out. It's also not as pricey as some of the other Tarte's primers and foundations.

I suppose this may become one of my staple products because not only it works, it's rather convenient to use.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Got this at Sephora. I bought the travel size just to test it out. I was really impress how well the product sits on my face and super happy it didn't broke me out. I usually stay away from make up fearing my acne will go crazy. Even with my oily face and humid environment this bb cream stayed put and controlled my oil well. I do need to blot after couple of hours. I like the fact that it is light enough for my skin to breath but still offer enough coverage. If you're skin is more on drier side I would recommend using a very moisturising moisturiser ahead of this. It can be a bit too dry for non-oily skin. I took a lippie away since it's rather expensive and comes in limited shades. Do wish they'll expand the shades in the future.

Pros:
- didn't broke me out (YAY!!)
- very smooth texture
- controls oil well (survived the humidity of a tropical country)
- buildable
- comes in high SPF
- packaging is nice & easy to store

Cons:
- very limited shades (5 in regular size & only 2 in travel size)
- expensive for the amount you're getting
- still need to use corrector/concealer (it doesn't cover scars/spots completely)

Update: this transfers quite a bit every time I blot. I'm on the oily side. It does cover redness around my nose. The colour is not a match to my skin tone but can be compensated with powder.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

This was my first ever makeup item as a young teenager and I was crazy about it. I LOVED how this bb cream felt on application. It's like a hot knife on butter!! The coverage is very light and dries to a nice matte finish. The tube packaging is very sleek and minimalistic-- however, it can get messy at the opening and lid. Nonetheless, this was my HG for most of my high school years. Unfortunately, I had to stop using it senior year as it left a terrible white cast in flash photography and senior year was basically flash photography everyday.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is my base of choice this past summer. The shade Light worked with my summer tanned NC 35 skin and it was such a comfortable and easy base to wear. I initially looked into finding a cheaper alternative with the same first two ingredients in the Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer, Cyclopentasiloxane and Isododecane, which was a combination that was difficult to find. I stumbled upon this BB cream from Tarte, which not only contained the initial ingredients but also felt very similar to the texture of the Hourglass primer, perhaps the Tarte is more mousse-y in consistency.

Colour wise, I think I was lucky: the shade Light is actually more of a traditional medium shade with a orange lean, which matched my tan. Coverage was in between a light to medium, more on the medium end, not buildable - it did a great job of evening my skin tone but I wouldn't rely on it for a flawless canvas. I was certain when researching this product, it does contain SPF ingredients, but for whatever reason, I can't find this info on the bottle or packaging itself; either way, I don't trust it for flash photography.

I rub in a pea size amount with fingers, focusing on the center of my face where I get the oiliest, have the biggest pores, and most redness to cover up. It does a decent job of countering all three skin issues I have that I do not use another foundation over it, just dabs of concealer where I have stubborn imperfections. I use a light dusting of powder to set and this will last me for a good 6 hours before I need to blot.

Lastly, I recommend getting the travel size of this BB cream from Sephora; in Canada, a full size is 1 oz for $43 CDN, while the travel size is 0.5 oz for $17 CDN.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Love this BB cream. The texture is incredibly smooth, and when you put it on your skin it really blends in. Usually it's super obvious to me when someone has foundation on.
It's very light and doesn't have very high coverage but it's the perfect amount for me.
I don't wear it every day, but when I do, my skin feels softer and clearer at the end of the day when I take it off.
I use it on its own and I just apply it with my fingers.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Bought a travel size one at Sephora and man, I wished I got the full size one! The product is very liquid-y and light. Although coverage is meh, but this is meant to be light, so I used my liquid foundation as my concealer, and set everything with Laneige sun powder.

Although I have asian skin tone, I bought the light shade ( I forgot to check the shade, as it was an impulse buy along the Sephora cashiers) but it turns out surprisingly well. However, it seems to oxidise, giving a darker shade towards midday, which is a tad disappointing.

Colours are buildable and blurs out the pores. Will definitely buy this again!

on 5/10/2015 9:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I wear this at least 5 days a week for school. I'm in the shade fair and it's a perfect color match for me, which is pretty rare because I'm so pale. It gives medium coverage for redness and you don't need to use a lot of product. I've had my tube since mid February and I have a good amount left. The SPF 30 in this stuff is absolutely amazing and makes it perfect for an everyday product. I only wish it was a bit less expensive.. 36, tarte?! Really? I think at the checkout at Sephora there are "travel" sized bottles for around $10, but only in two of the shades. :( I've been looking for a dupe for this but since I can't really find anything, I'll continue to purchase this because it's perfect and has lasted me 3 months so far with a good amount (about 1/2) left. Luckily I still have gift cards from the holidays.

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I've been using this product since about January. One of my New Year resolutions was to improve my skin, and I figured a "healthier" make-up could help with that.

I had been eyeballing this product ever since its initial release, but the price tag and small size was off-putting. "You can get a lot more product from other companies for the same amount of money!" I thought. Yes, this is true. However, it doesn't matter if the other products are unsatisfactory. This product is truly worth the money, I'd say. Imma tell you why!

Texture: this feels slippery and silky like a primer. In fact, the packaging says you can use it as a primer...aside from special events, I think that may be overkill. I wear it alone. This great texture is wonderful at filling in the potholes--uh, I mean pores--on my face. Does it completely smooth them out to Photoshop perfection? No, let's be realistic. Besides, that would look freaky. What it does do is make my face look like it has normal-sized pores, which is a huge win for me. I've had other products achieve this, but they broke me out (filled in my pores too well, I suppose!). The texture blends out evenly and easily without streakiness.

Coverage: this is light-medium coverage. It's pretty good at covering up my blotchiness that occurs due to nerves and heat. Unless it's that time of the month and I have a big honkin' hormonal zit, I generally don't feel the need to use concealer. Despite this decent coverage, it doesn't feel like anything is on my face. Not only is it weightless, but my skin feels like it can breath. Once set with powder, I don't have much issue with transferring, either.

Benefits: Okay, here's what really sealed the deal for me! It has SPF30, which is one of the higher SPFs you see in make-up. I prefer an SPF in my make-up, since many standalone face sunscreens burn my face (Why? I don't know, I assume it's an inactive ingredient they feature). This doesn't sting. Another goodie: the longer I used this (as in, about a month into using it), my face looked better. Less blotchiness, fewer bumps (not acne, just little bumps I previously would get), and less acne. I'm not sure if the "treatment" effects it claims were at play, or if previous products I used were just that irritating to my skin, but either way I was HAPPY. Another happy point: it's pretty good at controlling the oily mess that my face typically is, without the smothering feeling of most oil-control products.

The last time a make-up really helped improve my skin was when I switched to Bare Minerals Matte (I just got over the extreme-o mess that stuff made). Where before I was constantly trying new foundations, I have no desire to do so now. It's a keeper!!