Tarte BB tinted treatment 12-hour primer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 sunscreen

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
Tarte BB tinted treatment 12-hour primer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 sunscreen

3.8

Sunscreen ingredients: titanium dioxide 4.55%, zinc oxide 3.50% -Titanium Dioxide -Zinc Oxide Other ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Isododecane, Polysilicone-11, Mica, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Hexyl Laurate, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Stearic Acid, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Alumina, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Dipalmitoyl Hydroxyproline, Diamond Powder, Iron Oxides.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I purchased this product on sale in the color "light". My usual shade in Tarte foundations is Light Neutral. My skin is oily, with some deep smile lines and large pores (more like craters) in my T-zone. I also have fine wrinkles on my chin and around my lips (don't smoke, kids. Seriously.).

Pros:
1) Extends the protection of my SPF 50 sunblock.

2) Blends easily into skin

3) Smooths skin fairly well.

Cons:
1) Oily skin can affect wear time.

2) Sheerer than most BB creams I have tried.

3) A Minimal range of colors

Review:
As stated above, I have active, oily skin with a lot of texture. I initially purchased this product when I was on a BB cream kick; somehow I thought my ruddy, acne-marked skin could be balanced out with these lightly colored products. I'm still trying to figure out BB creams. Do I use them like foundations, or like tinted moisturizers? Should I apply them under over my sunblock? I chose to use them over sunblock, and more like a foundation rather than a part of my skin care routine.

As a BB cream, this did not work for me. It's so sheer that when I applied it onto my florid skin it disappeared. It's so emollient that building it up just left my skin super-moist and my oily skin made it break up almost immediately. I can't get any kind of coverage from this product in order to even out my skin tone.

As a primer, however, I have decent results for a few hours. I can smooth it over my cheeks, press it into my T-zone, and apply a powder foundation or a face powder over it and I get a smooth, almost poreless look to my skin. I have to use this with an oil control primer spray and finishing spray (Skindinavia Oil Control Primer Spray and Oil Free Finishing Spray), however, to get any kind of extended wear on it. Because it's summer and wretchedly hot and humid, I get maybe two hours of coverage from this before it starts to break up on my chin and cake around my nose and in my smile lines, and settle into those fine lines (I'm serious. If you smoke, quit. Even if you vape, quit. Once those lines develop they don't go away.).

In short, if you have normal or combo skin this may work for you. With my florid, textured, oily skin, I only see this extending the protection of my sunblock and giving me minimal help as a primer. There are better products out there with lower price points. It's okay, and I'll continue using it until it's gone or it goes bad. I just won't be replacing it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

What is it about makeup that makes us keep looking for something better when you already have something near perfect. I've been using and loving this product for years, and I keep purchasing and getting rid of similar products in the search of something better. Nothing I have tried comes close in terms of lasting power, it literally stays on for 12 hours. This goes on smoothly, has great coverage, minimizes pores, and doesn't make me greasy or break me out. I hope tarte keeps making this forever.

I really like this primer. I use it as my all over primer and foundation. My skin definitely still gets shiny by the end of the day but this make up definitely doesn't start breaking down on my skin until after the 12 hours which makes a huge difference. I use a matte finish powder over a layer of this for full coverage and it has been wonderful.

I will mention that it did take a couple of weeks for my skin to adjust. I was breaking out for the first couple of weeks because I hadn't worn any liquid foundation in years. It still clogs my pores a little bit but as long as I wash it off at the end of the day it's been fine. I would definitely recommend it if you have super oily skin and have a problem with your make up breaking down halfway through the day!

on 8/21/2016 3:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Great texture! I use it in Medium and it makes my skin look almost airbrushed and glowing. I was actually asked how I have such good skin thanks to this.

Sheer coverage, good for everyday use. Unfortunately, it doesn't last too long.
Also, the travel sized version is considerably cheaper than the regular one - $28/oz as opposed to $36/oz. No wonder all the travel ones are sold out. :(

on 3/5/2016 12:27:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This is a surprise. I wasn't expecting this to work but it did.

I saw the mini version in Sephora and decided to buy to try it out. I bought the light shade which was the closest to my skin tone.

