St.Tropez Bronzing Mist

No Image

3.8

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Oh, St. Tropez, St. Tropez... my new bestes' friend. I definitely had my doubts at first - first thing that alarmed me was the term "self-tan" in the product name. Nothing good EVER comes out of a translucently pale white girl & a self-procclaimed tan in a bottle. Secondly was the price... I'm a bargain snob - I root for the cosmetic underdog, what can I say? But dood, take it from someone who has tried every effin' sunless tanner on the market: pricey, maybe, but believe me when I say this stuff's worth it.
The directions instruct to spray evenly over the whole body, give it about four hours to completely set (meanwhile get ready for the day, take a nap, whatevs), and shower off to reveal a gorgeous, healthy glow.
So I spray myself down, it dries really really quickly - which is nice, because walking around like a nude, yet very bronzed swamp monsta' for hours on end gets a little weird for the family, I'll admit. In the meantime I'm checkin' out my skin in the sunlight - the true test if it's an even sunless-tan. And I'm not gonna lie, at this point, I'm a little worried. It's a little, um, overly-colored straight out of the can, which I'm guessing is why a shower's recommended once the bronzer sets? So I'm holding out, hoping this shower will bust some shit out & save the St. Tropez name. Turns out, it did (: it looked totally natural once I showered and dried off, absolutely no streaking, no scary-dark elbows/knees, and flawless color match - which is the part that blew my mind, considering it was sort of a one-size-fits-all bronzer.
The only down side is there's a subtle chemical smell to it (not a big deal for me, but some people might not be crazy about it), and the price is on the steep side if you buy it directly - don't be afraid to check out Ebay though, usually you can find some awesome deals on that kinda stuff. And if you're worried it might not be a genuine St. Tropez product or whatever, all you have to do is contact the Ebay company - they'll refund you, 100%.

St. Tropez Self-Tan Bronzing Spray = ego boost in an effin' can; definitely recommend (;

on 4/3/2007 5:33:00 PM

After having a St.Tropez bronzing treatment done at a spa, the lady recommended I use this to help the color last longer at home. It comes with a sponge applicator that helps for your face, back and other hard to reach places. While it did help to keep the color, there are some things to keep in mind:
1. exfoliation every 3 days and moisturizing everyday are KEY
2. this gives a light application when applied with the sponge (I plan to try it with my hands the next time I use it to see if it gives more coverage)
3. due to the light application, it is really hard to apply it so it will streak
4. you could benefit from applying it 2 nights in a row and then wait until your next exfoliation to apply again
5. I spray the sponge over the sink and then apply (usually with 3 squirts) The mess was minimal.
6. apply at night after exfoliating in the shower and shower in the morning to rinse off the color guide
Practice will make perfect, IMO, and you need to experiment with application techniques to see what works best for you. As I said before, it really seems impossible to apply this wrong if you are covering all parts with care. I found the lotion to be a bit more tricky, especially on my hands and feet and I will rate that product as well.

First of all, when they say "Shimmering Bronze", they mean "SHIMMERING BRONZE!" I looked like a statue of bronze, seriously. DH was frightened of me. I have never seen a darker color guide in a self-tanner and it was very metallic. It was a MESS to apply, too. All over my bahroom, since it's a spray. I was bleaching towels like crazy this morning. In the end, it came out pretty light. It wasn't very dark at all after I washed it off. I seriously thought I was going to have to call off work today since I was prepared to look like a freak, a la Ross on Friends. But it was pretty light, a little disappointingly light since I get darker results from the Whipped Bronze(Mousse).

Edited 6/28/05: Halfway through use, the spray mechanism on the bottle stopped functioning. I had to unscrew it and pour the solution out onto a sponge to apply. This resulted in a.) a mess and b.)half the product going down my sink. I will be sticking to my mousse going forward!

on 4/5/2011 6:21:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

ITS BRILLANT BUT DO NOT USE IT ON UR FACE OR U WILL GET A RASH! :(

on 6/11/2005 9:02:00 AM

It's important to realise there are actually 2 different spray-on products, the Shimmering Mist and the Bronzing Mist. I've tried them both and much preferred the Bronzing Mist.

The Shimmering Mist has a bronzer type substance in it so that you skin literally shimmers after you've applied. It looks very unnatural, especially on the face, so I just used to apply it before bed. Unfortunately it produces a very light colour once washed off, and it really broke out my face and back.

