Tarte BB tinted treatment 12-hour primer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 sunscreen

Filtered by skin type : Normal
Tarte BB tinted treatment 12-hour primer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 sunscreen

3.9

Sunscreen ingredients: titanium dioxide 4.55%, zinc oxide 3.50% -Titanium Dioxide -Zinc Oxide Other ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Isododecane, Polysilicone-11, Mica, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Hexyl Laurate, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Stearic Acid, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Alumina, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Dipalmitoyl Hydroxyproline, Diamond Powder, Iron Oxides.

on 2/26/2017 10:34:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this after seeing rave reviews by vloggers, but I have to say that it's not amazing. I had been using the Face Shop Matte BB Cushion as everyday go-to coverage, but found that it took too long to apply, so was on the lookout for tinted moisturiser you could apply quickly with your fingers and be done. The first problem was that the seal on the thing isn't actually glued on, so it moves easily and the cream just drips everywhere. When I opened it at home I thought it had been used. So I took it all the way back to Sephora, and the shop assistant opened up all the other tubes and found the same thing had happened. Annoying, but who cares, as long as the cream itself is as good as they say?

Well...the cream claims to be hydrating, and so in theory you could use it without having to apply moisturiser first. I was completely wrong on that front. With the bb cream on without moisturiser, the drier parts of my face were flaking, and the non-dry parts looked powdery. With the exception of areas around my nose, my skin isn't particularly dry at all, but the hydration in this cream just wasn't enough. You would definitely need to use a separate moisturiser underneath this unless you have super oily skin. This is more of an After-Moisturiser Tinted...Something. Tarte calls it a "treatment", so I guess technically speaking, the labelling isn't misleading.

The finish is described as natural-looking by a lot of vloggers, but I found that it was cakey and powdery in places, making it seem like I had powdered my face instead of using a cream. I also missed the slightly dewy, glowing look of my Face Shop BB Cushion - there isn't any glow to be found with this cream, just a flat...and need I say it again, powdery look.

The cream retails for $46 here in Sephora Australia, which is definitely overpriced for something that does a decent job but lacks any outstanding qualities that would compel you to buy it instead of paying the same amount for a bb cushion or cream with a better finish.

I imagine it will look less powdery with a layer of moisturiser underneath it, so I'll be applying moisturiser, waiting for it to sink in, and then layering on this bb cream - the same process I go through with the BB cushion, and my Missha bb cream, so really, getting this defeated my original purpose. Oh well, if I ever graduate from bb creams to foundation then this could be a good primer, and it could give me more coverage under my bb cushion, so I guess it hasn't been a complete waste of time.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I wrote an earlier review of this but trashed it because it didn't feel relevant anymore. It occurred to me that over the past three or four years, Ive tried umpteen numbers of foundation primers.

High end, low end, you name it.

Incomplete list, sort of in order of how I remember purchase order (and definitely forgetting some):

-SmashBox Photo Finish (Iconic version)
-SmashBox Photo Finish (Hydrating blue version)
-SmashBox Photo Finish (Color correcting version in green)
-Glo Minerals Primer (basically a dupe for SmashBox)
-LOreal Magic Perfecting Base
-Laura Mercier Moisturizing Primer (if theres more than one version, no idea which one)
-Givenchy Mister Smooth
-Revlon Healthy Skin Primer
-Monistat Chafing Relief Powder Gel
-Hourglass Mineral Veil
-E.L.F. Mineral Infused Face Primer
-Tarte Timeless Smoothing Primer
-Dr. Jart BB Cream (not a primer per se but throwing that one in here)
-Benefits POREFessional
-TheBalm Time Balm
-Too Faced Primed and Poreless
-NYX Pore Filler
-Revlon Photoready Prime and Anti-Shine Balm
-Rimmel Fix and Perfect Pro Primer 002
-MAC moisturizing primer (not sure of official name sampled only)
-Tarte BB Tinted Treatment 12-Hour Primer (THIS STUFF!)

If thats not a lot of primers, I dont know what is!

In any case, I feel like I have a pretty good sense of the options out there. My skin type is basically pretty normal (not perfect, but its neither especially dry nor oily and I dont have combination skin either). It has a tendency to become dehydrated (which I've found is best tackled with moisturizer and not say, a moisturizing primer) and I have a pinch of rosacea, but that doesnt really affect me in any significant way other than I have pink-undertones.

