Tatcha Skincare Sample Set

Tatcha Skincare Sample Set

3.0

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I wanted to try the indigo sample, so I'm happy I didn't indulge and but the whole set at first. The only product I throughly enjoyed (and felt like it was the best out of all the samples) was the Camellia Oil. Hands down a great product and it smells like Christmas. Lol. The serum broke me out with milia all over my lower chin and I have not been able to get rid of them... I have even gone to an aesthetician to get them extracted and I still have them.. I knew it was the serum because I gradually introduced these products into my skin care routine, starting from using the Camelia Oil, every 2 weeks just to make sure my skin wouldn't break out. I have extremely sensitive skin. The serum was the last thing I added... about a week into use I noticed my face was really textured and then BOOM whiteheads alllllll over my chin area and around my mouth.
Besides the Camelia Oil, everything else was just meh. I could find cheaper products for better results. Moral of this review/rant is to stay away from the serum if you have sensitive/combo/oily skin.

on 4/10/2016 10:39:00 AM

I was very disappointed in the reviews that I saw on this site for the Tatcha product line. I am in my late 50's with very sensitive skin and I can attest to the fact that I have tried just about every product line out there; everything from drug store brands to Clinique and Rodam Fields. Everything burned my skin; red raised burning rashes. I had gotten to the point that I was using mild soap and water on my face. When a friend introduced me to Tatcha I decided to give it a try. I selected the "sensitive" line of the discovery kit. The products that others discribed (i.e. Brightening serum) are NOT in the sensitive kit. This is the first product line that I have ever tried that did not burn my skin. My face looks younger, fresh and radiant. So much so that most of my co- workers have asked what I'm doing differently. So to those of you who have said that it burnt your skin I can offer two possibilities to you; either you didn't select the correct product line for your skin or the realization that no skin care line works for everyone. That's why there are so many brands on the market. I have friends and family that are in love with certain product lines and yet when I tried them my skin was angry and sore. With the Tatcha products I look better than I have in years!!! Beautiful packaging ( although what's in the bottle is what matter), nicely scented & silky smoothness.

on 2/26/2015 11:38:00 AM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

I bought and returned this set after test driving the products for a week. Initially, I was excited to use this set because the cleansers seemed promising. I enjoyed the rice powder and the camellia cleansing oil (see my individual reviews for those items). But then I tried the serum which was mediocre and I really hated the moisturizer. My skin started to get irritated but I continued to use the camellia cleansing oil, because it seemed the least harsh/offensive of the four products, and I actually really enjoyed the scent and feel of the oil. However, both the serum and cream contain alcohol, which I think may have been irritating my skin.

Since then, I've tried samples of other Tatcha products (the hydrating serum) and found them to be mediocre as well. This set is a good introduction to the line, but I did not like Tatcha skincare at all and am partial to the cleansers, so I returned it. Fortunately, if you buy directly from Tatcha's website they have a very good return policy.

When opening the caps on the serum and cleansing oil, be careful of the edge on the metal cap. Otherwise, the packaging on these items felt well-made.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I really, really, really wanted to love this product. It seems like the perfect new routine to end all dull routines with all its beautiful and exotic secrets of a geisha. The packaging is gorgeous of course.

The first 2 days using the products I felt so excited because the deep rice enzyme powder seemed to do as it claimed (removed blackheads, exfoliated nicely, is different than anything I've ever used ) and I enjoyed the silk moisturizing cream and camellia cleansing oil. Everything smells lovely as well. Also, I applied the brightening serum at night . This was my least favorite. I followed the routine suggested using all 4 products and only those 4.

However, I started to notice after a week my skin developing a scaly, transparent rash/burn like consistency on my face. It was clear.. not a red rash but my skin had the texture of some sort of sea creature from a lost world. (do not use these products if you have any type of sensitive skin condition.) I started to panic and went to my dermatologist. It only got worse. Small and large pimples also developed under the scaly rash. Not coming to a head. What an awful mess my skin was! This product completely changed the texture of my skin to that of a baby reptile! I used Eminence skin care prior to trying Tatcha and I will be staying with Eminence.

Now, I am using A and D ointment on my entire face in the evening for a few days to fade away the glorious rash this product has caused. How glamourous to go to bed with this on. But you know what A and D ointment really saved me here and all the bizarre things this skin care line has done is finally starting to fade.

With deep regret I would not reccomend this product. There is something harsh hidden in the ingredients (Talc?) or perhaps red algae aggravates sensitive/oily skin. But if you do have normal skin that can take a beating try the classic enzyme rice powder once a week. At least you won't have any blackheads!

For sensitive/oily/combination skin users the blotting papers are your best bet.

on 4/20/2014 11:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I began using the Tatcha skin care line about two months ago. The first month was great, I loved the camelia and rice powder cleansing routine. I actually ordered more because I was getting low on my first order. This past week, I started noticing my entire forehead broken out with acne, it has even spread down onto my nose. I stopped using Tatcha's products and I'm hoping the acne will subside! I plan on sending all the products back! I'm very disappointed!!

