Sally Hansen Mermaid's Tale

Sally Hansen Mermaid's Tale

2.3

on 9/18/2016 8:51:00 PM

My first review at Makeup Alley - I joined to read if the performance I got from this polish was typical. The answer to that is: Yes. Oh, how I wish I'd read these reviews before buying this polish! It is gorgeous, but my bottle was very gloppy and extremely difficult to apply. I tried to apply with a sponge, but that didn't work. I did get coverage in two coats by dabbing the brush, but I see now it's not completely opaque. Despite all that jelly going on the nail, I had to apply two super thick coats of gel effect topcoat to feed the glitter. I will probably return this and maybe buy the Deborah Lipmann or an indie polish instead. Next time, I'm checking every purchase on this site :-)

on 9/11/2016 10:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

This is a sheer blue polish that would be ideal for layering as opposed to applying on its own. It has a thick brush for easy application. After applying two layers and letting it dry, I noticed the sheer blue layer got thin and didn't even out with the thickness of the glitter. I didn't have any problems with drying, I thought there was nothing wrong with it. If you gloop on layers and layers of just this polish alone, then yeah it probably wouldn't go well. Would I buy it again? Definitely.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This polish is a sheer navy base with blue and green hex glitter and blue microglitter. I layered it over OPI's Venice the Party? and it's beautiful! I didn't have any issues with the formula. The glitter clumps a tiny bit, but no more than usual. I would imagine that if you tried to get this opaque on its own you would wind up with a mess, but it layers really well.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Horrible, the pigment was EXTREMELY low and almost transparent! The price was RIDICULOUS and it takes FOREVER to dry! I applied four coats last night and it's been a few hours and it's still wet. Horribly sad about this product! :(

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I LOVE this color. It's my new favorite! I apply 3 coats of Combustible ( also, Miracle Gel), 2 coats of Mermaid's Tale, and 1 coat of topcoat. Allow each coat to dry to touch. I've had no trouble with any of the polishes being thick or goopy. I do shake the bottle pretty often, though. This color combination is stunning and gets plenty of attention.

I did try using Mermaid's Tale alone, but, after applying 1 coat on 1 nail, I decided that, as a transluscent polish, it will probably never look right by itself.

In a word, nope.

While it looks pretty in the bottle, applying this was like trying to spread bubble gum throughout my nails. The glitter pieces stuck together, and the polish itself just looked plain messy when applied. And the more coats I added, the worse my nails looked. Two attempts and ten completely acetone-ravaged nails later, I gave up and applied nice and creamy shade 540, Jaded.

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I tried Deborah Lippmann's "Across The Universe" at Sephora and fell in love with it, but just couldn't justify spending $19 on a bottle of nail polish. I Googled dupes for it and found out about this Sally Hansen polish, which is only about half the price. So I went to CVS and snagged a bottle. While the color is identical, the application is drastically different. "Across The Universe" applied like a dream and dried pretty quickly. "Mermaid's Tale," however, was super frustrating to apply. The formula is gloopy and the hex glitters tend to lump together. It needs about 4 coats to be completely opaque, and dries slowly. 4 coats of polish ends up being pretty thick... and thick polish + slow dry time = smudging.
As much as I love this color, I don't think I'll be using it that much because of how annoying the application process is.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Coarse

The color and the shimmer look beautiful in the bottle, but not so when applied. You will need at least two coats for the color to be solid, but the giant glitters cake up a lot. It takes a whole lot of time to dry, and when it does it looks uneven and patched up.
Beautiful color, terrible formula. Sally Hansen tends to have great products and awful ones at the same time.

on 7/7/2013 6:41:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

such a pretty colour in such a terrible formula. Aargh!!! doesn't apply evenly, the big glitter particles don't even lie flat on your nails when applied + the finish is really dull. wouldn't recommend

on 5/25/2013 7:22:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool

This stuff looks awesome in the magazine ads but is just a $9 bottle of clear polish with blue glitter chunks in it. I haven't been this disappointed in a long time. It only gets one lippie because I have an 8 year old niece I can give it to.

Popular Polishes