Foundation primers are kind of a weird product category for me because theyre basically not at all essential on one level, and yet I dont really feel properly put together without one (not super fussy in general though). Also, most of them dont really do all that much, but they do enough that apparently I see the value in using one, while not being utterly thrilled with any one particular one.

I still dont have a holy grail in this category, but the Tarte BB Tinted Primer is about the best Ive used at this point and may yet achieve that status. Ive been using it for about two or three weeks now and am pretty delighted with it. It promises to do a lot and it actually fulfills those promises...for me.

PROS:

-Provides light tinted coverage (the BB cream part) and for many people, it's enough coverage, although I prefer to use it under foundation.
-Mattifying (good for countering the shine of my high-SPF sunscreen)
-Blurs imperfections and pores.
-Has built-in 30 SPF, although its highly unlikely that you'll use enough product to go without a standalone sunscreen its just extra insurance.
-Makes my skin feel soft and smooth.
-Seems to extend the longevity of my makeup, although this is always the hardest thing to evaluate objectively.
-Bulletproof to apply (just need a pea-sized dollop and it's easily applied by hand) and an all-around pleasure to use.
-Mutes (but doesnt altogether diminish) the natural pink-tones in my skin.
-Works great under all of the foundations Ive tried so far.

Cons:

-There are only five shades. However, it's a fairly translucent product so I don't know how much of an issue that is, especially for people with fairer or darker skin than mine (I'm definitely on the very fair side and the lightest shade works well for me).
-It does a lot of things well (especially for my skin type) but may not do certain things *well enough* for skin types that need more of...something...from their primer.

Highly recommend at least trying a sample (it's carried at Sephora and they can make one for you if you ask). That's how I ended up loving it and purchasing a full-sized version.

FYI, I came across it in the first place by plugging in the ingredients for Hourglass Mineral Veil into Google to see if it would come up with a dupe. This isn't a dupe, strictly-speaking, but they do have similar ingredients. I like this stuff MUCH better and it's also a better value, ounce-for-ounce. Not cheap though.

on 5/4/2015 3:13:00 AM

I really like this, i love the spf factor and I like that the coverage is nice but light and blurs imperfections like a primer and keeps blush on nice

I feel like a lot of people really dislike this product but it is my ABSOLUTE HOLY GRAIL! It gives light coverage but does really well at evening skin tone and covering redness. The consistency is like that of a primer as it has own built in. If you like Benefits Porefessional I think you would like this aswell. This does need to be set but when used with a powder it lasts ALL DAY.
Not to mention since I have the fairest skin ever, and I mean fair, this matches perfectly! It blends to perfection! Doesn't oxidize at all!
I recommend using this with a beauty blender or a rounded dense brush.
LOVE IT!

I've read lots of good reviews before buying this product in fair shade. When I've tested it on my wrist and a part of my face in store, it felt and looked very nice and smooth. My skin is quite dry and I can tell, that this product does not suit dry skin well. I like to wear bb or cc creams alone, not applying moisturizer or bearing just a little. With this product you definitely need to apply lots. alone it feels dry and somewhat chalky, and it really emphasises dry patches. My skin is fair (with slight "seasonal" tan). Blonde hair. So, I've noticed that this product has a yellowish tint to it. It sort of washes my look away (comparing to other bb creams in the same lightest shade). Makes me look unhealthy. Another problem I've noticed is that it has the same effect as some of hd setting powder have. Beware when you have your picture taken with flash, it really brightens you up, making you look like a ghost. And god help you, if the application is uneven! will make your look a total disaster on the picture, showing white patches on your face. I wonder if it's only the problem for a fair shade.
I kinda stopped using it, or using it's a bit to achieve matt look (it's very matt). I'll try to use it again when I'll need lightweight bb cream for hot days, just to see if it might still somehow work for me and not to be complete waste of money.

on 3/12/2015 3:35:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I am on the fence with that product, it cvers nicely, but there is lots of silicone in it, making the application slippery, feels like it is sitting on top of my skin..I had a mini size, but won't purchase the bigger one..it feels nice and the spf is great, but not crazy about the texture..coverage though is nice...

on 11/15/2014 10:29:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I am so, so impressed with this product! It gives me perfect, dewy, youthful skin all day long. It is very smooth and moisturizing. I apply it over jojoba oil for even more hydration, and it stays put all day long - and I don't use powder, so that's saying something!