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I absolutely love Tatcha! This sampler came in beautiful packaging and the products were great (pictured). I have oily skin with quite large pores. The packaging came with beautiful info cards and a booklet describing Tatcha and how to use the products.
The Camellia Cleansing Oil, Rice Enzyme Powder (All three have actually worked great on my skin, but for everyday use I think gentle and classic are better) and the Brightening serum are the standout products in the sampler. The cleansing oil takes off all the makeup, including Duo eyelash glue, which is great because I don't have to rub my eyes a lot and noticed that my lashes are not pulling out like they would with other makeup cleansers.
The Rice Enzyme Powder makes my skin so soft and bright! I am in love! My pores are clearer and as a result less noticeable and smaller/clearer.
The brightening serum is lovely, I smooth it in after I use my rose water toner and it absorbs nicely!
The moisturizer is nice and makes my skin very supple, but I am not sure if I would buy a full size of it. I would probably opt for the Camellia Beauty Gold Oil instead since my skin responds better to face oils instead of creamy moisturizers!
The Aburatoragami blotting papers are divine as always.
Tatcha also has promos and three free samples and amazing customer service (returns, no questions asked).
Bottom line, try it and as they state in their directions, patch test the rice enzyme powders first before using it all over your face! Everyone's skin is different, I am just super grateful it worked for mine!

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

What a lovely looking set. I thought it was pretty expensive for what you get. I thought that the trial sizes could have been done better. For example the enzyme powders would be better off in a larger deluxe sample type jar for each skin type you could purchase your own box, and maybe include a classic powder sachet in each skin type box e.g. One 10g jar of Gentle powder + one 1g sachet of classic powder.

All the items arrived to me in perfect condition and it came with cards to tell me about each Tatcha product. Which no other skincare brand I have used have ever done this. I do like a brand that gives to charity and strives to use natural ingredients where there are so many other brands out there that do neither. I did note, thanks to another reviewer that there are a few filler ingredients some of which are not necessary on skincare. I would love for Tatcha to improve on this in future and that would really justify their prices. I did go on to purchase full sized camellia oil, classic enzyme powder, dewy mist (not available in sampler) & lip balm (not available in sampler). See my other reviews on these.

on 10/7/2013 8:29:00 AM

Received the sampler in its lovely packaging. First time I used the products, I had a strange tingling sensation, bordering on burning. It took about 10 minutes for it to subside. My cheeks were red, but that subsided too. About 24 hours later, I used the products again. My face was on fire! No exaggeration. Skin inflamed, and I had such burning that I immediately splashed cold water to get off all products. Even after I washed the products off my face, my skin was burning.

The reaction was so bad that I had to make an emergency call to my doctor on a weekend. She immediately prescribed a topical steroid cream. She also told me to take the medication Benedryl because Tatcha products had clearly caused a terrible allergic reaction. Note that I do NOT have what anyone would consider "sensitive" skin. I have never, ever had such a reaction to any skincare products ... ever!

I'm writing this review so that others might be spared. If you have the initial reaction on first use that I did, immediately stop and return the products. Don't do what I did and attempt to use a second time. I now have to use the steroid cream for about a week to stop the damage the Tatcha products did.

I would like to start off by saying, I really, really wanted to love this. Admittedly, I'm a sucker for packaging, and these products are some of the most beautifully presented you'll ever find.

That said, I feel that the packaging is just that: packaging. It's dressing up cheap filler ingredients in a pretty package and marketing it as natural, expensive, and exotic.

First, the good:

- These products are free of a lot of bad or suspect ingredients: there's no mineral oil, synthetic fragrances, sulfate detergents, parabens, pegs, ppgs, urea, DEA, TEA, or Pthalates.

This is all well and good- mineral oil is a major irritant/pore clogging ingredient for many people, synthetic fragrances frequently cause reactions for those with sensitive or acne prone skin, and sulfate detergents can be too harsh.

The bad:
- They might be free of the above ingredients, but don't be fooled. Tatcha still uses cheap filler ingredients that have a record for causing breakouts or sensitivity. Talc debuts in first place on the ingredient list for all three of their Enzyme Cleansing Powders. You won't find this listed on their website, because they only list "Actives" rather than all ingredients. Alcohol also shows up in almost all three main liquid based products. Again, this is not in and of itself bad, but it is incriminated frequently as an irritant for sensitive skin, and it tends to be drying.

The ugly:
- I love the idea behind the products- skin care secrets of geisha?? How awesome is that? But the problem is, there doesn't seem to be enough "secrets" here that I couldn't find elsewhere. Instead, there's a large dose of cheap fillers that might actually irritate a good many people with genuinely sensitive skin, and there's a small amount of the "secret" ingredients. Camellia and Rice Bran oils, licorice root, green tea and algae extracts, rice powders, etc.- all of these are potentially excellent ingredients for people with sensitive, aging, and acne prone skin. The problem is, if you dump in a hefty dose of talc and alcohol, the odds are these same people will start to have some unpleasant reactions.

