Tarte BB tinted treatment 12-hour primer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 sunscreen

Tarte BB tinted treatment 12-hour primer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 sunscreen

3.9

Sunscreen ingredients: titanium dioxide 4.55%, zinc oxide 3.50% -Titanium Dioxide -Zinc Oxide Other ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Isododecane, Polysilicone-11, Mica, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Hexyl Laurate, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Stearic Acid, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Alumina, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Dipalmitoyl Hydroxyproline, Diamond Powder, Iron Oxides.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Not quite a primer, it has tint. Not quite a BB cream, too sheer. Got this to use under my foundations lacking sunscreen and to also up the spf in those that do. If you have ever used a silicone-based primer, then you can understand what I mean when I say it spreads and feels just like a silicone based primer. If you don't, then I suggest you try to sample it and see if you'll like the feeling. Because there is no water as one of the main "base" ingredients, it spreads very silky and then sort of settles in and sets. I chose the shade "fair" and it's almost white, a tad too light for me to wear on its own, and the shade "fair" was too peachy.
It adds a little bit of radiance to an otherwise matte foundation... I have been wearing it under the tarte 12-hour full coverage foundation (rated only spf 15) and I can notice the difference as the full coverage foundation is otherwise dull, I like this combination the best. I also wear it under the tarte hybrid jel (no spf) which is primarily why I got it, but it feels a little heavy, so I don't wear it that often.
I give it one lippie off because it is so very heavy on the 'cones... if I try to apply more than a tiny amount it feels heavy and makes me itch around my nose. I'm not sure exactly how much of this I should be applying to get the SPF 30 either. I'm going to have to give it more time to make a decision on whether or not I'd repurchase it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I purchased this product on sale in the color "light". My usual shade in Tarte foundations is Light Neutral. My skin is oily, with some deep smile lines and large pores (more like craters) in my T-zone. I also have fine wrinkles on my chin and around my lips (don't smoke, kids. Seriously.).

Pros:
1) Extends the protection of my SPF 50 sunblock.

2) Blends easily into skin

3) Smooths skin fairly well.

Cons:
1) Oily skin can affect wear time.

2) Sheerer than most BB creams I have tried.

3) A Minimal range of colors

Review:
As stated above, I have active, oily skin with a lot of texture. I initially purchased this product when I was on a BB cream kick; somehow I thought my ruddy, acne-marked skin could be balanced out with these lightly colored products. I'm still trying to figure out BB creams. Do I use them like foundations, or like tinted moisturizers? Should I apply them under over my sunblock? I chose to use them over sunblock, and more like a foundation rather than a part of my skin care routine.

As a BB cream, this did not work for me. It's so sheer that when I applied it onto my florid skin it disappeared. It's so emollient that building it up just left my skin super-moist and my oily skin made it break up almost immediately. I can't get any kind of coverage from this product in order to even out my skin tone.

As a primer, however, I have decent results for a few hours. I can smooth it over my cheeks, press it into my T-zone, and apply a powder foundation or a face powder over it and I get a smooth, almost poreless look to my skin. I have to use this with an oil control primer spray and finishing spray (Skindinavia Oil Control Primer Spray and Oil Free Finishing Spray), however, to get any kind of extended wear on it. Because it's summer and wretchedly hot and humid, I get maybe two hours of coverage from this before it starts to break up on my chin and cake around my nose and in my smile lines, and settle into those fine lines (I'm serious. If you smoke, quit. Even if you vape, quit. Once those lines develop they don't go away.).

In short, if you have normal or combo skin this may work for you. With my florid, textured, oily skin, I only see this extending the protection of my sunblock and giving me minimal help as a primer. There are better products out there with lower price points. It's okay, and I'll continue using it until it's gone or it goes bad. I just won't be replacing it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Pros:
- it feels like a dream (very silicone) when I apply it to my face
- there are 4 shades (fair, light, medium, tan)
- it blends seamlessly into the skin if your skin isn't too dry (not sure how it works on oily skin)
- SPF 30

Cons:
- it directly cracks up on every single dry patch that I have and accentuate skin texture. I can seamlessly blend it on my hand, but I can't do that on my face
- once dried it looks very powdery and cakey all over the face
- coverage is minimal

Terrible product. Won't repurchase.

on 6/11/2017 9:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm not sure if this has been reformulated or not, but when I used it a few years ago I really liked it. It was easy to apply, decent coverage for a BB, and dried to a nice, matte finish. It never settled into my pores and it never oxidized. Fast forward to now...and the tube I bought recently....I hate this stuff! I swear, it's like I bought a totally different product. (I know I didn't because I actually took the old expired tube into Ulta with me for reference). It still applies easily, but it settles into all my pores now. Adding a primer underneath took care of that problem, but the primer only helped for a few hours. It started breaking up & it oxidized like crazy! I use the Light shade and it turned completely orange on me. Oompah Loompa Orange. Bottom line, I don't understand why this stuff worked so well for me in the past and does not work AT ALL for me now, but I'm seriously disappointed. It's utterly unusable for me now.