I love the fact that they combined a BB cream, primer and sunscreen into one product - it really saves a lot of time! I also like the fact that they used mineral sunscreens, since the chemical ones really irritate my eyes. I really appreciate that it is SPF 30, and not a token addition of SPF 15 or less like so many other products.

I know this is meant to be used as a primer, but for me it has completely removed the need for foundation since it makes my skin look so perfect. I just apply concealer over it where needed. Foundation often gives me a dry, weathered and tired look toward the end of the day, but I swear this product removes 10 years from my face and still looks just as good 16 hours in!

EDIT: I don't know why they priced it this way, but Sephora sells 0.5 oz tubes for $10 and 1 oz tubes for $35. This makes no sense to me - shouldn't you get a better deal if you buy a larger amount, not a worse deal? Anyway, I bought two of the 0.5 oz tubes and saved $15. The only thing is that the 0.5 oz tubes only come in light and medium. However, the colors blend so nicely that there is little difference between them once they're applied to your skin. I am closer to fair but bought the light, and can't tell much difference. (I initially got this as a 4-shade sample.)

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Got this as a sample when it first came out around my birthday at Sephora, first BB cream I had tried and really liked it. Over a year later I started working at ULTA, and said hey why not I know I like it! And I purchased the full size. From then on, I HATED IT. I have normal to dry, sensitive skin. Because it's made with Amazonian clay (all of tartes products are) the consistency is very dry feeling and thick. I would apply with my fingers to exfoliated, clean, moisturized skin, and the product would cling to dry patches I couldn't even see on my face before I put it on! It made my skin look the driest it's ever been and the color was a tad too light so it made my fair skin looked washed out. I returned it right away, and I don't recommend it for anybody.

on 3/22/2014 11:38:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

This stuff is pretty good, but it really shines up on me as the day wears on and I do not have oily skin. It has light-medium coverage on me. I really dislike the extremely small lid that it has, makes it a real PITA in the medicine cabinet; its always tipping over.

This is far better than the Dior BB cremes that I've tried lately, especially considering its price.

on 2/1/2014 1:26:00 AM

I was on the hunt for a long lasting foundation or bb/cc cream that provides a light to medium coverage. I also have some large pores on my nose that I am pretty self conscious about and was looking for something to cover them up. I went to Ulta without any make up on one night to try on some foundations/creams. Oddly enough I went to Tarte section first because I had heard good things about their foundation. I saw the BB cream and liked how it said it was 12 hour wear and had a primer in it that would minimize the appearance of pores, and also that it had 30 SPF because I am a bit lazy when it comes to applying sunscreens. No one at Ulta was there to help me try on foundations/creams so I brought the BB cream in "fair" over to a mirror and put it on my nose, my biggest problem area. I was seriously amazed how instantly the BB cream covered up my large pores, I swear I did a double take when applied it to make sure I was really seeing what I thought I was. I have tried other pore minimizers (benefit, MAC, urban decay without much luck) I also really liked how soft and smooth the cream went on and blended in. I only tested a few areas on my face before I knew I had to buy it. The fair color matched me perfectly without making me look too pale and lifeless. I have been using this BB cream since (about a week) and am happy with the results. I now no longer have to apply a primer and then a foundation as this works great as both, but if you wanted a full heavy coverage you could use this as a primer and then apply a foundation over. Just on its own I find this to have a good medium coverage, actually much more than I thought it would be. It evens out my skin and covers most of my freckles without looking like I am wearing tons of make up. I do use a moisturizer underneath this BB cream because my face tends to be more on the dry side although oily in my t zone too but that is fine with me and totally expected. I also apply a pressed powder over to set it, which I just do out of habit and it gives me a natural matte look. This BB cream does stay put on my face pretty good throughout the day, it doesn't melt off like the previous MAC foundations I was trying to wear. I will get a tinsy bit shiny on my nose and then can see my pores slightly because of so after a 5+ hours of wear but its definitely better than anything else I have tried thus far. I am still happy with it and am looking to try some other Tarte products. :)