Tarte Pure Maracuja Oil

Tarte Pure Maracuja Oil

3.7

Maracuja Oil

on 6/14/2016 9:38:00 AM

I'll be honest, my review is based on a few times usage and my first impressions.

background info: oily combo skin, slight sensitive skin user, blemish / acne prone skin type. likes wearing full faced makeup. living in sub tropical conditions, ranging 91.4°F on an average day. hot and humid weather mostly.

i purchased a travel sized version of this as i was intrigued by it. i've never tried using facial oils before so i thought this was be a great option to try out.

pros:
+ packaging, comes with a dropper, easy to control
+ can have multiple functions; so far i've only tried on my hair and my face.
+ not too oily
+ fast absorption
+ does do what it claims
+ does not break me out

cons:
- price
- not sure if i could do this routine in the long run

i have oily combo skin, so i am very skeptical of putting more oil on my face. so my virgin experience of trying this facial oil was applying a few drops on my palm (maybe like 2-3 drops) and then apply on my entire face. this was after toner and moisturizer. and then i went to sleep. at that point of time i had no breakouts, hence i don't put any sort of acne medication before i sleep.

before this addition of the facial oil, my night routine was cleanse > tone > moisturize > acne medication and i go to sleep. all of my skincare products have been tried and tested and do not break me out so its a good test for me. before the addition of the facial oil step, whenever i wake up the next morning my face will be slightly oily, especially around my nose area. i'm not sure why but i am guessing my skin is a bit too dry around the nose area which leads to the extra production of oil.

so i was actually quite surprised that after i applied the facial oil that night, i woke up the next morning with absolutely NO oily skin at all!!!!!!!!!! i swear. my face looked healthy and plumped. to me i felt like it returned to the normal skin type category. i was amazed, i swear. this has never happened to me before.

mind you, you do not need to apply too much of this oil. one thin layer will do the trick. it does wonders.

i also woke up in the morning with no breakouts. absolutely clear skin.

i tried applying a few drops on my hair after shampooing but i didn't really like the finish. i read from several sources that you can use it on your cuticles, hair etc etc but i would prefer this more of a skincare thing.

i tried adding a few drops in my foundation routine as some of my foundations are quite matte and i wanted it to look more dewy. but i didn't think it'd did much. in fact some parts of the foundation separated. i am not extremely well versed in this so i am suspecting that this oil will only do well in certain foundations which are oil based (?) / water based (?). pls pm or correct me if i am wrong as i am genuinely interested but i haven't found the right technique yet.

overall i would give it a 2.5/5. i gave this number because even though i think its a great addition to skincare routine i'm not sure if i can keep up with this routine in the long run. after all, i am not quite comfortable with putting oil on my face. that doesn't imply that the product is bad, because i do see the results.

the price was $20, which i paid for a travel sized. i haven't used it up yet. i don't know if i can ever use up, lol. i think it's pricey, but if you would like to give it a try you can invest in this.

i like the packaging, but now the dropper is not in the condition that it used to be when i bought just 6 months ago. the dropper is a bit too plastic for my liking, even though it did its job. at this point i'm actually worried if the dropper might break one day unknowingly lol.

overall i wouldn't repurchase. this isn't a product that i would rave or recommend to a friend even though it does its job. i am just not sure if it is worth that price because currently it is "meh" at my level of likeness. but if you've never tried a facial oil, maybe this is something that you can research and consider for.

hope this somehow helps!

on 5/14/2016 11:50:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Oh my god I wanted to love this sooo hard. I bought this as part of the special that has the travel size with eye cream with it for $12, so a major steal compared to the original. At first I was over the moon with this, I felt so soft and luscious and glowy and was raving to everyone. BUT. About a week later I noticed I was getting cysts all over. I probably had a few before that but didn't attribute it to the oil. I thought it was normal for me, or maybe stress....because I felt like the oil was helping my skin in a major way. But I never really get cysts from stress. It tends to happen this way, too. About a week in is when my skin reacts (if not immediately) and from there it just goes crazy. Now obviously my skin isn't great anyway but there's times you just know it's a product and this was one of those times. I was sooooo reluctant to stop using it but I did, and I saw a gradual improvement (as in, back to 'normal' broken out skin instead of insane non stop cysts) and returned it with much sadness.

I know this isn't everyone's experience, and at first I was going to write a rave review about how it didn't break out my sensitve, clog prone skin. But I just can't do that. It broke me out in a BIG, big way. I also didn't think my bottle smelled 'bad' or rancid but I do notice it wasn't fragrant or wonderful smelling. Just a little weird but not at all 'bad'. I know it was an older product as it was meant to be an holiday set. I am not sure if that has to do with it being more reactive or not, but honestly I don't think so. I think it's just the types of oils and types of skin. I don't think jojoba oil breaks me out, and I have tried argan oil in the past and didn't find it to be anything special but didn't notice if it broke me out or not because at the time my skin was crazy and I didn't use it long enough with a steady routine. Originally, I loved this much more than argan. I felt it sunk in better and softened skin more.

A few people mentioned this could be clogging because of the Vitamin E oil that's in it. But that's also YMMV. Some people break out to Vitamin E and some don't, just as some break out to pure maracuja or any other oil. I think on the whole I'm not a candidate for oils, but if you are the type who can handle this, and aren't acne prone, I do think it could work. Some reviewers even liked this for acne prone skin, so you never know. But I have to be honest and this is my experience with it. I won't say don't get it, but be aware this could potentially happen, as with any oil.