on 4/11/2017 2:54:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Fine

I don't know about this one.. it feels very silicony and has minimal coverage. I tried it on it's own w/o foundation once and it separated like crazy and looked horrible after 5h. As a primer under my foundation it smoothens my skin but doesn't make foundation last longer. I hoped I could use this on it's own in the summer for sheer coverage due to the spf30 in it but that ain't gonna happen, as a primer it's just average. I find it to be too expensive for what it is so wouldn't repurchase but I'll try to use it up anyway cause it's okay under foundation. Nothing special in my opinion.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this product, I originally thought that the CC+ by It Cosmetics was my dream foundation/base, but this BB primer is the best thing I've ever put on my face. I have very oily skin and this stuff keeps me fairly matte for a good amount of time before I get a dewy finish. I set this BB cream with the Rimmel Match Loose Powder and I am so matte which is as dream for an oily girl like myself. I love the feeling of a velvety primer and this is definitely a velvety feel all day. I love this!!! Which it had a pump in the packaging but not everything can be perfect.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

PROS:
- SPF30 sunscreen
- Can be worn alone as a tinted moisturiser
- Soes blur imperfections like age spots and discoloration
- Doesn't look like foundation
- Soft velvet matte finish
- Super light yellow based "Fair" shade for porcelain skin (NC10).
- Pairs well worn over or mixed with an oil serum (I mix mine with Red Raspberry Seed Oil as it is reputed to have SPF 28, so I don't lower the SPF)
- Unscented, Gluten-Free
- Does not irritate my sensitive skin
- Does not clog my pores much

CONS:
- Works as a tinted moisturiser but doesn't work well as a Primer. Rolls into rubbery little balls and comes off in patches when worn over any moisturiser or under any foundation I pair it with. Even if I wait 10 minutes (works with facial oil only).
- Makes my skin look as dry and cracked as a lizard. I have to blend in facial oil with it or it is unusable. I can't even use it on the backs of my hands they look so old!
- Hard to get the last 1/3, I had to cut mine open to get the last 10 days out of it :(
- Expensive, does not get included in Tarte's foundation sales
- Oversold, is not a "treatment" as labelled

on 3/9/2017 11:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I normally love all things by Tarte but I regret falling into the hype about this BB Cream. Yes it has good sun protection, a decent shade range and lovely minimalist packaging. However, for me, I find that the product sits right on top of my skin and doesn't blend well at all.Even with a Beauty Blender, it leaves streaks on my face. It feels very silicone-y and greasy and transfers onto my clothes; even when setting with a powder. At $47 CAD, I feel like the product should preform much better in terms of settling into the skin. I won't be repurchasing.

on 2/19/2017 2:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Oh my! Where has this product been all my life and why had I never heard of it? This product is amazing. It evens out my skin tone and then I just set it with a light powder and I look 90% better. On days when I want more coverage I use concealer and then this product. It does cling to dry spots so I always moisturize right before applying and this solves that problem. I have oily combination skin and sweat a lot loving in the south but this holds up all day. It is NOT full coverage but it does cover and even out your skin tone enough so it looks natural.

on 2/26/2017 10:34:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this after seeing rave reviews by vloggers, but I have to say that it's not amazing. I had been using the Face Shop Matte BB Cushion as everyday go-to coverage, but found that it took too long to apply, so was on the lookout for tinted moisturiser you could apply quickly with your fingers and be done. The first problem was that the seal on the thing isn't actually glued on, so it moves easily and the cream just drips everywhere. When I opened it at home I thought it had been used. So I took it all the way back to Sephora, and the shop assistant opened up all the other tubes and found the same thing had happened. Annoying, but who cares, as long as the cream itself is as good as they say?

Well...the cream claims to be hydrating, and so in theory you could use it without having to apply moisturiser first. I was completely wrong on that front. With the bb cream on without moisturiser, the drier parts of my face were flaking, and the non-dry parts looked powdery. With the exception of areas around my nose, my skin isn't particularly dry at all, but the hydration in this cream just wasn't enough. You would definitely need to use a separate moisturiser underneath this unless you have super oily skin. This is more of an After-Moisturiser Tinted...Something. Tarte calls it a "treatment", so I guess technically speaking, the labelling isn't misleading.

The finish is described as natural-looking by a lot of vloggers, but I found that it was cakey and powdery in places, making it seem like I had powdered my face instead of using a cream. I also missed the slightly dewy, glowing look of my Face Shop BB Cushion - there isn't any glow to be found with this cream, just a flat...and need I say it again, powdery look.

The cream retails for $46 here in Sephora Australia, which is definitely overpriced for something that does a decent job but lacks any outstanding qualities that would compel you to buy it instead of paying the same amount for a bb cushion or cream with a better finish.

I imagine it will look less powdery with a layer of moisturiser underneath it, so I'll be applying moisturiser, waiting for it to sink in, and then layering on this bb cream - the same process I go through with the BB cushion, and my Missha bb cream, so really, getting this defeated my original purpose. Oh well, if I ever graduate from bb creams to foundation then this could be a good primer, and it could give me more coverage under my bb cushion, so I guess it hasn't been a complete waste of time.