The Bronzing Mist on the other hand gave me a nicer colour on my Type 1 skin(nicer than the mousse), faded better then the mousse and didn't break me out. So I'd definetely recommend the Bronzing Mist but not the Shimmering spray.

on 5/8/2004 6:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I love the lotion, but wanted to try the mist. I love them both for different reasons. The color guide on the mist is wearable, not at all dark and thick like the lotion. The mist dries extremely fast and is not sticky. It has a more pleasant smell than the lotion. The bottle is tall, and seems to last a long time for me. The tan itself is always very even and pretty, *fairly* long-lasting (not quite as long as the lotion) and realistic. One layer on me cuts the glare and looks attractive - like you got a little sun, but it takes three or four layers to get me as dark as I like to look in the summer. But, application is very fast and easy. I use latex gloves when I apply. Usually, I apply it to my face with a sponge. I always wash my face after a few hours, because the color guide breaks me out a little if I don't. For hands and feet, I rub some regular lotion in first, or use a lotion type self tanner there. The other difference I notice with the lotion and mist is, the mist's end color is slightly more golden. It still looks very natural on me, as described above, but there is a difference in the colors between the two. The lotion also gets me darker with less applications. On the downside of using the mist, you will need to hold your breath sometimes while applying, to minimize breathing the mist. The mist residue will settle on things where you are spraying, so either put something on the floor, stand in your tub, or be sure to wipe things off when you are done. It's great for travel too.

on 7/28/2003 5:04:00 AM

The St. Tropez Self Tanning Lotion is my Holy Grail but I bought this just to try it, and I like it a lot. It is NOT as dark as the lotion at all imho...it doesn't get my mmm skin quite as dark but it would work wonderfully for fairer skins. The color guide isn't quite as dramatic either, so it's easier for klutzes like me to miss little spots. It's still excellent and one of the best self tanners that I've ever tried, and I've tried many.
The scent is stronger than the lotion but not as offensive as other tanning products. You spritz it on, then rub it in. It doesn't really matter how evenly you applied it, as long as you haven't missed any spots it will not streak at all. This dries quickly and doesn't get all over things like the lotion does. The bottle is great, you can spray upside down which is really convenient. Not for the face, since the spray can't really be 'controlled' but excellent for the body. I'd buy it again, but I still prefer my lotion. continued >>

on 10/20/2002 12:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is THE BEST S.Tropez product I ve tried! It also is THE BEST selftanner there is out there!! The colour is sooooo natural!!! Everyone asked me where I have been holidaying and when I had time to w/o them noticing! This says a lot about a product!!! It is like it s name a mist that u spray onto a clean, scrubbed body. Moisturise ur dry parts like elbows and ankles and then spray it on and smooth it in with the provided gloves included with the Mist. This way ur hands dont get dirty! Very practical! It is lighter than the original lotion in consistency and doesnt feel so heavy and sticky on the body! It really soaks into the skin in just a few minutes (3 by me!) and u can put ur clothes back on and it does NOT stain the clothes! At least it didnt with me! Also a plus point the bedsheets didnt get dirty! I left it on over night and in the morning after the shower I had a nice tan!! And it was one of those WOW tans!! I repeated the same the following day and it really deepened my tan! I would really recommend using the St.Tropez moisturiser with it as it does really prolong the tan, it has some active tanning ingridients in it! Now I spray it on 1-2 a week and I m constantly tanned. It takes really just a few minutes rather than baking hours in the sun to get the same effect and its harmless!! I will NEVER EVER buy a different selftan!!! I have never seen a more natural, NOT YELLOW OR ORANGE colour! Definitely recommend to u guys!! Its worth the money and the hype!!!

on 1/24/2016 6:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This used to be such a great self tanner and I don't know what happened to it. When I recently bought it again the color guide was awfully green. I thought maybe I got a dud so I ordered another one straight off their website. Same thing. It goes on very green and looks horrible. I have used and loved this for years and it used to be a beautiful golden brown color. This is just awful. Will never order this again.
I noticed that is has been half price on their website for a while now. Maybe they are phasing out the product or selling off their old stock. In any case, BEWARE as this is sadly not what it used to be.

on 3/14/2014 9:08:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This self tanner is fantastic for beginners. The color is such a natural golden brown with NEUTRAL undertones so it will look great on everyone. This is great when you want a tan overnight, as the color builds up within a few hours. My tan lasted a few days, without extra moisturizing or gradual tanner used afterward. I was very happy with the color, and how easy it was to apply. You may need to rub in a few spots if you don't evenly spray it, but the spray nozzle is pretty great in that it gives a wide spray, so you won't end up with any white zebra stripes if you forget a spot. I've only used this twice, and I think I've been using too much because it seems like I may only get 3-4 uses out of the full sized bottle. However, this is still much cheaper than getting a professional spray tan. I think I'll try out the gradual tanner for in between sprays.

Overall: If you've never used a self tanner but want a quick glow for a night/weekend out, this is for you. The price will be totally worth it, but if you're really worried about it, I'd suggest buying it from a store with a good return policy, like Sephora.