Tarte BB tinted treatment 12-hour primer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 sunscreen

Tarte BB tinted treatment 12-hour primer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 sunscreen

3.9

Sunscreen ingredients: titanium dioxide 4.55%, zinc oxide 3.50% -Titanium Dioxide -Zinc Oxide Other ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Isododecane, Polysilicone-11, Mica, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Hexyl Laurate, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Stearic Acid, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Alumina, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Dipalmitoyl Hydroxyproline, Diamond Powder, Iron Oxides.

I've had this stuff for about a week now, and here are my observations:
If you have dry skin with little to no problems with foundation staying on, you're probably not going to need/like this. If you have oily skin, this stuff could change your life. It has for sure changed mine.

I think I can speak for both skin types pretty well. I have a pretty oily t-zone that needs blotting/powdering at least once with Colorstay, colorstay whipped, almay tlc, covergirl outlast 3-in-1, MUFE hd, Laura Mercier, Kat Von D, etc. All of those foundations are great but my oil will still surface around one o'clock. (I am a long-wearing foundation junkie).

In stark contrast, my cheeks are ruddy and usually extremely dry. I must use completely different products on different areas of my face (sigh). I bought this because it sounded like exactly what I wanted: sheer coverage, long-wearing, with built in sunscreen and primer. However, I have learned to only put this where I get oily. I think even with normal skin, you must put on a pretty decent moisturizer. That being said, on my oily parts, this stuff is absolutely incredible.

All in all, if you are not oily, this is probably not the best BB treatment to spend your money on. It claims to be a moisturizer as well but trust me, it is not. If you are oily, this stuff will probably be your best friend.
Quickly about the colors: I am very fair and so I chose the color fair (shocker). But next time I get this I will get light, which is probably more for the NW20 and on, but it is sheer enough that I think it will just give a nice hint of color because I do get quite tan in the summer months. I don't think I will repurchase fair beyond this anyway because it is just a base, and a sheer one at that. Fair would be perfect for an NW10 probably, but I'm not that light either. The shades do run a bit dark, but I think they would work well with lots of different undertones because the shades are very forgiving.

This stuff has simplified my makeup routine. I kept buying all of these full coverage foundations because of lasting problems with my oily skin, but I didn't really need the coverage. Everything just felt so heavy. Now I have this, which just allows me to pop on a bit of concealer, set it with a little powder, and not worry about anything sliding off. The only reason this is getting a 4 is because it sticks to dry spots and makes them look worse. But, like I said, I've found a way around that.

Alright, enough rambling. Great product!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I wrote an earlier review of this but trashed it because it didn't feel relevant anymore. It occurred to me that over the past three or four years, Ive tried umpteen numbers of foundation primers.

High end, low end, you name it.

Incomplete list, sort of in order of how I remember purchase order (and definitely forgetting some):

-SmashBox Photo Finish (Iconic version)
-SmashBox Photo Finish (Hydrating blue version)
-SmashBox Photo Finish (Color correcting version in green)
-Glo Minerals Primer (basically a dupe for SmashBox)
-LOreal Magic Perfecting Base
-Laura Mercier Moisturizing Primer (if theres more than one version, no idea which one)
-Givenchy Mister Smooth
-Revlon Healthy Skin Primer
-Monistat Chafing Relief Powder Gel
-Hourglass Mineral Veil
-E.L.F. Mineral Infused Face Primer
-Tarte Timeless Smoothing Primer
-Dr. Jart BB Cream (not a primer per se but throwing that one in here)
-Benefits POREFessional
-TheBalm Time Balm
-Too Faced Primed and Poreless
-NYX Pore Filler
-Revlon Photoready Prime and Anti-Shine Balm
-Rimmel Fix and Perfect Pro Primer 002
-MAC moisturizing primer (not sure of official name sampled only)
-Tarte BB Tinted Treatment 12-Hour Primer (THIS STUFF!)

If thats not a lot of primers, I dont know what is!

In any case, I feel like I have a pretty good sense of the options out there. My skin type is basically pretty normal (not perfect, but its neither especially dry nor oily and I dont have combination skin either). It has a tendency to become dehydrated (which I've found is best tackled with moisturizer and not say, a moisturizing primer) and I have a pinch of rosacea, but that doesnt really affect me in any significant way other than I have pink-undertones.

