Michael Todd True Organics Blue Green Algae Toner

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Michael Todd True Organics Blue Green Algae Toner

4.6

Aloe Barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Leaf Juice, Ascophyllum Nodosum (Organic Kelp) Extract, Aphanizomenon Flos Aquae (Organic Blue Green Algae) Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Hyaluronate (Hyaluronic Acid), Salix Nigra (Black Willowbark) Extract, Euterpe Oleracea (Acai Fruit) Pulp Powder, Sodium Chloride (Dead Sea Salt), Polysorbate, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Essential Oil, Sodium Benzoate, Glucolactone, Citric Acid, Lavendula Angustifolia (Certifed Organic) Hydrosol.

on 2/28/2016 3:18:00 AM

6-7 years ago, I used to use a toner- Neutrogena Deep Clean Toner, which is now discontinued. My skin used to be clear, I stopped using it perhaps 4 years ago. Then I started having hormonal acne ( on the chin area) 3 years ago, I was able to find the Neutrogena toner online again but it didn't seem to work anymore. I then tried witch hazel, Neutrogena Alcohol free toner, the body shop green tea toner, Loreal Hydra toner, Neutrogena rapid clear toner, Mario Badescu, Clinique toner, proactive and NOTHING seemed to make a difference. They either did nothing, dried my skin or aggravated my acne. So I actually went 2 years without a toner. I've seen a few you tubers rave about this toner so I decided to give it a try since my new skincare regimen seem to be helping me clear 75-80% but I couldn't fully get rid of the tiny, pesky hormonal acne that kept lingering around. I use this twice a day, at night follow by oil cleanse ( jojoba oil) and in the morning after splashing my face with warm water and it has done wonders!!! I am completely clear now. At the start of using this 1 week ago, I had 2 white head and 7 small clogged pores about to turn into acne. Now the 2 white head are 75% gone, the small clogged pores have literally dried up, and heads have come to the surface with a gentle squeeze. Usually before this, the tiny clogged pores would eventually become an angry white head that would cause red hyper pigmentation.

The bottle is quite large, a little over 8 oz. The smell is really not as bad as other ppl claim. It smells a tiny bit like herb but mainly fresh. It doesn't burn at all. My only complaint is the pump, it splashes and gets everywhere. Perhaps I got a faulty pump? I love this product and will continue to use this! Definitely recommend for hormonal acne.

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I have been using this for a week and I like it. I have sensitive skin that breaks out if I introduce it to anything new, but this has reacted very well. The scent is a bit strong (that is why I took off a lippie). Other than that, I am interested in trying more products from this company!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I recently started trying out Michael Todd products and UGHH I AM IN LOVE!! This toner is one of my favorite products that I tried from this brand. At first, I didn't see much of a difference but I noticed I was getting less break outs and my pores looked a lot smaller. I'm guessing the anit-bacterial factor really helped prevent break outs and helped maintain clear pores. The only thing that turned me off about this product is the scent. It just smells really herbally and organic .. I eventually got used to it though. Definitely one of the best toners I have ever tried!

on 2/5/2014 10:38:00 AM

What is most noticeable about this product is its strong smell. It smells a lot like witch hazel (not my favorite). I was hesitant to put it on my face because of this, but it actually is quite gentle and did not irritate my skin. I feel that my skin is softer after using this. It is too early to tell in terms of acne prevention (although currently I do not have any). I have to disagree, however, with the marketing on this product that it is a SUPER moisturizing product. Hardly at all. But I do not think that the point of a toner for acne is to really moisturize in the first place. This product deserves a solid four stars.

on 11/11/2013 12:38:00 PM

I've been struggling with severe hormonal acne due to PCOS. While I've recently went back on my BCP, I also added this toner to my skincare routine and I really think it's been helping with the acne. Right now my skin is drying out (normally combo/oily) and I have large, painful break-out spots on my cheeks and jawline/neck. I've been using this toner day and night and notice a significant decrease in redness, swelling and new spots.

My face feels refreshed and clean after using this. And even though my skin is dry during the winter months, I don't feel like this strips my skin and makes it feel tight or uncomfortable.

I think this is very similar to the Aubrey Organics Blue Green Algae toner that has been discontinued, so if you loved that one and were looking for a replacement, check this out.

on 9/24/2013 5:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I really wanted to love this. All the ingredients are so wonderful, reviews stellar... Doesn't work for me. I have extremely dry, sensitive, acne-prone skin and recently my acne has been out of control. I'm 23 and have had about 10 active pimples on my face plus 20 angry red scars for the past year with no clearing signs ahead. I bought this expecting miracles. The ingredients are to die for! Well first of all, every time I use it it burns so bad it's almost unbearable. And I used it on my neck only once and that was probably 2 months ago and broke out in an insane rash it's still there. I don't know what it is! It works for everyone I'm devastated. If you are reading this don't let my review scare you away. It has fantastic ingredients and rave reviews (which got me to purchase it) but it certainly didn't agree with me. Skin issues is a learning game and all about experimenting. All skin is different and you have to keep trying until you find your winner! I still give it three lippies just because I know it is great for most people. But for me the search continues!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I don't write reviews often. I don't think I've written one in 5+ years. However, I had to write one for this product. I heard from other YouTube and beauty bloggers that Michael Todd only publishes 4+ star ratings (I have no idea if that's true or not), so I decided to write my review here just in case.