To Read all 154 Reviews, Login or Join

on 4/28/2016 11:11:00 PM

I had dry and dull skin. This oil makes my skin bright and plump now! It's pretty amazing. I have been using it religiously for 2 weeks and I can see a difference in my complexion. My skin is now glowing.

Love this!
Use it every night mixed with a few drops of L'Oreal Facial Glow Oil. My skin is never flaky, well moisturized & my Rosacea hasn't traded it's ugly head! This has helped make my skincare routine simple, easy and most of all very effective! No flakiness this winter!! Plus I add a bit to my lips while I'm applying it to my face...makes a great base for CD Creme de Rose lip balm to condition, soften, nourish & plump your lips overnight!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

The packaging is horrible. The coating flakes off and it gets on my face as I am applying it. I didn't notice any difference in my skin and I believe there are much better options on the market. So many companies are making oils. I will not repurchase.

Nah... Glad that I got the sample before buying the full siaze bottle. Broke me out after 3 days of usage. It doesn't really absorb quickly, and as compared to josie maran's argan oil, I think this one stays more oily and uncomfortable on my face. After 3 days of usage, I notice lots of tiny pimples around my temple, forehead and cheeks; and to get rid of them aint easy:(

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I really had my doubts about this. I remember seeing a fave youtuber of mine rave about this quite a while ago, and what she usually likes, I usually have success with. Her skin is similar to mine as far as texture goes, she says her skin leans oily in summer and dry/medium in winter, and mine does, too.. So, I always had this in the back of my mind. But the price always kept me away (little did I know they have a nice travel/trial size one..woops!!!). So, when Ulta had this almost half-price during their sale, I decided to take the plunge. But I did finally test it in the store, as I did not want to be 'stuck' with it, even if it 'was on sale,' and I really dislike returning things.

I was very pleasantly surprised when I tested this in-store. My skin immediately felt like a baby's bottom and it immediately my skin just look better. Wow, was I impressed!! I tossed one into my shopping bag with glee and practically danced to the checkout counter. But..I still kind of had some doubts way in the back of my mind..would this break me out..? Would it turn me into to a grease pit as the day wears on...? Would it make me as shiny as a disco ball..?? I am pleased to say the answer to all of those questions is no..none of those things happened..yay!!! :)

I have been using this for a week now and my first few lines/wrinkles already look almost gone (I am 45 years old) and my skin, while I never thought it had any discoloration, seems to be much more 'evened out'..amazing stuff!!

So while I probably won't buy this at full price, as it is not a bare necessity, I will definitely keep this in mind for when Ulta has their sales. It is not something that is an absolute must-have, but it sure makes the skin look (and feel) better!!

One small trivial complaint, I wish this came in a pump bottle. It gets messy really easily.

Some people say this has a foul smell..I will say I do detect barely detect a 'funny' smell, kind of like an olive oil smell, maybe..? But my nose is super-sensitive to scents, so this scent may or may not bother others. For me, the product performs so well that I can overlook the slightly unpleasant scent.

If this came in a pump bottle and was about $10.00 less than it currently retails for (currently $48.00 USD), I would gladly have given this five stars. But the messy bottle and what I feel to be overpriced, kind of makes me not feel this is a five-star product. I will say I appreciate what to me is not much of a scent at all. Again, I really have to sniff-sniff-sniff to detect any remote scent at all, and I guess to me it is just like a basic oil smell. *shrug* By no means is this scent 'unpleasant' to my sensitive nose and more importantly, my sensitive skin does not react to this badly.

Again, this is not a necessity in life, but it can definitely make your skin look and feel better...Definitely great to snag up when it is on sale!!!

ETA: I now love this product. I am convinced it has overall improved my skin appearance and texture over the few weeks I have used it. I want to always have this on-hand!!!

on 3/6/2016 1:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Coarse

My skin is incredibly oily in the summer and combination/dry/sensitive in the winter. I got this as a gift from a friend for Christmas right when my skin was flakey and no amount of moisturizer could help. I was apprehensive to using oils as I normally break out to things like Origins Cleansing Oil and olive oil. I started off with adding one drop to my Aveeno Ultra Cleaming Daily Moisturizer and I noticed a big difference. Though I couldn't fight my skin's natural state of dryness, it was much better. I could apply foundation without seeing pieces of flakes. I noticed some reviews said there were little bumps/pimples. I'm not sure at this point after 3 months of usage if those are related to this product. I'm am extremely acne prone, it could be from how harsh the winter has been on my skin (windy/brisk temperatures), hormones (no surprise here), or stress. But nonetheless, they are so minor I can look past it for now. The smell is a little midler than olive oil but I barely notice because I add it to a moisturizer. The packaging is appealing and convenient. I have not had the guts to apply it directly on my face and I don't think I ever will. I may not purchase this product again and it's only because it's opened my eyes to facial oils and I'm willing to try others on the market.

Really thought I would like this product because of the natural oils but I was wrong. I used this for a month to get a good feel for it but I ended up giving it away. It hydrated my skin nicely but left tiny flesh color bumps all over that I believe we tiny clogged pores. They were really only noticeable in the light but always noticeable to me. I don't have super sensitive skin either so I was surprised.

on 2/11/2016 10:36:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Bought the smaller size of the two from Sephora Aus ($22) just to try it out because $58 for a full sized bottle for a potential gimmick is a hefty price to pay.
Despite my initial reservations about the product I am currently pleased with the product. I've been using it at night, every night for the past two weeks and mixing it in with my foundation.
I've got normal skin, and the oil feels nice, I feel moisturized all the time and its absorbed relatively (read:slowly) well. I can't say that this product changed my life, and I can say that I lived well without it before and will probably continue to live well without it afterwards. It's just a decent moisturizer, that's all it is.