Foundation primers are kind of a weird product category for me because theyre basically not at all essential on one level, and yet I dont really feel properly put together without one (not super fussy in general though). Also, most of them dont really do all that much, but they do enough that apparently I see the value in using one, while not being utterly thrilled with any one particular one.

I still dont have a holy grail in this category, but the Tarte BB Tinted Primer is about the best Ive used at this point and may yet achieve that status. Ive been using it for about two or three weeks now and am pretty delighted with it. It promises to do a lot and it actually fulfills those promises...for me.

PROS:

-Provides light tinted coverage (the BB cream part) and for many people, it's enough coverage, although I prefer to use it under foundation.
-Mattifying (good for countering the shine of my high-SPF sunscreen)
-Blurs imperfections and pores.
-Has built-in 30 SPF, although its highly unlikely that you'll use enough product to go without a standalone sunscreen its just extra insurance.
-Makes my skin feel soft and smooth.
-Seems to extend the longevity of my makeup, although this is always the hardest thing to evaluate objectively.
-Bulletproof to apply (just need a pea-sized dollop and it's easily applied by hand) and an all-around pleasure to use.
-Mutes (but doesnt altogether diminish) the natural pink-tones in my skin.
-Works great under all of the foundations Ive tried so far.

Cons:

-There are only five shades. However, it's a fairly translucent product so I don't know how much of an issue that is, especially for people with fairer or darker skin than mine (I'm definitely on the very fair side and the lightest shade works well for me).
-It does a lot of things well (especially for my skin type) but may not do certain things *well enough* for skin types that need more of...something...from their primer.

Highly recommend at least trying a sample (it's carried at Sephora and they can make one for you if you ask). That's how I ended up loving it and purchasing a full-sized version.

FYI, I came across it in the first place by plugging in the ingredients for Hourglass Mineral Veil into Google to see if it would come up with a dupe. This isn't a dupe, strictly-speaking, but they do have similar ingredients. I like this stuff MUCH better and it's also a better value, ounce-for-ounce. Not cheap though.

on 1/18/2013 10:08:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I have tried several drug store brand BB Creams and have not been impressed. That being said, Tarte's BB Cream is phenomenal, if: you have oily skin, need moderate coverage and don't miind titanium dixoide and zinc oxide sunscreen. I normally don't like sunscreen products because I tend to be allergic. However, this sunscreen doesn't irritate my skin and more importantly, being african-american, it doesn't leave a horrible white/gray cast to my skin. Now on to the texture. It is matte. A beautiful velvet matte that wonder of wonders has oil control for at least 5 hrs ( It claims 12 hrs.). I don't know about 12 hrs but, 5 hrs! That's awesome to me. I heartily endorse it.

on 2/10/2013 7:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I didn't like this at all. Maybe if they marketed this as a mattifying primer...but not a BB cream. It dried my face like the sahara and accentuated every dry patch on my face....and my skin really isn't that dry. I don't think it spread that great and my skin just looked horrible and I used smaller then a pea-size amount. I just think if it's a BB cream, I don't want to moisturize first, I want my BB cream to do that as well as the other "miraculous" stuff it's supposed to do. It's supposed to simplify my life....not make it more complicated... lol. Anyway, maybe if you have super oily skin, this stuff would be great....but not for me.

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I've been using this product since about January. One of my New Year resolutions was to improve my skin, and I figured a "healthier" make-up could help with that.

I had been eyeballing this product ever since its initial release, but the price tag and small size was off-putting. "You can get a lot more product from other companies for the same amount of money!" I thought. Yes, this is true. However, it doesn't matter if the other products are unsatisfactory. This product is truly worth the money, I'd say. Imma tell you why!

Texture: this feels slippery and silky like a primer. In fact, the packaging says you can use it as a primer...aside from special events, I think that may be overkill. I wear it alone. This great texture is wonderful at filling in the potholes--uh, I mean pores--on my face. Does it completely smooth them out to Photoshop perfection? No, let's be realistic. Besides, that would look freaky. What it does do is make my face look like it has normal-sized pores, which is a huge win for me. I've had other products achieve this, but they broke me out (filled in my pores too well, I suppose!). The texture blends out evenly and easily without streakiness.