I have oily, acne prone, and reactive skin. Even though I'm 26, I still broke out a lot - especially with grad school, and around that time of the month. And then I bought this toner. Best thing I've ever purchased. Ever. I've used drug store, department store/sephora, and prescription products. Nothing has worked for my skin as well as this has. It's reduced my breakouts by about 90% (after about 3weeks of use). Freaking amazing!

Packaging -- You get a significant amount of product. Way more than other drug store or department store products.

Price - Awesome. The site offers a 10% coupon for first time shoppers.

Routine:
Morning: Wash w/ Neutrogena Pink Grapefruit Scrub, Blue Green Algae Toner, mix Clinique Acne Moisturizer with Aveeno radiance moisturizer

Night: Wash with CeraVe (2x), Blue Green Algae Toner, mix Clinique Acne Moisturizer with Aveeno radiance moisturizer

Spot Treatment - Clinique Emergency Lotion

on 5/30/2013 5:29:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

UPDATE
I now often use this on my boyfriend after he shaves. He has sensitive skin too and always got a lot of inflammated hair follicles. We're talking about 10-30 small pimples gathered in a bunch several places at once. Then I began using this on him... and his skin is 90% better! :D If you know a guy that has the same problem, he should try this! :)
END OF UPDATE
I bought this because of a beauty guru mentioning that several other people said that this keep hormone related breakouts away, and also experienced it herself. Right now that is about the only type of break outs I get, so I decided to try this out.
I was very disappointed about the Michael Tod website not being honest by not posting reviews that were under 4 stars, but I won't rate this toner down for that reason - it's a great product for me.
First off: the bottle is HUGE! I was really afraid of receiving a tiny little bottle of toner, but got positively surprised. The first thing I looked at on the bottle were the ingredients (yey - they are on the bottle!) - I don't think I've ever seen that many active ingredients in a product. Instead of containing lots of fillers and things that makes the consistency pleasant, this have actually working ingredients - you aren't paying for "just some water"!
I have sensitive skin, so it's great that this doesn't contain alcohol! I don't use this with a cotton pad. I did try it once, just to see if my double face cleanse for some reason left some makeup behind... it doesn't :) Because rubbing things on my face might irritate my skin, I use this toner by pouring a little in my palm, dipping my fingers in it and putting it on my face, then patting it - it works great! I use this twice a day.
I usually get small hormonal acne (leading to big hyperpigmentated areas) on my jawline and neck, but I've actually seen a reduction in these acne since I began using this toner - reduction so far, not total absence. I can't explain the mechanism behind it, but I would definitely recommend trying this if you have the same problem.
I also loved that I got 4 samples with this one purchase: the silk and pearl peeling, the charcoal scrub, the vitamin C serum and a citrus toner. I have already ordered the silk and pearl peeling, and the charcoal scrub. I don't know if the vitamin C serum works - I think I would need to use it for quite longer than the sample would last (about 7 uses for me), but, honestly, I haven't had many serums that have made much difference to my skin. Till now, the only serums that I for sure can say made a difference is the Hadalabo Shirojyun Deep Whitening Lotion (amazing!) and the Missha Night Repair Science Activating Ampoule (which I CAN'T use too often) - I have a review on both. The citrus toner I haven't tried, as it's for oily skin, and mine is dry. Will probably try sometime in the summer as my skin might be oilier then.
I have also bought the "sensitive dry skin regimen", so I will review those products after trying them out for some time too (usually after using hem for about 3 or so months, unless they give some kind of immediate effect)

on 4/13/2013 5:03:00 PM

This is definitely my favorite toner. I have tried the korres one, lancome, clinique, straight witch hazel.....nothing worked well. They all dried out my face which I was able to manage with heavy moisturizer. I liked them but I needed something better and without the denatured alcohol.

I think this is it. I also have the cranberry and the lemon ones to try but so far this one is great. It is good at getting the extra makeup/residue off and doesn't dry my skin as much. It doesn't provide a miracle cure for acne but does help prevent new break outs and reduces redness. I do still get breakouts from some hormones but not as bad as before and far less frequently. Definitely a good product and cheaper than a lot of the high end ones.