Ren Hydra-Calm Global Protection Day Cream

Ren Hydra-Calm Global Protection Day Cream

3.6

Anthemis Nobilis (Chamomile) Flower Extract, Camellia Oleifera Seed Oil, Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate, Myristyl Myristate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Cetearyl Glucoside, Glycerin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Triheptanoin, Oryzanol, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Vaccinium Macrocarpon (Cranberry) Seed Oil, Ribes Nigrum (Black Currant) Seed Oil, Bisabolol, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Laminaria Ochroleuca Extract, Cassia Alata Leaf Extract, Pueraria Lobata (Kudzu) Symbiozome Extract, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Hippophae Rhamnoides Fruit Extract, Citrus Nobilis (Mandarin Orange) Peel Oil, Pelargonium Graveolens Flower Oil, Cinnamomum Camphora Linalloliferum (Ho Wood) Leaf Oil, Anthemis Nobilis (Chamomile) Flower Oil, Limonene, Citronellol, Geraniol, Linalool, Tocopherol.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I got a really nice sized tube of this as a points perk with the latest Sephora purchase (though mine is called "Evercalm", not "Hydracalm"). I have a serious pet peeve with day products that make claims about "global protection" or "environmental protection" when they don't contain ANY sun screen. One of the most important and easiest "global" concerns to protect ourselves from is the damage the sun can do to our skins. So to make a daytime moisturizer that gives this false sense of "protection" without offering anything just makes me SO angry. Call it a "daytime moisturizer" but spare us all the borderline lies about "global protection". Now, this is a perfectly okay moisturizer (provided I top it with sunscreen or a foundation product containing sunscreen) but it's $56 in Canada and for that type of money, it's really not special. I'd rather shell out a few more bucks for Clinique SuperDefense and get something that moisturizes better and at least contains SPF20!

I find it interesting that so many people have mentioned the fragrance. That doesn't bother me - I'm lucky that way. But it strikes me as ironic that while so many are bothered by scent in skin products, a whole bunch of women are doing a "happy dance" about the smells that Too Faced is adding to their EYESHADOW palettes. Too Faced seems to be doing this with alarmingly increasing frequency...they started with the Chocolate Bar Palette and now they've got the Peanut Butter and Jelly one and all this Sweet Peach stuff. The one place fragrance really doesn't belong is in our EYE MAKEUP.

This product has too much fragrance in it for me to use it more than once. I know they describe the fragrance as being natural, but arsenic is natural and no one would put that on their face by choice. There are many chemicals that are proven to work and are safer than the so called natural ingredients they use.

My more detailed review video is below.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

The biggest MEH cream I've purchased in a long time.

Pros-
Texture is nice, absorbs nicely, gives some hydration.

Packaging is great, no risk of oxidizing/spoiling.

Doesn't offend, wears well with most other skin care.

Cons-
WHY oh WHY can't Ren make a lotion without their weird citronool(sp?)/linalool fragrance?? Just leave it out! It smells like floor cleaner.

It doesn't do anything other than hydrate like a meh moisturizer. Hydration lasts a few hours before it's gone (I'm dry, but not THAT dry). ZERO anti-aging, skin-improving properties.

This is one of those kind of useless moisturizers unless you're 24 with good skin. There's too much fragrance (organic or whatever) for me to use on irritated/extra dry days (and again it's not THAT hydrating). And it does almost nothing to remedy other skin concerns.

I slap this on when I'm having a serum-heavy day/night and don't want to overload my face. I also use it for hand cream in a pinch.

I won't rebuy. It's not special.

on 1/18/2017 9:47:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Bought in the in conjunction with two other REN products as a special offer. Really nice to use and makes my skin feel soft and protected from the wind. Skin feels "plumped" I have been using REN products for about 2 years now and find that they are great multi-taskers and just really nice to use.

on 12/11/2016 9:19:00 PM

At first, I loved this product. It made my skin very soft and hydrated. However, overtime I feel my skin was tired of it. It became to heavy, and the scent started to bother me. I would not recommend this to oily skin types because it is a heavier cream for sure. I also would not recommend this to sensitive skin types, because although the ingredients are soothing, the scent is so extremely strong!!!!!

Pro's
Hydration
Softness

Cons
SCENTT
price

on 12/11/2016 2:40:00 PM

Not irritating, and an ok moisturizer. But what on earth is up with the chalky white film?? Doesn't absorb well at all, and made my face look like crap all day. No thanks!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Scent: Herbal medley...not too bad, not too good either
Packaging: I do like the hygienic pump design.

A little too heavy for my combo skin. I would prefer something a bit more mattifying. This really is a thick cream, and it has a bit of a sheen finish. I can imagine it would be great on drier skin types.

on 6/3/2016 2:35:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

My skin is so red and so sensitive. Everything causes me to break out. I got a sample of this from the skin woman in Sephora and I love it. When the sample ran out and purchased ASAP. Within a week the redness in my face was so much better, my skin was more moisturized, and my drier areas were looking so much less flakey.

on 1/22/2015 11:24:00 AM

i just finished up a mini sample size of this and am a little bit sad to see it go. the mini lasted me a good number of uses (i'd say over 15 uses) as i found a little bit goes a long way. i'd take half a pea size amount on a fingertip, rub my fingers gently together to warm up the product then apply it to my whole face, focusing on my dry spots. it did well to moisturize my face, didn't feel too heavy or greasy, and did not make me breakout. i find that this works best in the drier fall/winter months and think it will be too heavy during the sweatier months of the year. it works well under my sunscreen, which is a bit drying and mattifying, to prevent dry scaly flakes from showing up. it is a pretty basic moisturizer that doesn't do anything special for the skin aside from moisturize. however, i would consider repurchasing this if i cannot find something that is comparable in the drugstore.

on 11/23/2014 2:43:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Received a general sample that lasted over a week. I found it to be a bit too thick for my liking as I generally prefer moisturizers that sink in fast especially since it's very humid where I live. It left a white coating on my skin (like old school sunblock) until I rubbed it in. In terms of moisturizing it was just OK (my skin is normal to dry) and I wasn't too fond of the medicinal smell either. I can imagine this would probably work better for someone with dry and sensitive skin though, especially in the cooler months.