Coverage: this is light-medium coverage. It's pretty good at covering up my blotchiness that occurs due to nerves and heat. Unless it's that time of the month and I have a big honkin' hormonal zit, I generally don't feel the need to use concealer. Despite this decent coverage, it doesn't feel like anything is on my face. Not only is it weightless, but my skin feels like it can breath. Once set with powder, I don't have much issue with transferring, either.

Benefits: Okay, here's what really sealed the deal for me! It has SPF30, which is one of the higher SPFs you see in make-up. I prefer an SPF in my make-up, since many standalone face sunscreens burn my face (Why? I don't know, I assume it's an inactive ingredient they feature). This doesn't sting. Another goodie: the longer I used this (as in, about a month into using it), my face looked better. Less blotchiness, fewer bumps (not acne, just little bumps I previously would get), and less acne. I'm not sure if the "treatment" effects it claims were at play, or if previous products I used were just that irritating to my skin, but either way I was HAPPY. Another happy point: it's pretty good at controlling the oily mess that my face typically is, without the smothering feeling of most oil-control products.

The last time a make-up really helped improve my skin was when I switched to Bare Minerals Matte (I just got over the extreme-o mess that stuff made). Where before I was constantly trying new foundations, I have no desire to do so now. It's a keeper!!

on 4/29/2014 1:41:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

So I bought this BB crean on a whim on my last trip to Sephora a little over a month ago. I don't usually buy anything without throughly researching first but I was feeling spontaneous and I'm so glad I ended up buying it!

This BB primer has a really soft, silky feel when applying that I really like. I usually put a small blob on the back of my hand so the warmth of my skin can help warm it up, I then dot it all over my face and use a damp beauty blender sponge to blend it in. The damp BB sponge sheers it out a little which is sometimes what I want but I do occasionally apply it by stippling with my fingers if I want more coverage. It really has amazing coverage for a BB cream in my opinion, I can almost wear out with just concealer. I would say it is almost like a light weight foundation in terms of coverage and it is definitely buildable, though I wouldn't try to put it past two layers. I have found that it can be drying if you have really dry skin or flaky healing blemishes but as long as your properly exfoliate, tone, and use a good moisturizer prior to application, it's fine. It is quite long lasting, it does become slightly dewy on my combo skin midway through the day but it just looks even more natural and not at all gross or greasy.

I sometimes use it under my foundation but I have found that it does not play well with Laura Mercier Silk Creme or it's cousin Tarte's 12hr Amazonian Clay foundation. Both of these foundations are very similar in texture so I can understand why neither of them work with it. When worn under those foundations it tends to create blotchiness as the day wears on, at least on me, and with LMSC if you try to touch up your makeup wherever you try to blend begins to pill up and flake off. It works ok under Urban Decay Naked skin but for the most part I still prefer to use Too Faced Primed and Poreless under my foundations.

I LOVE this BB cream on it's own. It does a great job at evening out any slight variations in skin tone and really blurs my acne scarring and tones down redness, it won't cover really dark marks or scars but that's what concealer is for. I have light golden-olive skin that really likes to hold on to acne scars for dear life and Tarte's tinted BB primer really makes me feel ok about not wearing a full face of makeup to run a quick errand. It looks very natural and feels weightless, it is going to be a staple in my summer makeup bag for sure!

I bought it in Light and though it may be a little too light for me when I am very tan in the summer, it works well for my current NC20ish skin and is forgiving enough that I feel that I will be able to make it work in this shade for a while before having to buy the next darkest one, which I am afraid may not be a the best undertone match for me.

I even got my mom to try it who is in her early 50s and she has taken a liking to it as well, I just ordered one for her! She doesn't wear a lot of makeup but she has been using Bobby Brown BB cream that she said that was too drying on her skin, she feels that this is silkier and not as drying as her Bobby Brown BB.

