Tarte BB tinted treatment 12-hour primer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 sunscreen

Filtered by age: 36-43
Tarte BB tinted treatment 12-hour primer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 sunscreen

3.1

Sunscreen ingredients: titanium dioxide 4.55%, zinc oxide 3.50% -Titanium Dioxide -Zinc Oxide Other ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Isododecane, Polysilicone-11, Mica, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Hexyl Laurate, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Stearic Acid, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Alumina, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Dipalmitoyl Hydroxyproline, Diamond Powder, Iron Oxides.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I purchased this product on sale in the color "light". My usual shade in Tarte foundations is Light Neutral. My skin is oily, with some deep smile lines and large pores (more like craters) in my T-zone. I also have fine wrinkles on my chin and around my lips (don't smoke, kids. Seriously.).

Pros:
1) Extends the protection of my SPF 50 sunblock.

2) Blends easily into skin

3) Smooths skin fairly well.

Cons:
1) Oily skin can affect wear time.

2) Sheerer than most BB creams I have tried.

3) A Minimal range of colors

Review:
As stated above, I have active, oily skin with a lot of texture. I initially purchased this product when I was on a BB cream kick; somehow I thought my ruddy, acne-marked skin could be balanced out with these lightly colored products. I'm still trying to figure out BB creams. Do I use them like foundations, or like tinted moisturizers? Should I apply them under over my sunblock? I chose to use them over sunblock, and more like a foundation rather than a part of my skin care routine.

As a BB cream, this did not work for me. It's so sheer that when I applied it onto my florid skin it disappeared. It's so emollient that building it up just left my skin super-moist and my oily skin made it break up almost immediately. I can't get any kind of coverage from this product in order to even out my skin tone.

As a primer, however, I have decent results for a few hours. I can smooth it over my cheeks, press it into my T-zone, and apply a powder foundation or a face powder over it and I get a smooth, almost poreless look to my skin. I have to use this with an oil control primer spray and finishing spray (Skindinavia Oil Control Primer Spray and Oil Free Finishing Spray), however, to get any kind of extended wear on it. Because it's summer and wretchedly hot and humid, I get maybe two hours of coverage from this before it starts to break up on my chin and cake around my nose and in my smile lines, and settle into those fine lines (I'm serious. If you smoke, quit. Even if you vape, quit. Once those lines develop they don't go away.).

In short, if you have normal or combo skin this may work for you. With my florid, textured, oily skin, I only see this extending the protection of my sunblock and giving me minimal help as a primer. There are better products out there with lower price points. It's okay, and I'll continue using it until it's gone or it goes bad. I just won't be replacing it.

on 6/11/2017 9:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm not sure if this has been reformulated or not, but when I used it a few years ago I really liked it. It was easy to apply, decent coverage for a BB, and dried to a nice, matte finish. It never settled into my pores and it never oxidized. Fast forward to now...and the tube I bought recently....I hate this stuff! I swear, it's like I bought a totally different product. (I know I didn't because I actually took the old expired tube into Ulta with me for reference). It still applies easily, but it settles into all my pores now. Adding a primer underneath took care of that problem, but the primer only helped for a few hours. It started breaking up & it oxidized like crazy! I use the Light shade and it turned completely orange on me. Oompah Loompa Orange. Bottom line, I don't understand why this stuff worked so well for me in the past and does not work AT ALL for me now, but I'm seriously disappointed. It's utterly unusable for me now.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Pros:
- it feels like a dream (very silicone) when I apply it to my face
- there are 4 shades (fair, light, medium, tan)
- it blends seamlessly into the skin if your skin isn't too dry (not sure how it works on oily skin)
- SPF 30

Cons:
- it directly cracks up on every single dry patch that I have and accentuate skin texture. I can seamlessly blend it on my hand, but I can't do that on my face
- once dried it looks very powdery and cakey all over the face
- coverage is minimal

Terrible product. Won't repurchase.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

PROS:
- SPF30 sunscreen
- Can be worn alone as a tinted moisturiser
- Soes blur imperfections like age spots and discoloration
- Doesn't look like foundation
- Soft velvet matte finish
- Super light yellow based "Fair" shade for porcelain skin (NC10).
- Pairs well worn over or mixed with an oil serum (I mix mine with Red Raspberry Seed Oil as it is reputed to have SPF 28, so I don't lower the SPF)
- Unscented, Gluten-Free
- Does not irritate my sensitive skin
- Does not clog my pores much

CONS:
- Works as a tinted moisturiser but doesn't work well as a Primer. Rolls into rubbery little balls and comes off in patches when worn over any moisturiser or under any foundation I pair it with. Even if I wait 10 minutes (works with facial oil only).
- Makes my skin look as dry and cracked as a lizard. I have to blend in facial oil with it or it is unusable. I can't even use it on the backs of my hands they look so old!
- Hard to get the last 1/3, I had to cut mine open to get the last 10 days out of it :(
- Expensive, does not get included in Tarte's foundation sales
- Oversold, is not a "treatment" as labelled

on 3/5/2016 12:27:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This is a surprise. I wasn't expecting this to work but it did.

I saw the mini version in Sephora and decided to buy to try it out. I bought the light shade which was the closest to my skin tone.