The first time I use it, I applied it with my fingers. Worked but I found the layer too thick. Second time I tried, I applied it with my Beautyblender. Surprisingly, it didn't spread as well. In fact, quite a bit of product was soaked up by my Beautyblender, so I had to use more. The third time, I used my RT Expert Face Brush to buff in the initial layer. It blended really well and I was able to add another layer for more coverage with the same brush. Then, depending on how much coverage I need on that day, I used my Beautyblender (normal and micro-sized) to 'bounce' in more product on the spots that need more coverage, namely the blemishes, visible pores and fine lines and around the eyes. Lastly, I set it with my EM's finishing dust.

This is a highly pigmented primer with a foundation-like coverage, which saves me a lot of time. Especially on days I'm in a rush or when I'm feeling lazy but still need to even out my skin or need the level of coverage afforded by foundations. It's long-wearing and waterproof, but doesn't break me out. It's also not as pricey as some of the other Tarte's primers and foundations.

I suppose this may become one of my staple products because not only it works, it's rather convenient to use.

on 2/7/2016 9:19:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Love this product. It does have to adjust to your skin but it's fantastic. Coverage is awesome for a primer

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Got this at Sephora. I bought the travel size just to test it out. I was really impress how well the product sits on my face and super happy it didn't broke me out. I usually stay away from make up fearing my acne will go crazy. Even with my oily face and humid environment this bb cream stayed put and controlled my oil well. I do need to blot after couple of hours. I like the fact that it is light enough for my skin to breath but still offer enough coverage. If you're skin is more on drier side I would recommend using a very moisturising moisturiser ahead of this. It can be a bit too dry for non-oily skin. I took a lippie away since it's rather expensive and comes in limited shades. Do wish they'll expand the shades in the future.

Pros:
- didn't broke me out (YAY!!)
- very smooth texture
- controls oil well (survived the humidity of a tropical country)
- buildable
- comes in high SPF
- packaging is nice & easy to store

Cons:
- very limited shades (5 in regular size & only 2 in travel size)
- expensive for the amount you're getting
- still need to use corrector/concealer (it doesn't cover scars/spots completely)

Update: this transfers quite a bit every time I blot. I'm on the oily side. It does cover redness around my nose. The colour is not a match to my skin tone but can be compensated with powder.

on 11/26/2015 1:23:00 PM

LOVE LOVE LOVE! Covers so well, feels Amazing, blends incredibly and is a great primer but with coverage! Wear alone or for a full coverage look with foundation or powder. Also has a beautiful matte finish which I love because I am oily proned.

on 10/26/2015 11:10:00 PM

What a disappointment this product is. I seem to be in the small minority of people for whom it transforms skin into an oil slick within minutes. My skin is not usually all that oily. As soon as I put this onto my skin (only a small amount), it feels as though my skin is suffocating. It's a sort of 'smothered' feeling. Perhaps this is what causes my skin to freak out and start producing a crazy amount of oil? Within about one hour of having foundation on over this primer, the foundation starts to get patchy and separate. If I touch my face, I come away with greasy, makeupy fingers. Really terrible stuff, and so expensive. I had the same experience with Tarte Amazonian Clay Primer...maybe Tarte products and my skin just don't get along!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is my base of choice this past summer. The shade Light worked with my summer tanned NC 35 skin and it was such a comfortable and easy base to wear. I initially looked into finding a cheaper alternative with the same first two ingredients in the Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer, Cyclopentasiloxane and Isododecane, which was a combination that was difficult to find. I stumbled upon this BB cream from Tarte, which not only contained the initial ingredients but also felt very similar to the texture of the Hourglass primer, perhaps the Tarte is more mousse-y in consistency.

Colour wise, I think I was lucky: the shade Light is actually more of a traditional medium shade with a orange lean, which matched my tan. Coverage was in between a light to medium, more on the medium end, not buildable - it did a great job of evening my skin tone but I wouldn't rely on it for a flawless canvas. I was certain when researching this product, it does contain SPF ingredients, but for whatever reason, I can't find this info on the bottle or packaging itself; either way, I don't trust it for flash photography.

I rub in a pea size amount with fingers, focusing on the center of my face where I get the oiliest, have the biggest pores, and most redness to cover up. It does a decent job of countering all three skin issues I have that I do not use another foundation over it, just dabs of concealer where I have stubborn imperfections. I use a light dusting of powder to set and this will last me for a good 6 hours before I need to blot.

Lastly, I recommend getting the travel size of this BB cream from Sephora; in Canada, a full size is 1 oz for $43 CDN, while the travel size is 0.5 oz for $17 CDN.