If you are looking for a semi-matte BB cream with great coverage, give it a try!

on 5/30/2013 10:40:00 PM

I received a sample from Sephora after I ran out of the 'Smooth Operator' that is now marketed as a BB cream. The SA raved about the new BB tinted primer and suggested that I use the colour 'fair' and try it at home. I can't believe the consistency! It's like velvet and spreads like butter and you only need the tiniest amount to even out your skin. There is no chemical smell to it. The colour matches my skin perfectly (NW 15) and it feels like you wear nothing at all. It also does not oxydize. The Canadian version has the same ingredients as the US version but it doesn't claim 'Broad Spectrum' so just to be on the safe side you need to wear sunscreen under it. Remember too, that the tiny amount that you need to even out your skin would never protect you from the sun. I use the Ecotools foundation brush to blend the BB primer in and than put a little 'Dollface' blush on my cheeks and I'm ready to go. I have used it for 4 months and still have a lot left. This is the highest price I have ever paid for a BB Cream (it's really a TM) but I do not regret it and would purchase it again. I LOVE this, HG!! I previously tried Maybelline Dream Fresh which is lovely but just can't compare to this.

on 11/15/2014 10:29:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I am so, so impressed with this product! It gives me perfect, dewy, youthful skin all day long. It is very smooth and moisturizing. I apply it over jojoba oil for even more hydration, and it stays put all day long - and I don't use powder, so that's saying something!

I love the fact that they combined a BB cream, primer and sunscreen into one product - it really saves a lot of time! I also like the fact that they used mineral sunscreens, since the chemical ones really irritate my eyes. I really appreciate that it is SPF 30, and not a token addition of SPF 15 or less like so many other products.

I know this is meant to be used as a primer, but for me it has completely removed the need for foundation since it makes my skin look so perfect. I just apply concealer over it where needed. Foundation often gives me a dry, weathered and tired look toward the end of the day, but I swear this product removes 10 years from my face and still looks just as good 16 hours in!

EDIT: I don't know why they priced it this way, but Sephora sells 0.5 oz tubes for $10 and 1 oz tubes for $35. This makes no sense to me - shouldn't you get a better deal if you buy a larger amount, not a worse deal? Anyway, I bought two of the 0.5 oz tubes and saved $15. The only thing is that the 0.5 oz tubes only come in light and medium. However, the colors blend so nicely that there is little difference between them once they're applied to your skin. I am closer to fair but bought the light, and can't tell much difference. (I initially got this as a 4-shade sample.)

on 3/28/2014 4:56:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Other

I use this product in Fair and couldn't be much happier with it. I have incredibly sensitive, super pale skin. Virtually every liquid and/or cream product (primers, foundations, BB and CC creams, tinted moisturizer, etc.) out there breaks me out or leaves a rash on my face. I can only use powdered mineral foundations and even then I have to make sure to use no products that contain ingredients that I'm sensitive to. Sadly, even the best mineral foundations just don't last without a primer so I spent years searching for a BB cream or primer that I could use under my minerals. This is my HG. It doesn't irritate my skin or break me out--if anything, it seems to be improving my skin over time. It provides light coverage on its own when I apply it with my Benefit foundation brush. Once I put my minerals on top, I look airbrushed. It holds my minerals flawlessly for about 8 hours. Afterwards, I can apply a light dusting of minerals to freshen it up and it looks as good as when I first applied it in the morning. I love, love, love this stuff and will definitely keep buying it. I would recommend it to anyone who has challenging, sensitive skin.

on 4/7/2013 12:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This product is amazeballs. The milisecond I tried it out at Sephora, I knew I had to have it. Firstly, this product is not a traditional BB cream -- BB creams usually apply more like foundation and are creamier and purport to have skincare benefits. This is literally just a silicone primer with added SPF. So why is it so great? The texture! I have ginormous pores essentially all over my face from hormone issues :/ I've tried countless primers, with Clinique's pore corrector being the one I usually settle on, because it's tinted. The difference in the texture was stark when I left this Tarte primer at my hotel and had to use the Clinique the next day. The Clinique product, like a lot of unfortunate silicone primers, is less spreadable, drier, and heavier. It similarly fills in pores, but it looks obvious and emphasizes fine lines. This Tarte primer is beautifully smooth, feels light, manages to retain some moisture so your face doesn't look like a mummy, and has the perfect amount of pigment to actually even out skin tone and also work beautifully as a base for makeup. I've never purchased anything from Tarte before, but this is really a winner. Good job!