Case in point:
- I have sensitive, combination skin that breaks out only when irritated. It did, however, take me years to realize that I wasn't "oily and acne prone"- so I have some faint scarring from when I broke out after using my dermatologist's prescribed benzoyl peroxide creams. My concerns are: I'm 26, I would like to maintain a clear, pale, smooth complexion; I want to continue fading old redness/dark spots; I want to avoid the sun. Forever.

- Tatcha seemed like it might help me to achieve these things. I've used Mario Badescu's Whitening Masque for years, and I love it. I also get frequent Diamond Microdermabrasions, moisturize religiously, and use sun screen. I wanted to graduate my skincare to one that was more focused on my post-quarter-of-a-century age, and Tatcha's focus on a few natural ingredients seemed like a good start.

My first use of the products wasn't bad. I enjoyed the Camellia Cleansing Oil- it does actually turn milky, but you have to be sure to add water or it will just stay an oil. It took off all of my makeup, and it did leave my skin smooth.

The Enzyme Cleansing Powder was also a treat to use (emphasis on "to use"). It left my skin polished and soft, wasn't abrasive, and didn't irritate while on my skin.

The Brightening Serum: seemed to soak in fairly well, it does leave a faint tackiness, but it wasn't a huge turn off. Ditto for the Moisture Rich Silk Cream- absorbs, does stay a tad sticky, but not anything extreme.

So far so good, right?

Oh, just wait a few hours. The first night, I used it at about 7:30 PM. By 10:00 I was getting cranky. I had been warned by other reviews about the "tingling" that you're supposed to expect from the algae going to work, but by 10:00 it wasn't so much tingling as a faint, constant itch. My skin wasn't red or irritated in appearance, but for the love of God it ITCHED.

When I couldn't stand it any longer, I washed it off with Cetaphil and used my witch hazel hydrosol from From Nature with Love to remove the rest. I put my pearl powder masque on for a few minutes, and topped it off with a good dose of my Oxygen Plasma Serum. My face immediately relaxed, and drifted off into blissful peace.

The next day, I started wondering if this was all a fluke. Maybe it itched because I washed my face, applied my serum and moisturizer, and then later decided on a hot shower. That sounds logical, right? (maybe not, whatever. I'm telling a story here).

So the next night I tried it again. This time, I took my shower first, then waited an hour or so to cleanse, treat and moisturize.

Because I had used the Classic Enzyme Powder the first night, I chose the Gentle this time around. Maybe my skin couldn't handle the other- maybe it wasn't classy enough.

Again, directly after my ritual, everything felt fine. Supple, soft skin, a feeling of silky, moisturized awesomeness.

Two hours later: #*@&$)(@#*&$)(*@ it ITCHES!!! Again, there wasn't any redness to indicate a major irritation, but this time there were painful, blotchy pimples in places I've never had them. I don't break out anymore, mind, I haven't broken out since I tried to use La Roche Posay sunscreen last year and my skin bitch slapped me back to puberty. But this time there were pimples- the kind that look a bit like welts because they're in clusters of clogged pores. It hurt, it itched. I said "screw it" and hopped back into a cool shower to cleanse, treat and apply my old school serums.

Obviously, I decided there had to be more going on here than awesome ingredients like camellia, rice, licorice root, pearls and green tea. All of those ingredients have ended up in my skincare routines over the past few years, and none of them have caused any irritations.

So I did a bit more research. And, lo and behold, there it was: talc

on 8/5/2013 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I have bought the trial set and then get the whole full size line as gifts so I can say that I have tried all of these products for at least 6 months.
Cleanser: feels and smells extremely luxurious and expensive. It is very gentle on the skin. But if you use a lot of waterproof mascara, I find this oil does not do that good of a job taking them off even compared to cheap cleansing oils like DHC. Also, you do have to use quite a bit of it to create a slick enough layer to massage your face so this is always the first product of the line to run out. All in all, I'd buy it again because i like the feel of it but I don't think it is my smartest purchase.
Powder: my favorite exfoliant of all time. I have struggled with blackheads and large pores all my life and this product, while does not eliminate them completely, has drastically helped while still being gentle to my skin. Many other pore/blackheads control products use very harsh ingredients that would end up aging your skin fast so this Tatcha powder is a godsend. Warning: This probably will not work on people with dry skin. I have combination skin with oily Tzone and normal cheeks, and I avoid the cheek area when using this product. If I happen to use this on my cheeks for several days in a row, I would end up with dry red rashes.
Serum: I do not have acne marks or sunspots so I couldn't quite tell if the serum had any effect on my skin until I stopped using it. My face ended up looking a bit lackluster and less bright. So I 'd buy it again.
Moisturizer: this is the most meh product of the line for me. It did not leave me oily but at the same time it didn't do anything to improve my skin either. I have dehydrated skin so I feel this product is not doing enough and the richer version broke me out. There are many better moisturizers out there at this price range.

Popular Face Skincare Products