The first time I use it, I applied it with my fingers. Worked but I found the layer too thick. Second time I tried, I applied it with my Beautyblender. Surprisingly, it didn't spread as well. In fact, quite a bit of product was soaked up by my Beautyblender, so I had to use more. The third time, I used my RT Expert Face Brush to buff in the initial layer. It blended really well and I was able to add another layer for more coverage with the same brush. Then, depending on how much coverage I need on that day, I used my Beautyblender (normal and micro-sized) to 'bounce' in more product on the spots that need more coverage, namely the blemishes, visible pores and fine lines and around the eyes. Lastly, I set it with my EM's finishing dust.

This is a highly pigmented primer with a foundation-like coverage, which saves me a lot of time. Especially on days I'm in a rush or when I'm feeling lazy but still need to even out my skin or need the level of coverage afforded by foundations. It's long-wearing and waterproof, but doesn't break me out. It's also not as pricey as some of the other Tarte's primers and foundations.

I suppose this may become one of my staple products because not only it works, it's rather convenient to use.

on 2/7/2016 9:19:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Love this product. It does have to adjust to your skin but it's fantastic. Coverage is awesome for a primer

on 11/28/2015 5:33:00 PM

Sephora had a travel size so I figured I would try it. My skin is pretty good so I wear it alone and sometimes I wear bare minerals over it. The coverage is good if you have good skin but their aren't a wide variety of colors and although the medium blends into my skin I had a sample of the med-tan and felt it gave me a bit more color,the medium was a tad too light. I do like the texture though and like that I can wear it alone

on 6/17/2015 12:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This is my favorite BB/foundation product that I have ever had. I wish that it lasted a little longer but overall I really like it.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I wrote an earlier review of this but trashed it because it didn't feel relevant anymore. It occurred to me that over the past three or four years, Ive tried umpteen numbers of foundation primers.

High end, low end, you name it.

Incomplete list, sort of in order of how I remember purchase order (and definitely forgetting some):

-SmashBox Photo Finish (Iconic version)
-SmashBox Photo Finish (Hydrating blue version)
-SmashBox Photo Finish (Color correcting version in green)
-Glo Minerals Primer (basically a dupe for SmashBox)
-LOreal Magic Perfecting Base
-Laura Mercier Moisturizing Primer (if theres more than one version, no idea which one)
-Givenchy Mister Smooth
-Revlon Healthy Skin Primer
-Monistat Chafing Relief Powder Gel
-Hourglass Mineral Veil
-E.L.F. Mineral Infused Face Primer
-Tarte Timeless Smoothing Primer
-Dr. Jart BB Cream (not a primer per se but throwing that one in here)
-Benefits POREFessional
-TheBalm Time Balm
-Too Faced Primed and Poreless
-NYX Pore Filler
-Revlon Photoready Prime and Anti-Shine Balm
-Rimmel Fix and Perfect Pro Primer 002
-MAC moisturizing primer (not sure of official name sampled only)
-Tarte BB Tinted Treatment 12-Hour Primer (THIS STUFF!)

If thats not a lot of primers, I dont know what is!

In any case, I feel like I have a pretty good sense of the options out there. My skin type is basically pretty normal (not perfect, but its neither especially dry nor oily and I dont have combination skin either). It has a tendency to become dehydrated (which I've found is best tackled with moisturizer and not say, a moisturizing primer) and I have a pinch of rosacea, but that doesnt really affect me in any significant way other than I have pink-undertones.

Foundation primers are kind of a weird product category for me because theyre basically not at all essential on one level, and yet I dont really feel properly put together without one (not super fussy in general though). Also, most of them dont really do all that much, but they do enough that apparently I see the value in using one, while not being utterly thrilled with any one particular one.

I still dont have a holy grail in this category, but the Tarte BB Tinted Primer is about the best Ive used at this point and may yet achieve that status. Ive been using it for about two or three weeks now and am pretty delighted with it. It promises to do a lot and it actually fulfills those promises...for me.

PROS:

-Provides light tinted coverage (the BB cream part) and for many people, it's enough coverage, although I prefer to use it under foundation.
-Mattifying (good for countering the shine of my high-SPF sunscreen)
-Blurs imperfections and pores.
-Has built-in 30 SPF, although its highly unlikely that you'll use enough product to go without a standalone sunscreen its just extra insurance.
-Makes my skin feel soft and smooth.
-Seems to extend the longevity of my makeup, although this is always the hardest thing to evaluate objectively.
-Bulletproof to apply (just need a pea-sized dollop and it's easily applied by hand) and an all-around pleasure to use.
-Mutes (but doesnt altogether diminish) the natural pink-tones in my skin.
-Works great under all of the foundations Ive tried so far.

Cons:

-There are only five shades. However, it's a fairly translucent product so I don't know how much of an issue that is, especially for people with fairer or darker skin than mine (I'm definitely on the very fair side and the lightest shade works well for me).
-It does a lot of things well (especially for my skin type) but may not do certain things *well enough* for skin types that need more of...something...from their primer.

Highly recommend at least trying a sample (it's carried at Sephora and they can make one for you if you ask). That's how I ended up loving it and purchasing a full-sized version.

FYI, I came across it in the first place by plugging in the ingredients for Hourglass Mineral Veil into Google to see if it would come up with a dupe. This isn't a dupe, strictly-speaking, but they do have similar ingredients. I like this stuff MUCH better and it's also a better value, ounce-for-ounce. Not cheap though.

on 3/18/2015 12:53:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

EEEW!!!!! This stuff SUX!

This felt so great when I tried it on my hands...then I put it on my face and... it highlighted every pore and clung mercilessly to my dry patches.

This is in no way formulated for those with dry skin. Run far away from this product, its terrible.